Welcome to the Scrambler Forums! The #1 forum for Ducati Scrambler Owners and Enthusiast around the world!

REGISTER today to share photos, stories, advice, get help and access member only features and forums.

Ducati rear sprocket change .

Discussion in 'Scrambler Performance' started by rangerover, Jun 5, 2017.

1. rangerover

rangerover Member

Gallery:
    Hello ,to all eager readers .
    Now that I have sorted the throttle problem on my ICON , I now find the gearing to be quite low .
    On my other bikes I have altered the rear sprocket so as to make the bike less `lively` and more `long legged`.
    Has anyone changed to a lower rear sprocket ,ie 44 tth ,as against 46 tth.
    thankyou range rover .

2. Max Kool

Max Kool Active Member

Top Poster Of Month

Gallery:
    You may want to add an extra tooth to the front sprocket instead. This will most likely not require taking out links from the existing chain, which installing a 44 or smaller rear sprocket does.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. mr shifter

mr shifter Active Member

Gallery:
    I've dropped the rear sprocket two teeth down to 44 teeth and find it much improved, personally there is no way that I would increase the front sprocket as there's not a lot of space.

4. Max Kool

Max Kool Active Member

Top Poster Of Month

Gallery:
    Kept the same chain?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. mr shifter

mr shifter Active Member

Gallery:
    No Max I replaced the original chain with an upgraded gold chain which I'd planned from the start.

Now on to bigger front sprockets, if you'd witnessed the damage that a broken chain causes to the engine case of a Ducati you would realise why I would rather drop two teeth off the rear sprocket.

A lot of long time owners of Ducati's fit what they call a case saver usually it's made of titanium.

Geoff

6. Max Kool

Max Kool Active Member

Top Poster Of Month

Gallery:
    That's good info!

(always thought a 16 tooth was a straight fit)

btw, although I see purpose of a case saver, I never had a chain breaking on me. I guess I replace them far enough in advance? Got lucky?

7. mr shifter

mr shifter Active Member

Gallery:
    Mr shifter!! Well that's my forum name because for eight years I drove Ducati Manchester's van as a hobby picking up and delivering bikes all over the UK.
    I witnessed broken chains that had done damage to engine cases so that's why I prefer working on the rear sprocket, the few that have ridden my scrambler all agree that the gearing is so much better than standard.

Geoff.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Mike Westall

Mike Westall Member

Gallery:
    I've been considering that change as well.. The Ducati Scrambler motor is obviously capable of pulling 130+ MPH ... but it runs out of RPM at 110. Now I don't want to ride faster than 80 (I'm 70+ years old). But the scrambler would easily pull 80 MPH in 6th about 1000 RPM lower than the stock gearing.

I bought a Triumph Trophy 500 new in 1970 and gave it away a couple of years ago to make room in my basement for the Scrambler.. It is amazing how similar their handling characteristics are. And they both had the "off road" low gearing. When I got my Trophy 500 running (after a 25 year rest) about 10 years ago, I wanted to put Daytona (The OLD 500CC T100R) sprockets on it but couldn't find them.

I also still have a couple of other bikes that are pertinent to this discussion.

My Suzi DR650's stock chain lasted almost 30,000 miles. I replaced it with a DID "gold" chain that cost about $180. That chain was a SUPREME disappointment, it lasted only about 15,000 miles before it started showing kinked links when parked.. If you want to avoid broken chains you do NOT want to run with links that kink. So I went back to whatever the Suzi "stock chain of the day was". I cost about $110 and after 15,000 miles it is still looking fine.

My 3rd ride is my "old man's" ride .. a Suzi Tu 250x. It is also geared low (for good reasons -- it has 15 HP). In stock form it is 15/43.
    Some folks on the TU forum insist on changing to 16T front and 41T rear.. To each his own but that is not for me.

9. timbmayb

timbmayb Member

Gallery:
    Over the winter I bought new chain and front 16 tooth and rear 43 tooth sprockets. Also got the ABBA super-pro bike lift and glad I did. Made it a breeze to take apart the back end. If you get an ABBA, you should also get the option to lift the front wheel. It really works!

Anyway, I replaced the rear sprocket and chain and have been riding it like that so far this year. The 43 tooth rear sprocket made a very nice difference in that it feels much less like it needs another gear. And because the engine is so torque-y off of idle it really isn't any harder to get moving. I haven't replaced the front sprocket yet and am not in a hurry to now. With the new sprocket, 4000 rpm in top gear is almost exactly 60 mph.

I had to borrow a friends chain breaker and grinder to get the old chain off and ended up having to remove one link from the new 104 link chain.

10. rangerover

rangerover Member

Gallery:
    Thank you Max KOOL ,
    I was to try a 44 tooth rear ( Renthal ) .
    I was trying to `wait` until the rear tyre needed replacing ,I would then do the sprocket ,chain ,tyre in one hit ,but ,what the hell ,a wheel removal cant be that hard .
    Do you have any `data` on before and after results .
    rangerover .

11. rangerover

rangerover Member

Gallery:
    Hello Mr Shifter , did you use a Renthal sprocket AND where from .
    Some where on the forum pages there iis a chart showing different performance ratings for rear sprocket changes .
    HAS ANYONE SEEN IT ,and KNOW WHERE IT IS PLEASE .
    Also my dealer wants to know which MUTISTRADA it is when asking about foot pegs . PLEASE HELP .ANYONE .
    rangerover .

12. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Member

Gallery:
    According to this thread:

New footpegs : coming from Multistrada 1200

They're off of a MTS 1200 or 850 (same part, same price) and the Ducati part numbers (for the 1200, if you want the 950 ones just ad a second "a" to the end) are:

The LH footrest is part no. 464.1.060.1A and it's rubber is part no. 765.1.003.1A
    The RH footrest is part no. 464.1.059.1A and it's rubber is part no. 765.1.002.1A
    If you need the springs the part no. is 799.1.499.1A

Here in the USA that would run me about $70 plus shipping.

• Useful Useful x 1
Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted