Welcome to the Scrambler Forums! The #1 forum for Ducati Scrambler Owners and Enthusiast around the world!

REGISTER today to share photos, stories, advice, get help and access member only features and forums.

Longer tire life

Discussion in 'Scrambler Talk' started by Mike Westall, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Mike Westall

Mike Westall Member

Gallery:
    I bought my Icon last July and it looks like my rear tire will be nearly tread free in the middle of the tire next month when it reaches 4,000 miles. I'm 70 years old and definitely do not ride especially aggressively (any more). Has anyone found tires that will last somewhat longer when a geezer is riding?

2. Black dog

Black dog Member

Gallery:
    Mine were shot at 3500 not an agressive riding style replaced with Dunlop Roadsmart 3

3. greer

greer Well-Known Member

Gallery:
    Take a look at the Pirelli Angel GT's.

Sarah

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. LadyBishop

LadyBishop Active Member

Gallery:
    There are many posts to do with tyres (tires). If you're not precious about the 'rugged' look of the useless stock tyre, I have just got over 10,000 miles on my front and about 7500 on my rear using Michelin Pilot 3s. Superb grip in the rain too, if thats your thing. I'm just about to have my 15000 mile service where they will finally replace my front though I reckon I could go another 1500 without too many scares. These miles were mainly done on appalling Cornish road surfaces at reasonable (?!) speeds.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Ogre

Ogre Well-Known Member

Gallery:
    +1 on the Michelin Pilot Road 3s

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Pygsli

Pygsli New Member

Gallery:
    Mine was bald at 1700 miles and I couldn't justify spending money on another MT60 so I bought a pair of the Angel GT's. Only done 800 miles so far but loving them.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  7. Badgermat

Badgermat Member

Gallery:
    Another Angel GT user here.

Can't comment about life yet since I've only had them on for 1,000 kms or so, but online reviews suggest roughly twice the life of the original MT60s.

You'll lose the off-roadish looks of the originals but grip and feel-wise they are terrific, making the bike a lot more confident through corners, particularly and in the wet.

bm

8. Hui

Hui Well-Known Member

Gallery:
    I'm glad you've said you only got 1700 miles from a set as that's exactly what I got from mine but it seems too diferent from what others are stating. I did however get another pair of MT's as they stick like sh1t to a duvet, plus I wanted the look.
    On my other 'big' bikes I always lean towards Michelins if I can get them, even now this year they've brought out a rear Power 3 to fit my wifes Diavel . Just a pity they don't do a front in the Scrambler size but I do recomend Road 3's which can be had. Best all round tyre I've used, including track days.
    Avon ST would be the best milage.

9. Mike Westall

Mike Westall Member

Gallery:
    Thanks, folks! I run Michelin Pilots on my little Suzi TU 250X and I like them a lot. I don't do much "scrambling" on my scrambler, but every ride has two scrambling segments. My bikes live in the basement and I have to navigate a narrow uphill unpaved path to get to my driveway. The path is about 70 feet long and has about a 25 foot increase in elevation. It can get a bit dicey when wet.. but the rear tire on the scrambler is so wide I figure I can deal with the lack of tread.

10. LazyCody

LazyCody New Member

Gallery:
    Has anybody found a tire that's more dirt suitable with an equal, or greater, tread life? I just did my 7500 mile service and they advised that I should look into new tires soon(These were the stock tires that were on the bike when new). I commute regularly on the highway during the weekdays, but on the weekends I'm usually digging my bike out of mud and sand.

• Like Like x 1
  11. greer

greer Well-Known Member

Gallery:
    You might read up on the TKC80's, but be aware the proper front tire is not sold in the US, so folks here use a rear instead. And seems like I saw a picture of a meaner Pirelli tire on a Scrambler, but I can't remember where.

Sarah

12. Plantboy

Plantboy Active Member

Gallery:
    I fitted Pirelli Scorpion Trail 2s to my Icon after the original's were stuffed at 5000 kms. However, as the Trail 2s only make a 19" front in 100/90 and not 110/80 as specified for the rim, I fitted the narrower tyre up front. Having now done about 4000 kms with this combination I can only report that the Trail 2s handle as well as I need them to on both sealed and unsealed roads, and are giving far better wear than the oem tyres.

While the Trail 2s are a good dual-sport tyre they are definitely not an off-road tyre. Also when inflated around 32/33 psi the front feedback on tar is noticeably superior to the originals, though corner turn-in may be a little slower owing to a slightly less rounded front profile.

Mike, FWIW a glance at my profile will reveal that I am possibly verging on geezer-hood myself, so keep at it mate.

• Like Like x 1
Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted