Welcome to the Scrambler Forums! The #1 forum for Ducati Scrambler Owners and Enthusiast around the world!

REGISTER today to share photos, stories, advice, get help and access member only features and forums.

My First Ride out on my new yellow Icon

Discussion in 'Scrambler Talk' started by Brian the Sn@il, Mar 31, 2017.

1. Brian the Sn@il

Brian the Sn@il Member

Gallery:
    Yes, it arrived today as promised, midday delivery from Seastar Superbikes.

Spent some time learning the buttons etc, then fitted my rear Rack, and side stand base mod. Looked at the LED left and right repeaters, to find the Crees I had purchased did not fit, but that's another story.....

So weather is lovely here in the UK at the moment, 18 degrees this afternoon.

The kids got back from school, one from high and one from primary, they both had a sit on the bike, and son had a rev of the engine (keeping it under 4k ;) ) Daughter - from High School said wow dad that's nice and took some pictures of me on the bike (to use on Instragram snap crap and all that rubbish they use when teenagers)
    So after work, I put on my gear and went for the start of the Run in.

Now its been 20 years since I have been on a motorbike, so was a bit cautious.
    I needn't be as these Scramblers are perfect.
    Went for a 30 min ride out, lots of small B roads, tight twisting bends, I really enjoyed myself.
    Settling into the bike and its massive amounts of Torque ! (I'm used to 2-strokes)
    The Riding position is perfect for me to enjoy the ride out.
    My only gripe is the throttle twitching , it needs really delicate amount at low speed on the corners, tricky but do-able/ I'm sure I will get used to it and will be powering out of corners once its run in.

So first impressions, I'm really happy I went for the Scrambler :) Really impressed

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Doctor T

Doctor T New Member

Gallery:
    Awesome, enjoy!

3. Damnation

Damnation Member

Gallery:
    Grats on the new bike! For the snatchy throttle i recommend the G2 Throttle tamer and keeping in in low gear through the roundabouts.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Brian the Sn@il

Brian the Sn@il Member

Gallery:
    yep I'm looking to the G2 ;)

5. BR1

BR1 Member

Gallery:
    If you fancy a bit of DIY throttle modding I have a set of original icon grips that were removed by the dealer when they fitted my heated grips. PM me if interested I don't know what they are worth???

6. Deano968

Deano968 Active Member

Gallery:
    ... And don't forget the new Desert Sled has a more progressive throttle action so you can probably get one of those installed. You may even just get used to it like many have.
    I wasn't away quite as long as you (about 8 years for me) but I too found the Scrambler an easy step back into enjoying two wheels. Keep having fun!

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Brian the Sn@il

Brian the Sn@il Member

Gallery:
    Out and about today, now at 80 miles ! The roads around here are really poor, lots of holes and bumps, which is bouncing my head about, I cant decide if its the hard seat causing this or the front shocks ?

8. Airsafari87

Airsafari87 Active Member

Gallery:
    The shocks are a bit harsh on these bikes, and I know a lot of people complain about the seats on them too, personally I have never had an issue with mine and have covered almost 7k miles in the past 10 months I've had the bike.

One thing about the throttle, try and persevere with the 'snatchyness' of it if you can. When I first got my bike I hated it's response, but I just rode it and rode it and adapted my style to suit it and I grew to love it's instantaneous response.
    When I fitted my aftermarket exhaust I also fitted a booster plug at the same time to ease any problems associated with it running lean. I have to say that the booster plug has ruined the throttle response, it softens it right off and takes away a whole load of character away from the bike in my opinion.

9. kjs

kjs Member

Gallery:

Suspension as a whole is pretty trash on the bike. I've learned to keep my arms and knees loose. Will elevate my rear a bit if I see a large bump coming.

The rear shock is adjustable and helps a bit.

The seat is probably not doing you any favors. I swapped out my Icon's seat for the Comfort seat from Ducati. It's better, but doesn't solve any problems.

As for the throttle, you'll likely get used to it. If you can keep it above 4k RPM, it will play nice. A lot of people have opted for a new throttle tube though.

10. EvilSteve

EvilSteve New Member

Gallery:
    Yeah I have a 2017 icon with OEM heated grips and it is not remotely snatchy. I haven't looked yet but I'm pretty sure they have the progressive throttle tube. There may also be a mapping update on the 2017 models, if so your dealer could probably apply it for you.

When I picked it up it was lurching / stuttering a lot at low revs, though (<3500, starting from cold) It improved... but was that heat or time, or because I revved higher and softened clutch to compensate? Maybe all three?

Is this a new bike thing or a cold bike thing or a Ducati thing? None of the above? All of the above?

I'll find out more when I take it on it's second outing tomorrow, I guess!

11. EvilSteve

EvilSteve New Member

Gallery:
    My power delivery issues seem to be smoothing out... I think the problems were mostly in my hands!

12. nictim

nictim Member

Gallery:
    I to fitted the Throttle tamer and replaced the front sprocket 2x teeth larger, you will see a lot of detail on the forum. Iv done 36000klms on my icon and only 3 sets of tyres. The seat I had remoulded so your sitting more into it. IMG_0987.JPG IMG_0986.JPG

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted