Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone considered a suspension upgrade on the 1100 excluding the sport obviously.
I was wondering if it would be worth it for the cost balanced against the advantages or disadvantages. I think it is worth a discussion.
I’ll start with I had a Tiger 800 didn’t like the suspension as standard. So I fitted Andriani front cartridges and a Nitron rear shock. The set up was a success over the stock suspension and worth the money.

·
Registered
797 Posts
I think the stock suspension is pretty good and the adjustability realy does change things(I had bikes in the past where adjustments where hardly felt).
I would wait with a shock upgrade till it's a couple of years old because then the changes probably be a lot more noticeable and the advantages of a fresh pair of shocks a lot bigger.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Personally find the stock set up (base model) fine - and I previously adjusted front and rear on my 800... I feel the 1100 is as good as my 800 was with Ohlins rear and Andreani cartridges..

I did initially (before taking delivery) look at the Sport suspension as an option - but after riding did not feel it necessary.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have always enjoyed the 800s I've ridden, appreciating the suspension travel being longer than modern sports bikes. It becomes increasingly important to me that a bike is comfortable to ride and the current state of our roads requires longer suspension to achieve that. So...

What are the Ohlins on the 1100 Sport like? Are they as 'plush' as the forks on the other models, or are they stiffer and sportier? They apparently have the same travel as the rest of the range, but how do they feel?

Would appreciate it if anyone could provide their first hand experience of these forks.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have ridden a Tiger 1050 with full Ohlins. They seemed to be firmer than I expected, but very stable. I don’t really know what I expected but I think it was for the bike to “glide” over the bumps and the like.
Admittedly it wasn’t set up for me, it was a friends bike and he is a little heavier. But it was fitted and set up professionally.
If you know your dealer could you not get a test ride on the demonstrator.
BTW regulars will know that I had my suspension set up professionally. I checked the front settings yesterday. They were 3 1/2 turns out on compression and 1 turn out on rebound.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I thought the sport I test rode was a little firmer than the standard..but its difficult to tell - because they were both as set by the dealer at the time... and not adjusted to suit me... but I felt not a huge amount in it..

·
Registered
140 Posts
The sport's suspension are almost perfect.
The standard feels nice on small bumps and good to medium conditions roads but definetly not over bigger bumps and demaged roads. Ohlins have a superior fluency and response. Not just firmer. Better im every sense

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I’ve now got full Ohlins STX46 on the rear and NIX30 on the front. Don’t know how good it is as I haven’t ridden it yet.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Is gonna changhe your idea of scrambler'.... at least on the road. I tried both and now I know they play a different game

·
Registered
140 Posts
Now I have ohlins in the back
The bike is damn better
Now I know the every scrambler 1100 should have one. Really a better motorcycle.
Highly raccomended

1 - 11 of 11 Posts