Welcome to the Scrambler Forums! The #1 forum for Ducati Scrambler Owners and Enthusiast around the world!

REGISTER today to share photos, stories, advice, get help and access member only features and forums.

Advice needed on Andreani fork cartridge setup

Discussion in 'Scrambler How-To's and Guides' started by GreenBonnie01, Sep 7, 2016.

1. GreenBonnie01

GreenBonnie01 Member

Gallery:
    I’m looking for advice and recommendations on setting up Andreani fork cartridges and a Ohlins DU505 shock on my Icon Scrambler. A far-away Ducati shop ordered (with information on my weight and riding) and installed these components on my motorcycle. The shop setup the sag (front 50mm sag w/ 3 bars or 5mm of preload; rear 45mm sag w/ 7mm distance between top lock ring and top of threads) with me on the motorcycle. I’m now in the process of finding the best settings for this new suspension. I’m a relatively sedate 145 dry / 155 geared-up lbs rider who mainly rides solo on marginally maintained secondary roads. I like a good handling motorcycle, but compliance and comfort are important.

The dampening duties on the Andreani fork cartridges are divided between the cartridges – one is for compression, the other is for rebound. The compression and rebound adjustment screws have about 4.75 turns from fully seated to topped-out. The stock setting on both cartridges is 2 turns out from fully seated. I’m finding that these settings seem harsh and I’m also experiencing something that feels like head shake on de-acceleration. The Ohlins shock has a 45-step click screw that controls (both compression? and rebound). The stock setting is 22 clicks from bottom. My impression of the rear shock is that it's firm but a big improvement over the stock shock.

I’m mainly focused on the fork adjustments, but open to all advice and recommendations. Would appreciate hearing from those who have gone through this set-up process and from those who know suspension. Thanks for your help.

2. 62Yellow

62Yellow Active Member

Gallery:
    I just had my forks done recently (Andreani), after putting the DU505 a month or two earlier, ordered both for a geared up weight of 160. I've only got a tad over 100 miles on since but if feels great now, more stable, no more hard hits front or rear. I have not correctly checked the sag but the shock raised the back 3-4mm (measured at the fender above the axle), so I dropped the fork tubes flush with the crowns to level it up. I let the shop install the fork kit and they had them flush when I picked it up. I have 3 bars showing on the preload nuts but haven't checked the other settings. It's very stable now and I'm reluctant to fiddle with them, but I guess I should baseline the settings. No head shake or any bad behavior, the shop I bought my bike from (Ducati Newport Beach) has set up a few race bikes (Pikes Peak winners), so I can't be too far off and they know more than I probably ever will.

So this post has perfect timing as I have the very same questions, hope you don't mind me piggybacking on it. Thanks

• Like Like x 1
  3. GreenBonnie01

GreenBonnie01 Member

Gallery:
    Hi 62Yellow - glad for the company. Sounds like your shop has good qualifications for this type of work. I'm relieved to hear that our fork preload is the same. Got to make a correction on the Ohlins DU505 shock - it only has preload and rebound adjustments.

4. Satansfist

Satansfist New Member

Gallery:
    You'd be surprised how much effect the rear has on front end behaviour, you might try backing off the Ohlins so things are a little "softer" in the rear and see how that affects your slight headshake on deceleration.

5. 62Yellow

62Yellow Active Member

Gallery:
    Cool, I checked my settings, Compression is 2 turns out and Rebound is the same at 2 turns out. My shock is 18 clicks out with 10.5 mm of pre-load (Gap) or threads showing from the top of the lock nut to the shoulder of the shock. The spring I have is p/n 61091-39. So you have a couple mm less preload than I do on the shock it looks like. And your out on both C & R more than twice as much as I have. You might go in a turn or two and see how it reacts. Hope some of the resident experts will comment. I'll look to see what fork spring part numbers if any are on my paperwork.

• Like Like x 1
  6. GreenBonnie01

GreenBonnie01 Member

Gallery:
    62Yellow - thanks for checking your settings. My fork screws were also initially set at 2 turns out (both compression and rebound) from bottom. Guess that must be the stock setting for the factory. I trying 3 turns out (possible max is about 4.75 turns on my C & R adjustment screws) to see if these settings help. Wasn't able to see a part number on my shock spring - can only hope the weight is correct. I'll next try making the shock rebound more responsive by increasing the clicks out to 26 (out of a possible 45 clicks) from bottom.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
  7. Let The Good Times Roll

Let The Good Times Roll Member

Gallery:
    GreenBonnie01 - I have Andreani's and Ohlins. Following is my experience. Firstly, I have to admit to being a little embarrassed because I thought if I throw a lot of money at this problem and use good branded parts, then I will have a compliant suspension. Mistake. I ended up with a bike with expensive suspension that rides almost as harsh as the original. I hated the original - it would launch my arse off the seat on just about any bump and my arms were being jiggled around like a rag doll. This got a lot worse the faster I went. However, after more money and time, I am getting somewhere mainly because I have a fantastic suspension guy here in Adelaide who understands that I want "compliance" and actual movement in my suspension. He has modified the Andreanis and the Ohlins shock (removed shims or modified the shim stack or something like that). This has made a big difference to the harshness. I guess I am lucky in that both of these components are able to be "modified". All my settings are still towards "soft" which means adjusters most of the way out. I think the Andreanis and Ohlins would be superb on a smooth racetrack but on "real world" roads they lean too much towards "performance". My suspension guy did say that there are still things he can do if I find the current setup still too harsh. Hope this helps a bit. Let The Good Times Roll - Ray.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Satansfist

Satansfist New Member

Gallery:
    Who are you using in Adelaide?

9. Let The Good Times Roll

Gallery:
    I am using Peter Hoey from Hoey Racing. Regards Ray.

10. Satansfist

Satansfist New Member

Gallery:
    lol I suspected...

11. GreenBonnie01

GreenBonnie01 Member

Gallery:
    Hi Good Times - thanks for sharing your thoughts on these components. Must confess that was my thinking also - that $ and name brand components would be the magic fix to the Scrambler's suspension woes. I'm still hoping to stumble upon settings that justify the expense of these items. I feel an improvement over stock, but not to the extent I imagined. The shock seems sorted (with 26 clicks out from bottom) and balanced with the front fork dampening, but the forks still disappoint because they're still harsh (w/ 4 full turns out from bottom) and seems to contribute to a head shake (maybe tire balance?) on de-acceleration. Still experimenting.

12. Let The Good Times Roll

Gallery:
    GreenBonnie01
    I have tried lots of different settings and never made enough difference to the harshness. That's why my suspension guy ended up having to modify the actual components (adjusting shim stacks etc.). My current settings are - Rear Shock 32 clicks out (of 42), 11mm of thread showing for preload. Front Forks - both compression and rebound 2 turns out (approx. middle of the range) and preload 8 turns out (of 10.5 max). So i'm leaning towards soft settings. My rear spring is supposed to match my weight - its a 61091-39 which means its 110N/mm. Its very important to start of with the right spring - front and rear. My sags check out ok, so I think that means my spring is ok. How are your sags front and rear - very roughly, you want about 30% (no more) as a result of you and the bike's weight. To eliminate some of the harshness, I run low tyre pressures - 32 front and rear - this is oodles considering I only weigh 72 Kg and never have a passenger. Another thing that I think adds to the harshness is the fact that the bike is so light. I have removed some of the unnecessary weight and I weighed my bike - with 10 litres of fuel it was 171kg - thats a light bike - so I think you only need "light suspension components" (my words - the best way I can explain it - sorry). Hope this helps a bit - Ray.

• Like Like x 1