Welcome to the Scrambler Forums! The #1 forum for Ducati Scrambler Owners and Enthusiast around the world!

REGISTER today to share photos, stories, advice, get help and access member only features and forums.

Gauge relocation

Discussion in 'Ducati Scrambler: Icon' started by al399, Apr 12, 2017.

1. al399

al399 Member

Gallery:
    I'd like to know if anyone has attempted to relocate the gauge in the center using the original Icon handlebars...
    is it doable?

2. rhysbach

rhysbach Member

Gallery:
    see a few with the gauge on the tank side of the handle bars not seen any dead centre though would imagine it is doable based on that

3. ScramblinGraham

ScramblinGraham Member

Gallery:
    Ive relocated the gauge but i used rizoma's bracket. The Rizoma bracket needs an 1 1/8 size bar and the stock bars are 7/8s so you have to swap out stock bars for Full Throttle bars, Rizoma bar, etc. You could fab up your own bracket to go under the stock clamp and cut off the existing mounting point if you are handy at fabrication and reuse your stock bars.

4. Hui

Hui Well-Known Member

Gallery:
    You don't say if you want the clock on the tank side or out front where I think it should be.
    I fitted mine on the tank side and I'm not sure I should have compromised, next time round (which won't be long) I intend fitting the clock out front and centre.
    If you want it out front above the headlight then the show stopper is the ignition barrel, there isn't really a place to re-locate it and look factory as it's quite bulky. Plus you lose the steering lock function.

5. ScramblinGraham

ScramblinGraham Member

Gallery:
    Im not stoked about the tank side location either. It puts the gauge out of view and you have to look down to see it. How do you plan to relocate the ignition barrel Hui?

6. Hui

Hui Well-Known Member

Gallery:
    Not 100% sure yet, once I decide to strip the bike I'll see better what can be done. One plan was to relocate altogether and put it at the side panel below the seat. Another was to fit another clock (rev counter) to the left side of similar size and go for the symmetrical look and leave the ignition barrel.
    I don't mind not having a steering lock, in fact if I could bypass the transponder I would just have a basic on/off key switch.
    Ditching the standard gauge and fitting something better is tempting but the ecu needs to communicate with it.

7. ScramblinGraham

ScramblinGraham Member

Gallery:
    Id really like to relocate the key to the panel under the seat but I've been waiting for someone else to do it first. Ideally, id like to strip the ABS system for braided lines direct to the calipers, a single bucket headlight without the fairing bracket, key located somewhere out of the way and a simple old school analog speedo. i should have bought an old cb750...

8. Max Kool

Max Kool Active Member

Top Poster Of Month

Gallery:
    btw, if you're thinking about relocating your speedo, take a look at these guys.

9. Hui

Hui Well-Known Member

Gallery:
    That might work apart from the fact it doesn't re-locate it anywhere. It's purely to enable other risers to be used and leave the speedo offset

10. Hui

Hui Well-Known Member

Gallery:
    If the barrel unit can be made smaller by removing the locking mechanism that inserts into the headstock it would make it easier to find somewhere to put it.
    The speedo is part of the management and or the security system and needs to see a signal before start-up. It's also part of the self diagnosis.
    I'ts 'maybe' possible that after the initial sweep and fault check that the clock sends an OK signal to the ECU and if the signal is just a completed live circuit then it could be by-passed.
    Why do you want to remove the ABS ? (not saying you shouln't) just curious.
    I have fitted a braided brake line but only to the ABS unit from the master cylinder as the original lines are already braided. I only wanted to get rid of the washing line.

11. Derek

Derek Active Member

Gallery:
    If you relocate the ignition switch you will also have to extend the wiring to the immobiliser antenna which is located around the ignition lock barrel.

12. ScramblinGraham

ScramblinGraham Member

Gallery:
    Mostly just for looks, less clutter. Id like to chop the frame under the seat and weld in a loop with an integrated LED taillight strip embedded into the loop. Being able to remove the ABS would free up space under the seat to move the stuff that i would have to keep. The Holographic Hammer Scrambler is my dream of what id want mine to look like.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted