Welcome to the Scrambler Forums! The #1 forum for Ducati Scrambler Owners and Enthusiast around the world!

REGISTER today to share photos, stories, advice, get help and access member only features and forums.

Hand Guard ideas

Discussion in 'Ducati Scrambler: Desert Sled' started by dkaplun, Jun 12, 2017.

1. dkaplun

dkaplun Active Member

Gallery:
    Guys,

I am likely going to be picking up a second scrambler to replace my UE that was stolen from my home in December. The original plan was to turn the UE into a legit light to medium off-roader, but now with the Sled coming, it is an easier project to start with the Sled first.

Having said that, I am looking for ideas for legit handguards in case (and when) the bike gets dropped. I prefer full length levers, so larger hand guards are ideal. I saw that evotech is making something that 'might' fit but not sure how rugged those are, plus they appear too pricey. Any thoughts?

So far the build is:
    Ducati heated grips
    Ducati engine guards
    head protection
    termi performance pipe
    modified skid plate (as the OEM won't fit)
    rectifier guard
    oil cooler guard
    bendable shift lever
    low seat (I am short)
    rear bobbins
    front brake reservoir cover
    small handlebar bag

2. Max Kool

Max Kool Active Member

Top Poster Of Month

Gallery:
    You're going to have a problem finding an aftermarket exhaust for the Desert Sled, except for those routed up maybe (like this one) . Warm right leg on this one....

96480691A.png

The exhaust mounts differently to the bike (mounting point is more forward than on the other Scrambler models), and the Termi Desert Sled still uses the existing twin stinger exhaust...

3. dkaplun

dkaplun Active Member

Gallery:
    That is exactly the pipe I will be fitting on it. I had the same setup on my UE but believe it or not, that pipe runs far far far cooler than the OEM one.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Max Kool

Max Kool Active Member

Top Poster Of Month

Gallery:
    Serious? I would never have thought that.

5. dkaplun

dkaplun Active Member

Gallery:
    Me neither, but that is the truth. When I bought the UE last year, I rode home from Texas to Philly on the regular pipe, and it was burning. First thing I did when I got home is put the overhead pipe on, and was shocked at the coolness; at over 90 degrees outside, I could put my hand on the pipe and it felt cool. Highly recommend that pipe and why I am putting it on the next build. Plus, with the mapping, that bike ran almost as well as if it were a 2 stroke. Amazing response.

• Like Like x 1
  6. ddennedy

ddennedy New Member

Gallery:
    I saw that exhaust mounted on my dealer's wall. How much is it? I wonder if it (with remap) will void my warranty and extended warranty? I am used to the high rise Arrow exhaust on my Triumph and not concerned. Don't run luggage either to worry about that. I already scratched the stock silencer when I layed it down on dirt.

7. ScramblinGraham

ScramblinGraham Active Member

Gallery:
    I think i met you on the Tail of the Dragon this past weekend. Is this Dimitri? I was on the UE riding with Honda Groms and a DRZ.

• Like Like x 1
  8. trebor01

trebor01 Active Member

Gallery:
    Warranty should be fine it is a Termi After all as for handguards I have the Bark busters on mine .Bit of fiddling to fit but not to big but still have Ali backbone.

9. dkaplun

dkaplun Active Member

Gallery:
    Yep, it was me. I was on that huge KTM. Amazing! I would say it is a small world, but we already knew that.

If you look in my past posts, you can see the build I started with the UE that was stolen. Hopefully this Sled will not be...and is in fact being modified now with the pipe. Pics to follow once he comes home.

The 'dealer' price is about 1390 without a map and 1904 USD with a map. I snagged it from ebay with a map for 1500 from a dealer in California. Trust me when I say that it is actually worth the money and makes the bike run much better.

What he said. Termi, if installed by dealer, does not void the warranty as it is a authorized aftermarket part, especially since fully half of the models now come with termis as standard equipment.

10. Max Kool

Max Kool Active Member

Top Poster Of Month

Gallery:
    F*ck that, 500 bucks for a remap only.

Im keeping the stock exhaust.

11. thomasDS

thomasDS New Member

Gallery:
    Please post some pictures when you installed the exhaust

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. trebor01

trebor01 Active Member

Gallery:
    Only $250 for your own Tune boy or similar is all you need .Surely some one you know has one ?