Welcome to the Scrambler Forums! The #1 forum for Ducati Scrambler Owners and Enthusiast around the world!

REGISTER today to share photos, stories, advice, get help and access member only features and forums.

Maintenance Cost for a Ducati Scrambler

Discussion in 'Scrambler Talk' started by MylifeOnThisEarth, Mar 26, 2017.

?

If you were given a free bike..

1. Ducati Scrambler (any model)

2. Yamaha XSR 900

3. Truimph Street twin

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. MylifeOnThisEarth

MylifeOnThisEarth New Member

Gallery:
    Hello everyone, I was planning on buying a Ducati Scrambler, I already did my research on the bike, although I still can't seem to decide whether to get the Yamaha XSR900 or the Street Twin. I know that Ducati as a brand has become more reliable throughout the years.

I was all set in getting the new scrambler till I saw someone say the 2nd service maintenance cost of Ducati scrambler was $1000+ is that true? So you have the bike serviced every 7500 miles? Why does it cost that much for the 2nd service? Is it because they replace the valve or something? And does the 3rd, 4th, 5th service maintenance charge still be over $1000+ or will it go down?

Sorry, I'm a bit new to bikes. And if anyone knows the service miles and cost for maintaining an XSR900 and a street twin, feel free to comment and let me know.
    Thanks guys, cheers.

2. Derek

Derek Active Member

Gallery:
    At the only Scottish dealer the cost of the major service is £464, that's about $580. Any shims required would be extra. If it is due a set of cam belts you could add another $100. So a major service including belts shouldn't cost more than about $600 - $700

3. Deano968

Deano968 Active Member

Gallery:
    ... and please correct me if I'm wrong Derek but the expensive part of the service is mileage based rather than time based? So for me who is a wuss and only manages 3000 km a year my expensive service is a way off yet.

I'd still say these aren't the cheapest bikes to run/maintain so if that's a concern MLOTE, you and your wallet may be happier with one of the Japanese offerings (I'm speaking from an Australian perspective here).

4. Derek

Derek Active Member

Gallery:
    Yes, you are correct. Major desmo service is every 7,500 miles. That's about 3 yearly for me. I ride about 10,000 miles a year but that's spread over 4 bikes.

5. Joooooooosh

Joooooooosh Active Member

Gallery:
    It's not purely mileage based. Belts require doing 2 years or 15,000 miles. Which ever comes first. Even if the bike isn't used the belts still stretch under tension.

6. LadyBishop

LadyBishop Active Member

Gallery:
    Get the Ducati if you want a Ducati. Get the Triumph if you want to keep costs down.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Derek

Derek Active Member

Gallery:
    And if you read the Owner's Manual the belts are stated as requiring changing ever 15,000 mile or 5 years, whichever comes first. This came as a surprise to me because all the other 803cc engines are stated as changing the belts at 15,000 miles or 2 years.

Screen Shot 2017-03-28 at 09.06.56.png

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. vincelp

vincelp Active Member

Gallery:
    Hello

The maintenance cost is not the only part of a bike ownership costs : fuel, tyres, insurances are also important costs to take in account. The initial price and selling revenue are also part of the ownership costs.

On my previous bikes, I made a comparizon including all these elements and I came to the conclusion that my Ducati ST2 was less expensive per km than my Honda VFR800 : 0.23 Euro/km vs 0.26 Euro/km

The Ducati ST2 needs to be serviced every 10000 km when the Scrambler needs to be every 12000 km. So service cost should be even smaller than the ST2 one.

Ducati ST2 : Le Web B@zar > Budget d'entretien
    Honda VFR800 : Le Web B@zar > Budget d'entretien

9. LazyCody

LazyCody New Member

Gallery:
    I just had my 7,500 mile service and it came out to a hair over $800. It would've been almost $200 less, but I did a poor job maintaining my chain so I had them replace it.

10. JMarty

JMarty Member

Gallery:
    I just had mine done here in Austin. Came to $937. The dealer said both my valves needed adjustment....So soon? Maybe. I have ridden it hard on several occasions.

11. LadyBishop

LadyBishop Active Member

Gallery:
    Bike is in for it's 15000 mile service as we speak. I'll let you know the damage tomorrow.......

• Like Like x 1
  12. Joooooooosh

Joooooooosh Active Member

Gallery:
    Thanks for that, I really do hope this is the case. Seems like there is some conflicting info around but you'd hope the manual is the one to go with...
    Booking mine in for its 2 year service tomorrow. Could be cheaper than expected!

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted