Welcome to the Scrambler Forums! The #1 forum for Ducati Scrambler Owners and Enthusiast around the world!

REGISTER today to share photos, stories, advice, get help and access member only features and forums.

Starting problem

Discussion in 'Scrambler Common Problems/Issues' started by HarveyL, Jul 6, 2015.

1. HarveyL

HarveyL New Member

Gallery:
    I have experienced a problem with starting on two occasions in three weeks. The first a couple weeks ago. Following a 200+ mile trip with several stops the bike sat for a few hours and then refused to start. The starter turned over and the engine said puff / puff. I turned it over maybe a dozen attempts in first gear, in neutral, clutch in, clutch out, kickstand up, down. Checked voltage, no problem. The bike sat over night and refused to start in the morning. I made arrangements for transport in the morning. While packing up, I gave it a last try and it coughed and started. Drove home, 200+ miles with stops for food and gas, no issues. Reported the problem at my 600 mile service. The bike had recorded no problem code and was running fine. This week on starting, in the garage while cold, it made a POP and refused to start. Sounded the same it turned over and puff / puff. After a half dozen attempts, this time it started. Has anyone else experienced a similar issue?

2. greer

greer Well-Known Member

Gallery:
    Hello Harvey, welcome to the forum. I don't have a Scrambler yet, but trying to learn all I can. Did you give any throttle during any of your attempts to start? I owned an EFI bike some years back and they were known to do this same thing on occasion, the given advice was to hold the throttle wide open while cranking, sure enough that worked every time. I am not suggesting you do this, just sharing past experience. We'll look forward to some Scrambler owners chiming in.

Sarah

3. Hui

Hui Well-Known Member

Gallery:
    Opening the throttle like that allows a large volume of air into the engine and can help to purge an engine of 'flooded' fuel. Unless of course it's fly by wire, nothing opens as throttle bodies are not actioned by the twist grip.
    This method works best on carburatored engines and strongly not advised with catalytic convertors. 1) because the raw fuel can damage the precious metals in the cat and 2) the cat is/can be the hottest part of an exhaust, up-to 600 C and could damage the exhaust if the backfire is big enough.
    Just some pub trivia for you. Plus I'm bored.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. tonyjuliano

tonyjuliano Active Member

Gallery:
    You may be bored, but you are certainly correct in every way.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. SuperKörny71

SuperKörny71 Member

Gallery:
    Any explosion is good.
    Warning. May lead to new full race exhaust.

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Kiwipete

Kiwipete Member

Gallery:
    I had a similar problem when i first got my Classic. But that was because i would turn the throttle as on carby bikes. now i just push the button and let the electronics manage the fuel and start. .

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Piero

Piero Member

Gallery:
    Do you shut down by turning the key off or by using the emergency switch ? A guy on another forum had same issue and it showed that using the emergency switch to shut down is not the proper method. It closes electrical circuits in a way that the ECU has difficulties to start over again.

8. ELVISTO

ELVISTO Moderator Staff Member

Gallery:
    Think I've only used the emergency cut out a couple of times, I just use the key,

9. John

John Active Member

Gallery:
    I always use the switch next to the throttle to switch the bike off, never the key, is this wrong? If it is why is it?

10. DaveInWoodland

DaveInWoodland Active Member

Gallery:
    Some people have reported that the ugly evaporative canister has caused some start up issues, so far I have been lucky as a California owner I cannot remove mine but that doesn't apply to everyone else. Also was told that over filling the gas tank can cause this as well.

11. HarveyL

HarveyL New Member

Gallery:
    I have used the kickstand switch to stop the engine. I can't remember if I did when this problem has occurred. I have not had a reoccurrence in the last few weeks. I will make a point to use the switch on the handle bar and see if it happens again. Thanks for the tip.

12. lediamantbleu

lediamantbleu New Member

Gallery:
    Hi,

What was the outcome of this? My Urban Enduro is having issues of the start/neutral persuasion.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted