Welcome to the Scrambler Forums! The #1 forum for Ducati Scrambler Owners and Enthusiast around the world!

REGISTER today to share photos, stories, advice, get help and access member only features and forums.

@coterie_west "Stella the Scrambler" SCRAMTRK build

Discussion in 'Scrambler Builds' started by Minkus, May 16, 2017.

1. Minkus

Minkus Member

Gallery:
    @coterie_west

This one has been a long time coming. Work has been interesting since I picked up the Ducati Scrambler as a hobby, I've been able to meet some new friends and clients that I was fortunate enough to keep me busy by bringing by their bikes for my services here in the Los Angeles / Orange County areas of California.

[​IMG]

Long story short, I'll just get right to it with our build. Instagram makes posting so much easier but I know I should keep some documents on the forums. Its been a way of life for my old work ways, and It would be fun to potentially broaden the socal community as a whole with a new project we have going on the side with the @socalscramble name. We would love to see you guys join in on the fun as much as we are having tinkering with these bikes on a weekly basis.

So moving forward...
    ....................................................................................................

PART 1
    ....................................................................................................

Going into this "build" I already knew I wanted to get some stuff made on my own considering the "market" of aftermarket parts at the time were low and limited, and personally what I felt when I say some of the parts out there make everything look way to similar to one another. It's a fun bike to being with so I thought " to hell with it", lets just see what we could do... make parts that allows for easy installation without any permanent modifications. The day I saw the bike on the market was the day I already knew of the steps to take for how I wanted this bike. A few months of keeping her stock to really enjoy was long enough. It was time to tear her apart.

Brand new... like any other 2015 Ducati Scrambler Classic on the road with the older cb550 beater project of mines
    [​IMG]

I'm no professional, but I know I had to put pen to paper and sketch something out for the vision I wanted this build to go.

[​IMG]

the best mods are free mods, so the factory reflectors didnt last too long for both front and rear.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

when you have a vision of how you want the bike, soon after comes to money required and time to put it together, or pay to have it done.

I was lucky to have a bit of both at the time after some savings... or "moving" finances around. One of the best mods I was able to do that worked out the absolute best for me was the fully plug and play- all in one integrated Turn Signal and taillight kit that allowed me to really clean things up in the back the way I envisioned the bike to be. My friends really went to town on these things and I am proud to be the first and only representative at the time to test the unit for them and after a few months of nothing but good times and absolutely no flaws, they were able to get the papers going and make them officially DOT approved. The running turn signals and warning flashes per tap on the brake levers make for a cool look and the LED's are as bright as it is in day as it is in night. Please feel free to give me a request for them as I do have them available for anyone who might need. The one on my bike is the smoked LED version, they also come as a clear lense. /shameless plug.

[​IMG]

After getting everything cleaned up on the rear end, the sides needed some loving and my favorite of the bunch at the time... how can you build a ducati and not go with Italy? Zard was given a call and I had a pipe on order. What seemed like a hellish 4 weeks, a package finally arrived at the office so you know it was time to get to work.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Shortly after that, mind you I did the mods I know I needed to get out of the way before fully ripping her apart, was to take care of the ergonomics on her. The factory Handlebars and height of the mirrors made for a terrible way to split around town if your like me and take full advantage of the lane splitting laws. The close calls I once had with these are now gone thanks to a combo of parts via Rizoma, Renthal, and biltwell. My accounts havent heard from me in awhile so it felt good getting to talk to them once again to pick up where my old business left off.

[​IMG]

Immediately after these things, it was time to put her up on a bigger test then simply roaming around the streets of Los Angeles. Some friends planned a trip to Pismo Beach California which was a decent ride up north on the 101 freeway / PCH and I thought, to hell with jumping in a car... I'll ride and see how she treats me? haha It was a hell of a fun time but if there was one thing I could say about the scramblers on a long ride, i would have to mention the lack of wind screen.

I definitely learned the hard way since I strapped on a body camera for my go pro for a time lapse... that meant that I had to keep an upright position the whole time, any tucking from my body to prevent the headwinds would only ruined the video I was doing. I just had to man up and get the video finished which you can see as I have it attached. Was it worth it? Hell yes... will I be more prepared for the next long ride, you betcha. haha

<iframe src="2015 Ducati Scrambler Timelapse : Chasing Sunsets from MinkusReel on Vimeo" width="640" height="480" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>
    <p><a href="">2015 Ducati Scrambler Timelapse : Chasing Sunsets</a> from <a href="MinkusReel">MinkusReel</a> on <a href="Vimeo: Watch, upload, and share HD and 4K videos with no ads">Vimeo</a>.</p>

[​IMG]

Pacific Coast Highway

[​IMG]

Thus begins the break down after that ride... I felt fully comfortable with where I have her and it's time to get her apart and put together the way I envisioned her... a few months later shes final and looking like this.

[​IMG]

Don't be a stranger, I will free up some time to update you on some of the other products I make and offer as well as a semi step by step guide on the parts I chose and why I chose them to get her finished off. Its about 12:47 am while I'm typing this. Time to get some sleep!

thanks for watching and I'll be back for the fillers soon (for those who care haha :encouragement:) Let me know what you guys think and if you guys have any questions at all. Until then!

Cheers!

-Minkus

• Like Like x 4
    Last edited: May 16, 2017
  2. Minkus

Minkus Member

Gallery:
    Part two is coming up!

• Like Like x 1
  3. O2theL

O2theL Member

Gallery:
    Love it. Great description - thanks for taking the time.

I think you've pulled everything together well. Aggressive look, but not too harsh or amateur.

Awesome that you live in a desert so you don't have to worry about mud guards!!

Those tires look great, but any comments on the daily drive-ability. Large compromise, or something you get used to?

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Max Kool

Max Kool Active Member

Top Poster Of Month

Gallery:
    Wonderful bike neighbor!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Minkus

Minkus Member

Gallery:

i was just going to address this in the new two or so parts i planned on putting together but i'll just get this out of the way now.

With the factory MT pirelli tires... I was absolutely in love. those things did great for me and took me everywhere i needed the bike to take me. Even more so when I got caught in the rain with them, I have nothing but good things to say about them.

Moving onto the new pirelli Rallye tires, I was very skeptical about the noise and possible vibration I will be getting from them off of first look, they surprisingly didn't do bad but I do have to add that the first few rides with them took alot of relearning on the bike. getting familiar with the new tires took some work since they do ride like a block

I didn't think about going with a steering stabilizer until these tires come into play and the stabilizer I added onto the bike fixed that exact problem. the confidence in riding really went back up but I would only "use" the damper for freeway rides, other wise for local rides, I would turn the settings back down to zero and it rode like the way it should. These tires weren't made to last long for local rides, and I know that... but funny thing is, after about 600 miles and with the tires worn in or should I say "broken" in and rounded out a bit, I have since stopped using the stabilizer unless I'm on a longer freeway ride then im supposed to towards a road I have yet to visit.

As much as I want to change the tires up when time comes, I will probably redo it all over again because I absolutely love the way it looks on the bike and from some of the local fire roads I've managed to get myself on, these things are absolutely rad.

with that said... does anyone possibly have some factory wheels that they are getting rid of? I'm looking to purchase a second set to beat up :icon_thumright:

[​IMG]

6. Minkus

Minkus Member

Gallery:

cheers!

7. Max Kool

Max Kool Active Member

Top Poster Of Month

Gallery:
    You built that headlight shroud yourself?

• Like Like x 1
  8. Minkus

Minkus Member

Gallery:
    oh man, youre going to make me jump stories haha but yes, another thing that I've envisioned for some time now

• Like Like x 1
  9. Max Kool

Max Kool Active Member

Top Poster Of Month

Gallery:
    Plus cool!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Minkus

Minkus Member

Gallery:
    PART 2

continuing where I left off yesterday.

After going on that trip up north, I figure it was time to finally break her down and do what I had originally planned as... stage 2 of the build I guess you can say. I do have one last iteration for one last update for the Custom Rumble think with Ducati so I knew I wanted to do something first to get the ball rolling and save the other stuff for later on which I will be posting up here and on Instagram page @coterie_west where we try to do daily updates on our bike adventures.

[​IMG]

Before putting on the new tires and getting rid of the old paint... you know its only right to do whats traditional for a bike owner. Burn outs and dirt play.

Its time to pull her apart.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

From the old business and past projects, I've been able to carry over my services into the Ducati Scrambler world with some side panels and slim seat that I had drawn up. Everything so far has been hand made and I want to be able to expand my services further more the help of the forums and social media. Please feel free to contact my to see what we can do for you.

[​IMG]

Front fender from scratch, the factory classic unit wouldnt fit with the new tire. but we were fine with that.
    [​IMG]

I made some parts to relocate the ECU while still keeping everything tidy out back. Reasons for this will be explained in a later post. Theres alot of little detail stuff that I will keep out for attention span reasons, but if you spot the things in the pictures, you will know what was done. For those whose gotten the time to tear the bike apart and figure out how ducati lines everything up... you will know that its a bitch and a half, but man the bike is so worth it I say!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One of the main pieces that we really wanted to spend time on was the front headlight and cowl... without making it flat to look like every other "tracker" build... or going to big and have it look like a Harley. I knew something needed to be done to make it my own.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Baja Design unit was chosen to be the center piece. The unit comes with a square aluminum overlay, we got a circle piece to replace the block for a better look.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The tires showed up
    [​IMG]

I went with a different size over OEM and the difference was crazy. I was a bit worried at that time the front wouldnt clear the works or give the engine any clearance. IT worked out perfectly.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

plenty of times this thing had to go back together just to be ripped apart again to see how everything will flow.

[​IMG]

as posted early, another product that goes hand in hand with the slim seat combo is my side panels. Small story... I may be biased, but everything available on the market was terrible and timing to order and receive the product was terrible. I know i needed to make something new so I went with it.

[​IMG]

Simplifying the handbars and wires takes some time but its honestly the best thing you can do for the bike visually... that costs little to nothing granted I had some of the loom already. You can do it which way you may want, this is just something I have done to all of my bikes in the past, so I carry the idea over everytime.
    [​IMG]

Take what you see and throw a month and some change in time from beginning to end, we are ready to finally paint.

[​IMG]

why it took so long to get to this point... I know I needed to find the right paint. Something custom and nothing off the shelf. A few visits to the paint store and my guy decided to get a custom one off mix going so I can really call Stella mine. Some house of Kolor and PPG was thrown in the mix and I have my own grey. Thats about it for today, I'll get back into it on Part 3. Thanks for following !

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  11. trebor01

trebor01 Active Member

Gallery:
    Like that steering damper and was trying to find one .Where did you get it ?Great build and not a bad garage either

12. Minkus

Minkus Member

Gallery:
    hey bud, its a kit that I put together, using a RB steering damper. I've sold a few kits already and people love them if this is something that you're interested in, feel free to send me a PM. its definitely a lot cheaper than the kits on the market thats for sure! It doesn't make sense spending over 500 for this IMO. Its not replica stuff either.. but what do I know :book1:

thanks for the compliment!

• Like Like x 1
Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted