Welcome to the Scrambler Forums! The #1 forum for Ducati Scrambler Owners and Enthusiast around the world!

REGISTER today to share photos, stories, advice, get help and access member only features and forums.

Tell me to buy or not to buy ... please

Discussion in 'Scrambler Talk' started by JP75DUC, Feb 17, 2017.

1. JP75DUC

JP75DUC New Member

Gallery:
    Hello all!

I desperately need your help making my mind - to scrambler or not to scrambler.

Introduction
    I had several bikes in the past, GSXR600, Ducati Monster 696, Ducati 848, Ducati Multistrada 1200S, Ducati Sport 1000s and BMW S1000R. Love them all, but i feel the need for a change and specially the pace i´m riding ... needs to be slower. I´m at a point of getting a Scrambler or stop riding for good.

I have no problem with the lack of technology and power of the Scrambler. I´m willing to change from 160BHP bike to another that have less than half of that. I have one major concern: comfort.
    I did a "quick" test drive on a Scrambler last year. The handlebars were too high for may taste, i don´t like vertical position when riding since i have a tailbone problem, i like a more sportier position. Also the seat was very uncomfortable for my taste. So basically i had a bad experience.

My question to the good people on this forum:
    1 - Changing the handlebar to a lower one makes a big difference regarding riding position?
    2 - Aftermarket seats there are plenty. Based on your personnal experiences can i assume that sargent or similar will improve dramatically the comfort of the bike?

I love the looks of the Scrambler and the possibilites it gives to costumize it

A big thank you to anyone who bothers reading this and take a bit of time to answer honestly.

Regards,
    JP

2. Eshenbaugh

Eshenbaugh Member

Gallery:
    When I first test rode a scrambler Icon. I was so disappointed in the ergonomics that I almost looked the other way.

I then got the chance to ride a scrambler with lower bars (Rizoma drag bars) and could not believe how different it was.

I purchased an Icon and the ride home from the dealer ship was AWFUL. being 6'2" with long arms, the handle bars felt like they were in my chest. The seat kept forcing my crotch into the tank. I couldn't wait to get off.

I installed Pro taper low bars, this cured the cramped cockpit for me.

Next I reworked the seat with a Seat Concepts kit, This made the biggest difference, as now I can sit further back off the tank and not be pushed forward.

The next thing I did was install adjustable foot pegs that were 1" lower this helped get my knees off the tank.

The last ergonomic adjustment was raising the suspension.

I can honestly say now this is the most fun I have ever had on a motorcycle. The comfort level is amazing

Soo...if you are willing to modify the bike its great

3. LadyBishop

LadyBishop Active Member

Gallery:
    Lower bars are a good idea. Ft bars on my Icon improved look/ride/comfort/buffeting. I would go for that before you pay out for a new seat. Stock seat is pretty poor but I dont really think about it.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Auriga

Auriga Active Member

Gallery:
    I have just put trials Renthals on my Classic, but not ridden it yer. The riding position seems much improved but whether this results in greater comfort for my style of riding ( single track Tarmac and the occasional green road ) remains to be seen.

The Mustang seat is more comfortable than standard, and also lowers the seat height. I expect the Corbin or Sargent seats to give similar good results

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. JP75DUC

JP75DUC New Member

Gallery:
    Thank you very much all for your feedback.

Can you please share somepics of your bike after the updates? Thanks in advance.

6. ScramblinGraham

ScramblinGraham Active Member

Gallery:
    I hated the high bars on the stock Urban Enduro coming from Japanese sport bikes so i switched to Renthal Road Ultra Lows and it was a night and day difference. Ive since changed the bars to Rizoma Low bars but only because i got their gauge relocate bracket and needed thicker 1 1/8 bars instead of the 7/8 stock/renthal bars. They don't have quite the sweep back the Ultra Lows had but they are similar enough that its still a comfortable ride. Seat is a pain and the next thing to go but its not a deal breaker for now. IMG_1882.JPG IMG_1879.JPG

7. Albie

Albie Moderator Staff Member

Gallery:
    Icon bars removed although ok for full throttle. Better also in look or buy a full throttle great bike and cooler

Attached Files:

8. Eshenbaugh

Eshenbaugh Member

Gallery:
    20170217_171934.jpg 20170217_172022.jpg

9. rider

rider Active Member

Gallery:
    Go ahead and get one, you'l always wonder if you don't.

Mods are cheap and easy and the result can be a comfortable fit.

DSCN3839.JPG

10. Armo

Armo Active Member

Gallery:
    IMG_4277.JPG Buy one! I actually bought another after I sold my first one as I realised it's the best bike for me and probably the bike I'll keep the longest. Mine has the maxton suspension conversion and now the stock seat is verging on comfy!

11. JP75DUC

JP75DUC New Member

Gallery:
    Thank you all very much for the positive feedback and for the shared pics :)

Now i´ll just ask if it´s possible to share the links to those:

- Rizoma bars
    - Rizoma Gauge relocator
    - Maxton suspension (further improvement after i buy and ride the bike a lot)

Thanks all, you have made my mind.

12. ScramblinGraham

ScramblinGraham Active Member

Gallery:
    Are you in the US, Europe or other? motovationusa.com or motowheels.com for Rizoma if you are in the states. Email motowheels first and ask if they have the parts in stock or how long it will take to receive them. My orders from motovationusa arrive in days, motowheels was weeks. Price is the same but motowheels is a site sponsor if you care about that.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted