Welcome to the Scrambler Forums! The #1 forum for Ducati Scrambler Owners and Enthusiast around the world!

REGISTER today to share photos, stories, advice, get help and access member only features and forums.

Scambler vs Monster 797

Discussion in 'Scrambler Talk' started by ash73, May 26, 2017.

1. ash73

ash73 Member

Gallery:
    What do people think of the new Ducati Monster 797? Same air cooled engine as the Scrambler, but with a trellis frame, twin disc front brakes, larger fuel tank, no hipster image and subjectively looks better to me. And it's cheaper, too.

Ducati Monster 797 - Ducati

2. Armo

Armo Active Member

Gallery:
    What frame has a Scrambler got???

3. EvilSteve

EvilSteve Member

Gallery:
    Looks aside, they are almost the same bike as far as I can tell. Personally I prefer the scrambler look and bought accordingly.

The Icon is actually slightly cheaper, and scramblers also have trellis frames.

One thing that might make a difference for me is that anchoring to the bike would be easier with that sculpted tank.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Max Kool

Max Kool Active Member

Top Poster Of Month

Gallery:
    I like both, the Monster just looks a bit more of a "Naked Sport" (it is)

5. gcduc

gcduc Active Member

Gallery:
    I love them. If it was available, or even announced, when I was buying my Icon I would have bought it instead without a doubt.

It is not much more expensive, looks the dog's and solves the biggest (only really) issues I have with my Icon - fuel tank too little range and front 18" wheel lacks decent sport rubber options.

Having said that, presently these drawbacks are not about to make me change over anytime soon.

6. mechano84

mechano84 New Member

Gallery:
    Better or worse is subjective, but I'd say that's an objectively damn good looking bike. Hipster image? Who care's about that shit anyway? I'll ride a pink fucking tricycle before I start caring about someone calling me a hipster. I'd like to get a better look at those front brakes to see how easily they'll swap over. Shouldn't be too long before wrecked part-outs start popping up on ebay.

• Agree Agree x 5
    Last edited: May 27, 2017
  7. ash73

ash73 Member

Gallery:
    Same here (I have a FT). Better looking, better range, better brakes, better image, probably more comfy too. Interested to see how the riding position compares. Probably not different enough to justify swapping but it makes the Scrambler range look overpriced, imo.

I didn't realise the Scrambler is a trellis frame, I just thought of it as a space frame as it wasn't particularly visible. They make more of a feature of it on the 797 anyhow, I like it.

8. Armo

Armo Active Member

Gallery:
    Ive had alot of monsters over the years from 695 all the way through to the 1000 s2r, the only modern style model was the 696 which was a great little bike but it did come across as a bit of a girls bike where the others didn't, though it did 131mph returned a ridiculous mpg and looked in my view the dogs. It's probably the bike that made me realise that ducati really do know how to make a bike that makes every ride special, the sound, handling and raw back to basics that i love but having said all that I still prefer my Scrambler.

9. Deano968

Deano968 Active Member

Gallery:
    They don't make 'em like they used too. I like the Monster in it's young unfussy form...

Screen Shot 2017-05-29 at 8.54.01 AM.png

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. Plantboy

Plantboy Active Member

Gallery:
    The 797 makes no sense to me. However, if I wanted an 803cc Monster I would be looking in the classifieds to find a used late model 796 - where the twin TBs and larger airbox release an extra 12 hp from the same engine.

Last edited: May 29, 2017
  11. ELVISTO

ELVISTO Moderator Staff Member

Gallery:
    Two things attracted me to the Scrambler when it first came on the scene, First , It looks amazing, just what I was after, and secondly the engine, I'd had it in my 796 Monster, much nicer to ride than the 696 or the 1100 imho,
    The whole package is perfect whether its for tall people or shorter riders, long may it continue, I may just buy another one, someday , who knows , ;)
    The monster or the Scrambler ?, both amazing bikes and both best sellers for Ducati

• Like Like x 1
  12. pfmtrumpy

pfmtrumpy Member

Gallery:
    Loved the Monster concept when the first 900 landed. Thought the styling was a bit iffy so never took the plunge. They only got uglier. This one looks like...well words fail me but whatever it is, it's been beaten severely with an ugly stick.
    Scrambler is a hipster is it? Maybe, but exhaust, tail, bar and mirror changes later, I don't think so. Be much harder to make that Monster look like a motorcycle.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted