Ducati Scrambler Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
I don't like seeing that. It confirms my fear that the ghost of Joseph Lucas is in charge of electronics at Ducati. A good friend has a fairly new multistrada that has been perfect mechanically but AWFUL in its electrical systems.

·
Registered
965 Posts
I don't like seeing that. It confirms my fear that the ghost of Joseph Lucas is in charge of electronics at Ducati. A good friend has a fairly new multistrada that has been perfect mechanically but AWFUL in its electrical systems.
Reminds me of the old saying "Do you know why Brits love warm beer?"
"Because they have Lucas Refrigerators"

·
Registered
142 Posts
Reminds me of the old saying "Do you know why Brits love warm beer?"
"Because they have Lucas Refrigerators"
Other Lucas Jokes include ( they also built the electrics for the old Brit cars Triumph, MG, Land Rover, etc). They had a strong competitor in the unreliability domain Smiths Instruments. Smiths never got the credit they deserved though because their failures never left you stranded.

To top it all off my 6 week old scrambler aborted its POST and refused to start this morning until I took the key out and put it back in due to a "glitch" in the security system ... classic Lucas getting back at me for my comment yesterday :-(
------
The Lucas motto: "Get home before dark."

Lucas denies having invented darkness. But they still claim "sudden, unexpected darkness"

Lucas--inventor of the first intermittent wiper.

Lucas--inventor of the self-dimming headlamp.

The three-position Lucas switch--DIM, FLICKER and OFF.

The other three switch settings--SMOKE, SMOLDER and IGNITE.

Lucas dip-switch positions: LOW and BLOW (Bruce Miller, www.hermit.cc)

The original anti-theft devices--Lucas Electric products.

"I've had a Lucas pacemaker for years and have never experienced any prob...

If Lucas made guns, wars would not start either.

Did you hear about the Lucas powered torpedo? It sank.

It's not true that Lucas, in 1947, tried to get Parliament to repeal Ohm's Law. They withdrew their efforts when they met too much resistance.

Did you hear the one about the guy that peeked into a Land Rover and asked the owner "How can you tell one switch from another at night, since they all look the same?" "He replied, it doesn't matter which one you use, nothing happens!"

Back in the '70s Lucas decided to diversify its product line and began manufacturing vacuum cleaners. It was the only product they offered which didn't suck.

·
Registered
818 Posts
View attachment 7297 :p
My odometer is on drugs, and not the good ones.
Seriously though, I'm not even mad.
I've had the same issue following the replacement of my ignition. Apparently I've now done nearly 50k miles...

Supposedly it's a known bug and just needs the dealer to request a reset code from Bologna. this takes a while though, as there are obviously a few checks involved with codes for resetting mileage counters. Interestingly, the real mileage is still being stored somewhere in the bike (apparently from the ABS sensors) because it knew when to flash up my service warning, right on the correct schedule.

It's raised a few eyebrows when people spot my clocks reading so high. Of course I play it out, saying I just take a lot of trips...
If true, that would have been 13 rear tyres, 7 fronts and roughly £5500 spent on fuel since last June...

·
Registered
142 Posts
I've had the same issue following the replacement of my ignition. Apparently I've now done nearly 50k miles...

Supposedly it's a known bug and just needs the dealer to request a reset code from Bologna. this takes a while though, as there are obviously a few checks involved with codes for resetting mileage counters. Interestingly, the real mileage is still being stored somewhere in the bike (apparently from the ABS sensors) because it knew when to flash up my service warning, right on the correct schedule.

It's raised a few eyebrows when people spot my clocks reading so high. Of course I play it out, saying I just take a lot of trips...
If true, that would have been 13 rear tyres, 7 fronts and roughly £5500 spent on fuel since last June...
When I called my dealer about my key / security problems they said that their tech support folks in Bologna took the month of August off (like the French).

·
Registered
818 Posts
When I called my dealer about my key / security problems they said that their tech support folks in Bologna took the month of August off (like the French).
I'm surprised you hadn't heard of this. I'd have said the Italians were better known for their summer holiday than the French but yeah, same deal. Best get anything you need from the factory before August. Work usually starts towards the end of the month but obviously it takes time to catch up.
On the upside, it's a fantastic time of year to visit rural and coastal Italy, as there tends to be lots of festivals and events on!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts