Welcome to the Scrambler Forums! The #1 forum for Ducati Scrambler Owners and Enthusiast around the world!

REGISTER today to share photos, stories, advice, get help and access member only features and forums.

Icon Seat Choices!

Discussion in 'Scrambler Talk' started by Hawkeye, May 4, 2017.

1. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Member

Gallery:
    Hi all:

I picked up my '16 Icon (red) on Sunday. I've got about 160 miles on it now and I am just totally thrilled with the bike in all ways.

Except the seat.

The seat is killing my rear end. Like I can go about 25 miles before I'm on fire, so it's time to rectify that.

I had considered the Mustang seat as I hear good things about them, they look, ok, etc. The downsides are two:

1) I would miss the storage space that you lose. I'm used to a BMW where you can carry a full toolkit, the manual, and a ton of other stuff.

2) It's not waterproof. My bike lives outside under a cover, and while that helps, sometimes it's likely going to get damp, and I hate having a wet rear end after it rains.

So the other option is the Seat Concepts cover and foam. I like this because it retains the stock storage, and you can waterproof the foam with a layer of plastic.

However... I need to choose, brown or black? My initial thought was black, until I realized that the black covers are a totally different design than the brown ones. I really like the design of the brown ones, and I am much less a fan of the design of the black ones. My bike is red, and I'm honestly not sure what I'd think of a brown seat on a black / red bike. I've looked around a little, but does anyone have pictures of either Seat Concepts cover (particularly the brown one) on a red Icon?

Thanks!

2. greer

greer Well-Known Member

Gallery:
    I chose brown because I didn't like the look of the black, either. I like it well enough, and I think it would look especially nice on a red bike. If I get tired of the brown I'll get a can of vinyl paint and spray it black.

Sarah

3. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Member

Gallery:
    So the brown color that they use.... in some pics it looks *very* dark, and in some it looks like kind of a rich medium brown. What would you call it?

4. Damnation

Damnation Member

Gallery:
    I highly recommend the Sargent seat. Yes, it's expensive but you get to keep the storage space and it's waterproof. And very, very comfortable.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Member

Gallery:
    I thought about the Sargent, but honestly I don't like the way that it looks all that much. Otherwise, they look great.

I had a Corbin saddle on my BMW, and loved it. I could ride that bike literally all day and not be the least bit sore, but I *really* don't like the way that the Corbins for the Scrambler look at all.

So right now I am leaning toward a brown Seat Concepts (the linear stitched one, not the diamond stitch). Almost ordered one today but figured I'd look around a little this weekend and then order on Monday.

6. TC3

TC3 Well-Known Member

Gallery:
    Changed the rear shock and Icon seat has been great since

Tony

7. grey.hound

grey.hound Member

Gallery:
    I have a seat from British Customs. I like it somewhat. It sits me higher up, so it's good for the knees and hips, but also up higher in the wind which I noticed immediately on the open road. it's also flat so I can scoot way back. But it still has some issues where the hump is from the toolkit. Way more comfortable than stock but not a complete solution.

Brown Diamond Stitch Seat Kit for Ducati Scrambler
    here it is on my bike.
    My Sixty2

8. edm11

edm11 New Member

Gallery:
    Ordered this Mustang seat Monday $296 free shipping Revzilla & it came today, Fri. Can't ride for a while, but initial impressions confirm what others say about how good this seat is. I can't wait to put some miles on.

It looks way better in person, has a low profile & I understand now the previous comment "I didn't know where to sit on the Scrambler until I got a Mustang seat." Not sure who said that. Height seems very close to stock but wider & way more supportive. It's driving me crazy not being able to give a test ride yet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: May 5, 2017
  9. edm11

edm11 New Member

Gallery:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The top seam width is 7" oem vs 8.5" Mustang where you sit on the bike.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: May 5, 2017
  10. greer

greer Well-Known Member

Gallery:
    I'd call the Seat Concepts a rich medium brown. DSCN3664.JPG DSCN3668.JPG

I think I read somewhere that it's possible to stretch the factory cover over the Seat Concepts foam, maybe so, but I think it would be some work.

Sarah

• Like Like x 1
  11. Auriga

Auriga Active Member

Gallery:
    My Mustang seat is slightly too low, so I have added an Airhawk pad, to increase the height and comfort: it works very well, but does detract somewhat from the looks. Whilst it does not matter at all to me, as I take the bike from the garage, ride it on local single track roads and only park it when filling with fuel, I can well imagine that others will not agree: a couple of photos from yesterday's ride are attached. image.jpeg image.jpeg

Over the years, I have had four Corbin seats and found all very comfortable, but that for the Scrambler seemed far too expensive, so I chose the Mustang.

12. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Member

Gallery:
    Thanks, Sarah. I'd seen your pictures before. I think that's the seat I'm going with. Once I get it here and installed, I'll throw up some pics of it on my red Icon for others who might be looking.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted