Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having waited for 5 months for my full throttle, I picked it up two weeks ago. I've been just loving it up until yesterday. Out for a spin, doing about 70mph and felt a slight hesitation from the engine, then engine sound changed from a deep sound of the v-twin to a washy metal sound and oil light on. Clutch in and stopped straight away. No outward signs of anything wrong. Oil level good. After a few minutes I tried starting the bike again. It started find and sounded ok but after a few seconds the sound of the engine changed again. Oil light stayed on. So low oil pressure but with plenty of oil.... knackered oil pump?? :apologetic:

Dealer coming today to collect the bike. Hopefully can be sorted quickly as planning to take the Scrambler on a trip to the Swiss / French Alps in 2 weeks.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
That's unfortunate after all that waiting! Hope you get sorted in time for your trip, let us know what it was?

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
Sounds like oil pump - rumor has it that there is a defective "batch" of these out there.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well the dealer collected the bike this morning and left me a Scrambler Icon in its place so all's good for a trip to Europe in 2 weeks.
Lets hope nothing to seriously wrong with the FT

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Well the dealer collected the bike this morning and left me a Scrambler Icon in its place so all's good for a trip to Europe in 2 weeks.
Lets hope nothing to seriously wrong with the FT
You will need the log book and a letter from the dealer stating you have permission to take the bike that's not registered to your passport address. Especially for the French. Or, use your own number plate.
With some luck they will have your own one repaired, fingers crossed.

·
Registered
Scrambler 1100
839 Posts
Bad luck please make sure you are legal with insurance to take dealers bike to Europe

Let's know progress report re: fix

·
Registered
589 Posts
Which dealer? Sounds like good service to me, my local dealer didn't offer a bike to friend when his brand new 1200 Monster packed up! He bought it for WDW and ended up riding his Triumph there!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dealer is the only ducati dealer in N. Ireland, Millsports in Ballymoney. I wasn't too impressed with their (lack of) communication when I was waiting for the bike to arrive - just one hone call in 5 months to tell me the bike was there. However having now given me their demo they have redeemed themselves.

Will keep you all posted w.r.t what the problem was.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well as suspected problem was oil pump related - the oil pump drive, a small cog wheel that lives towards bottom of the engine. Called in to see the bike and the offending part and it is cracked from the centre right out to the outer edge. Apparently a new engine is on its way from ducati as they want the old engine back to investigate.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
There is a recent thread on the other forum where someone had to have their engine replaced due to an oil pump failure ... this was a bike in Italy :confused:

·
Premium Member
2,624 Posts
These things happen from time to time, But it's how it gets sorted to the customers satisfaction that matters, It's good that Ducati are replacing the engine, and not just the part,

Top marks to Ducati,

1 - 15 of 15 Posts