Welcome to the Scrambler Forums! The #1 forum for Ducati Scrambler Owners and Enthusiast around the world!

REGISTER today to share photos, stories, advice, get help and access member only features and forums.

ANOTHER SNATCHY ICON

Discussion in 'Ducati Scrambler: Desert Sled' started by rangerover, Apr 28, 2017.

1. rangerover

rangerover Member

Gallery:
    Good afternoon fellow Snatchy Scrambler sufferers.
    My tale of woe is long and involved ,so I will try and condense .
    Firstly I am an experienced rider of some 50 yrs ( on bikes ) I also have a varied collection of bikes ,4 of which are Ducatis .
    I road tested a new Scrambler and found I could not ride iit safely using one hand ,in fact had Inot been experienced the bike and myself would have jumped into the river WHARFE.
    I was told by the dealership that this bike was indeed a one off and assured me all would be okay .
    I then bought a new icon .
    This bike behaved much as the demonstrator .
    The dealership had it back /tested it /assured me ALL was good . SEE YOU BYE .
    I persisted WITH THE SNATCHY RUNNING , I even fitted a BOOSTER PLUG , this proved ineffective and was returned .
    I was introduced by SMC of Sheffield to CORNERSPEED of Mansfield ( DUCATI TUNER ).
    They remapped the fuelling ( to race ) logo on clock).
    I again persisted, but the problem ,although lesser now ,still existed .
    Cornerspeed suggested a throttle tamer ( which they had used in trialling with some success ), I ordered this part ,and fitted ( very nice too ,+ matching red /black grips ).
    A mixture of ill health and atrocious weather set in for the next 2 months ( ENGLAND EH).
    I ventured out on the ICON 2016 last week ,the exercise was to try this `TAMER`and find tank range /seat comfort range .All of which I had found lacking .
    THE CONCLUSION , at last .
    I found the `TAMER` to work to a mediocre degree , but an improvement none the less .
    I also found the horrors tto start at 4000rpm , below this or above the snatchy problems are insignificant.
    DEFINATELY NOTRIDE one handed with the throttle in an open accelerating mode COS when it BITES you will loose the bike ,as I NEARLY DID APPROACHING A JUNCTION .
    I was luckily on a country `B` road surrounded by none fenced cornfields ( now a trip to M-S ).
    I think the SCRAMBLER range are a brill concept ,let down by EU3/4 regs ,a poor seat and small tank ,although I managed 124 miles before low fuel light .
    I am to investigate the `SLED` THROTTLE ` and see if interchangeable .
    After all ,it cant be above rocket science to fix ,.
    rangerover.

2. Brian the Sn@il

Brian the Sn@il Member

Gallery:
    Hi and welcome to the site,
    I totally agree with you about the snitch Throttle, all those Videos showing the rider standing up and having a great time lol !
    There are lots of roundabouts near me and they are a challenge to ride around, stick to 1st gear and keep revs high, use 2md and slip the clutch a bit, ? the options are endless, I muddle by and live to tell the tale, but its not fun is it :(

So I ordered both the booster plug, and the G2 Tamer, the booster plug is already installed (this afternoon) and am about to test it, but idle is better and I can pull away on tick over very easily now.

Its basically the On/Off power delivery using 1st and 2nd gear which makes it a pain.

I haven't ridden a Desert Sledd yet, but that's the bike I'm hoping to upgrade to later this year / early next year.

3. kjs

kjs Member

Gallery:
    My 65 year old father says the same thing about my Icon. He hates it and it is a constant source of amusement for me. He's been riding for close to 50 years and tries to ride it like every other bike he's ever ridden. I try and tell him to keep it above 4k and he just can't do it.

He lugs the thing around in low revs and shifts before 4k. I convinced him to try it again last week. The thing stuttered and twitched as he shifted into 2nd gear before he even left the driveway.

It fuels like a modern Ducati. The powerband is 4-6k. Keep it there regardless of gear and it's all good.

I will admit, I don't care to cruise in neighborhood speeds in 1st gear. Feels funny to be doing 25mph and roaring around 5 or 6k RPM, but 2nd gear at 25mph will stutter and surge at or under 4k...so I keep it in 1st.

4. Max Kool

Max Kool Active Member

Top Poster Of Month

Gallery:
    Surprised here.

Got a 2017 Desert Sled, and it's buttery smooth, really. Compared to my DR650SE, it actually feels significantly softer at lower throttle openings.

Btw, over the years I did re-learn to use the rear brake at lower speeds, just like we were taught in riding school doing our slaloms, figure eight, etc. Keep the throttle a few mils open, and modulate speed with the rear brake, not with the clutch. Improves stability and takes out some of the snatchyness out of the throttle (basically because you don't completely close it). This helps a lot on any bike.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Brian the Sn@il

Brian the Sn@il Member

Gallery:
    well I'm back from a 30 min ride out, with the booster plug fitted just today.
    Gear changes seem smoother, and there's a real slight difference in the on/off throttle. So its made things slightly better.
    Bear in mind I don't see over 4000rpm as I'm still running in and I'm one of those who will do 25mph in 2nd gear keeping the revs low which reading everyone's posts, is not the best rev range to be in, even though there's lots of torque low down, it seems to be best freely revving a bit higher. Cant wait to see 6000 RPM this should come alive !

• Like Like x 1
  6. Max Kool

Max Kool Active Member

Top Poster Of Month

Gallery:
    You really taking the break-in rpm limits seriously?

This engine needs to be kept over 3500rpm to freely spin. Don't lug it.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Brian the Sn@il

Brian the Sn@il Member

Gallery:
    I'm too kind, I'm thinking about future owners ;)

8. Armo

Armo Active Member

Gallery:
    I have the race mode on mine with the termi can and have no issues with the throttle, maybe the odd time with the Mrs on the back but I do have both hands on the bars.

9. Deano968

Deano968 Active Member

Gallery:
    Don't forget you can get different cams for the Throttle Tamers - may be worth looking at an even tamer cam. You probably have the 600xx as standard.

10. Hui

Hui Well-Known Member

Gallery:
    Lugging around is the best and quickest way to ruin a new engine, I'm not saying to rev the nuts off it but whatever you do, don't labour the engine.
    I could go into all sorts of technical reasons but the one most people get when made aware is the fact that every Ducati goes on the rolling road at the end of the production line and ridden through the whole rev range in every gear. I've actually stood and watched them do it.
    If you think you're doing anyone a favour by babying your engine then to be honest, you're too late.
    I would recommend just drive it as per normal (knock it back a bit if your a screamer) and let the engine spin freely.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2017
  11. chesterburnet

chesterburnet Member

Gallery:
    I'm 60 and have owned a bunch of motocross and enduro bikes.....never a street bike. So after not being on a bike for 25 years I got a Scrambler as a Christmas present. I rode a demo bike and felt that it was really hard to ride with the throttle. I was kind of embarrassed. Fortunately reading these forums makes you aware of the issues and solutions. I didn't like the stock gearing on the highway so I changed out the front sprocket to a 16 tooth. I also did a LeoVince slip on, Power Commander and had local race tuner do a remap. I think they geared this bike to accommodate the off road claims but I personally don't see this as an off road machine. That being said, the gear change really made the snatchy throttle issue go away and the exhaust and the fuel mods seem to help keep it crisp and smooth it out. I've got about 1100 miles on it now and I've adapted to the throttle. BTW...80 - 90 mph is nice and comfy now on the highways. It's Ducati and even though it's sort of an entry level bike I don't think it's meant to put around like a Harley.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. rangerover

rangerover Member

Gallery: