Welcome to the Scrambler Forums! The #1 forum for Ducati Scrambler Owners and Enthusiast around the world!

REGISTER today to share photos, stories, advice, get help and access member only features and forums.

Exhaust Sliders?

Discussion in 'Scrambler Talk' started by Airsafari87, Jun 7, 2017.

1. Airsafari87

Airsafari87 Active Member

Gallery:
    I have a bit of an issue with mid section of my exhaust.

As you can see in the photo below, its not far away from being ground right through, and I need some form of exhaust slider or something before it does wear right through.
    I'm conscious of not putting something too thick there as it will only limit ground clearance further, and I don't fancy having something immovable there that will take the weight off the tyres while cornering.

Has anyone else fitted anything similar to their bike? Or have any suggestions of what can be fitted to try and protect what's left of the Exhaust??
    20170607_201615.jpg

2. Sprint1500

Sprint1500 New Member

Gallery:
    Sorry I don't know of any suitable slider, but would exhaust wrap do the job? BTW what tyres are you running that give you the confidence to lean so far over?

3. Max Kool

Max Kool Active Member

Top Poster Of Month

Gallery:
    Ever considered adding suspension spring preload both front ant rear?

4. Airsafari87

Gallery:
    Wrap won't cut it, plus I'm not a fan of the wrap look either if I'm honest.

I'm on Michellin Pilot Road 3's at the minute, but it was still going down when I was on the MT60's.

5. Airsafari87

Gallery:
    Pre load is on max on the rear.

No option of adding any to the front either due to the OEM forks having no adjustability.

6. Sprint1500

Sprint1500 New Member

Gallery:
    Have you ridden with Pirelli Angel GTs? Only asking because although I am impressed with stock MT60s, all my riding is road so working out which tyre should be next...

7. Airsafari87

Gallery:
    Nope, I have heard good things about them though.

To be honest though I really can't say anything bad about the Michellins. I've been pushing them further and further in this rain we have been having this week and they do nothing but inspire utter confidence in the wet, just like they do in the dry.

8. Max Kool

Max Kool Active Member

Top Poster Of Month

Gallery:
    The problem here is, if you install some slider, it will only touch down earlier. And that can lead to lifting a wheel while leaning over (something's got to give right?).

The header needs to be tucked in under the engine (impossible), or routed up instead of down next to the engine.

The only other option is adding preload or length to the front and rear suspension, but you figured that out already..

sorry mate...

ps, are you the only one with this problem, or has this occurred with others as well?

9. Airsafari87

Gallery:
    Yeah like I mentioned in my opening post, I'm conscious of having something too thick there due to issues that would arise from the rear wheel lifting.

I agree, as far as the stock suspension goes, I am at the limit of the available adjustability. And to be honest I really don't want to spend money on new forks (or fork internals) or a rear shock, I don't think the bike warrants it.

As for anyone else having the same issue? I've not heard of it, but I would be very surprised if others haven't had the same thing happen? The exhaust goes down not too long after the pegs have been down, and they go down pretty easily anyway and I know plenty of people have reported that happening, so it would be fair to assume that other have ground the exhaust too.
    Tbh I didn't even realise I was doing it at first, I only noticed it when I dropped something on the floor under the bike and was looking for it, that I spotted it. Until then I had always assumed that it was just the pegs touching.

10. Damnation

Damnation Member

Gallery:
    Can confirm, the stock silencer touched the tarmac in every right bend as I got confident on track. I mounted a high pipe, mostly for looks but it also helps for this problem.

11. Deano968

Deano968 Active Member

Gallery:
    Doesn't the low bit of the high pipe run in the same place on the bike?

12. Damnation

Damnation Member

Gallery:
    Nope.

[​IMG]

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted