Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

First post so go easy! I'm considering picking up an 1100 sport pro but I'm stuck in Western Australia and I can only find one bike. Unfortunately this precludes test riding and I can't even sit on it before it comes off the boat. Essentially buying unseen...

The bars seem quite a bit lower on this model - does anyone have any experience? I'm 5 feet 7 inches and will be coming from my '86 SRX 600 - that also has low bars. Getting too old to kick that bike over. My only other query is the engine temps as it gets quite hot here. Anyone had issues when the ambient temp is 35'c+?

Toying with a Kawasaki W800 / Z900RS or a new 'old' Triumphs.

I used to have a street triple before it nearly killed me :)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hi thre in "Downunder",

Yes - indeed the original bars of the 1100 Sport are very "sportive" - for me too low. When I bought mine I asked my dealer to install that of the regular 1100 but get it powder laquered in black before. Now a very relaxed riding with this nice Sport-tool. It is a shame that you cannot ride all three bikes alternatively - then you could find "yours". But I tell you: the Ducati Scrambler 1100 Sport is a "masterpiece" if you like to go on curvy roads or slight off-road... and the air cooled engine sound is fantastic. For me you could buy it unseen.....

If you don't have to wait at red traffic lights and use a heat-protecting band on the exhaust tube under the seat you can also manage 35°C plus.....

Good luck & Happy Ridin' !

·
Registered
889 Posts
Can't speak for the 1100 but in summer temps in Vic if you are riding slow or stopped at lights the 800 is a hot little thing. At speed on the open road no problems.
Most bikes run so lean these days that they do give off a lot of heat even watercooled ones.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys.

crude, but photoshop is my friend. Seems the bars are further back and up :)

Will have to try and find an 1100 somewhere in Perth to at least sit on it and then bite the bullet.

Wish me luck!

·
Registered
36 Posts
I just bought an 1100 Special. At just under 5'9" with a reasonable case of "duck's disease" (short legs) and an age of nearly 62 it's a bit of a stretch to "get me leg over" but very rewarding once on board. The actual "riding height" on the front of the seat is no problem, but getting a leg over the higher rear part of the seat challenges me more. Once riding all is forgotten in a pleasant distraction of noise, speed and motion. I've only clocked 600 kms so far and yesterday was the first warm (30 degrees showing on the dash) day but no real dramas. To be honest I find my Diavel is more of a heat source with the way it throws it out from the sides of the engine on a hot day. I had a 5 minute whizz round the block on both a 800 and 1100 Scrambler and I'm glad I bought the bigger bike. It feels "solid" and "proper" and has room for me and the wife with enough power to cruise comfortably. It feels lighter than it is and handles great.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Thanks guys.

crude, but photoshop is my friend. Seems the bars are further back and up :)

Will have to try and find an 1100 somewhere in Perth to at least sit on it and then bite the bullet.

Wish me luck!

View attachment 45657
Tyre is a web site that gives you the sitting dimensions (reach to bars, reach to pegs, etc) of all sorts of bikes. I can’t remember the URL but it should be easy and ugh to find using a search engine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys for the great info. I'm going to find a stock 1100 this week, test a thruxton rs and then jump before my wife changes her mind 😜

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hi,

this is how my 1100 Sport looks now with the higher bars and a modified seat (more comfortable, custom made). You can reduce the height by 3cm if you modify the seat cushion.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Oh... by the way: I am 1,70m tall and the bike fits for me without any problem. I had a BMW R1200GS LC factory low - and with that I had problems to have a secure stand. This is my customized seat here: Much more comfortable than the serial one and a bit lower. No problem to ride 400 - 500 km / day anymore.....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts