Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title says it, I am planning on taking my 2015 Ducati Scrambler from Texas to San Diego, California.

I currently have the following installed.

Handler bar Barkbusters
Tall windshield
Mustang seat

The "longest" trip I have taken my Scrambler is a 6 hour round trip and it handled pretty well.

Only downside was the original Ducati bench seat, it was killing my rear...

I decided to upgrade to the Mustang seat and possibly taking a cushion.

My plan is to leave on an early Saturday morning from San Antonio and get to San Diego (Pacific Beach) on Sunday or latest Monday.

I am excited but nervous at the same time.

If anyone here can give me any pointers or tips I will surely appreciated.

Thank you all.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I did Alberta to New Brunswick and back, up in here in Canada and honestly it was painful, but the tall windshield made it bearable. Since you have a tall windshield, the barkbusters and a new seat you should be perfect, as I know my only improvements would be handguards and the seat for my bike. Just go fast and enjoy, cause I can tell you this bike will hold at 140 km/h quite comfortably.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did Alberta to New Brunswick and back, up in here in Canada and honestly it was painful, but the tall windshield made it bearable. Since you have a tall windshield, the barkbusters and a new seat you should be perfect, as I know my only improvements would be handguards and the seat for my bike. Just go fast and enjoy, cause I can tell you this bike will hold at 140 km/h quite comfortably.
That is good to know! Thank you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes! I completely forgot about the rest, it was late at night.

I have Kriega Drybags

US10 and US 20.

I have the Kriega Tank adapter. Still trying to purchase the Kriega US5.

I will be taking my Drone Mini by DJI and mounting a Insta360 One X2 camera.

Helmet wise I am debating on taking my Bell Moto 3 with googles while I currently await for a NEXX x.wed2.

Looking for some gloves at the moment since all I have are summer gloves.

·
Registered
889 Posts
It is a motorcycle just like any other motorcycle. You are going to get a sore backside, you will get wet if it rains, you will get hot if it’s hot and cold if its cold but you will have way more fun than doing the same trip in a car.
We are currently on a trip. SWMBO is riding the Full Throttle with a US20 on the back. She has ridden over 1000km in the last three days in temps from 40C to 15C and brilliant blue skies and pouring rain. I’ve been away three days longer and done about 1500km more than she has. We have two more days and around 500km to get home. Today is overcast and mild and will be a very nice, short days ride. Tomorrow looks like rain all day and we have just under 300km to travel.

Purchase and use ear plugs. Your hearing will thank you in 10 or 15 years.
Set your trip meter 2 to zero every time you fill up and start looking to refill when it is showing around 120 miles and you will never need to have range anxiety.
Take small can of chain lube and apply it every 500 miles or so. No need to be anal about it but do it at convenient places, usually where you stop overnight.

·
Registered
36 Posts
"Purchase and use ear plugs. Your hearing will thank you in 10 or 15 years."

"Wotja say mate?"
(Riding close to 50 years...45 on the road..)

Have ya thought about a sheepskin seat cover?
I don't know how popular they are where you're at but here in Oz easy to score and easy on yer butt...

I've done (longest trip) Adelaide to Cairns return a cpl times (amongst others)..

Enjoyyyyy....you lucky devil.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It is a motorcycle just like any other motorcycle. You are going to get a sore backside, you will get wet if it rains, you will get hot if it’s hot and cold if its cold but you will have way more fun than doing the same trip in a car.
We are currently on a trip. SWMBO is riding the Full Throttle with a US20 on the back. She has ridden over 1000km in the last three days in temps from 40C to 15C and brilliant blue skies and pouring rain. I’ve been away three days longer and done about 1500km more than she has. We have two more days and around 500km to get home. Today is overcast and mild and will be a very nice, short days ride. Tomorrow looks like rain all day and we have just under 300km to travel.

Purchase and use ear plugs. Your hearing will thank you in 10 or 15 years.
Set your trip meter 2 to zero every time you fill up and start looking to refill when it is showing around 120 miles and you will never need to have range anxiety.
Take small can of chain lube and apply it every 500 miles or so. No need to be anal about it but do it at convenient places, usually where you stop overnight.

This are some great tips that I did not think of. I was trying to figure out the MPG situation, although I may purchase one of those Rotopax gas containers since they are less bulky but quite expensive.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
"Purchase and use ear plugs. Your hearing will thank you in 10 or 15 years."

"Wotja say mate?"
(Riding close to 50 years...45 on the road..)

Have ya thought about a sheepskin seat cover?
I don't know how popular they are where you're at but here in Oz easy to score and easy on yer butt...

I've done (longest trip) Adelaide to Cairns return a cpl times (amongst others)..

Enjoyyyyy....you lucky devil.

Thank you! I actually have seen those sheep skin in some bikes. I have been researching on seat gels or just a seat cushion, but do you think that will be a better route?

·
Registered
889 Posts
Thank you! I actually have seen those sheep skin in some bikes. I have been researching on seat gels or just a seat cushion, but do you think that will be a better route?
I have used sheepskins and also Air Hawks in the past. The Air Hawk if properly inflated leaves a sheepskin for dead. The trick with the Air Hawk is less is more. Many people put way to much air into them and then say they are no good because they feel disconnected from the bike. You need just enough air so that the bones in your backside are just touching the actual seat surface. Do that and the Air Hawk will be your friend for many year to come.

·
Registered
889 Posts
This are some great tips that I did not think of. I was trying to figure out the MPG situation, although I may purchase one of those Rotopax gas containers since they are less bulky but quite expensive.
You are traveling across parts of America not through outback Mongolia or remote Africa. You will have no issues with fuel supply provided you actually stop and refuel where required, I refill up to three times a day on occasion.
You do not need a Rotopax for this trip.

·
Registered
73 Posts
As the title says it, I am planning on taking my 2015 Ducati Scrambler from Texas to San Diego, California.

I currently have the following installed.

Handler bar Barkbusters
Tall windshield
Mustang seat

The "longest" trip I have taken my Scrambler is a 6 hour round trip and it handled pretty well.

Only downside was the original Ducati bench seat, it was killing my rear...

I decided to upgrade to the Mustang seat and possibly taking a cushion.

My plan is to leave on an early Saturday morning from San Antonio and get to San Diego (Pacific Beach) on Sunday or latest Monday.

I am excited but nervous at the same time.

If anyone here can give me any pointers or tips I will surely appreciated.

Thank you all.
Tire pressure makes a big difference in ride comfort. Softer is better but fuel milage and tire wear my suffer a bit.
I've been running 36PSI and its a bit hard. For a road trip, I'd probably try 30PSI.
Over to you.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Definitely reset the odometer at every fill up. Texas is huge and getting across those gaps between gas stations can be a challenge. I wouldn't go any further than 80 miles before filling up. Unless you map it out and know when you will hit a town that for sure has a working gas station in it.

For comfort on longer rides I use a neck gator. Keeps the bug hit sting down too :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Fresh tires. In the heat, US10 is murder on tires if you're running fast. An Airhawk, tall windshield, Rotopax and either a Crampbuster, throttle lock or Throttlemeister/Kaoko bar ends would all be at the top of my list for a trip like yours. If you're not going to bring tire spoons and a patch kit I'd call your cell phone service provider and make sure you have good coverage through New Mexico and AZ in case you need roadside help. I would also skip the open face/goggles route and wear a quiet, full face helmet(with earplugs).

If your longest ever trip was 6 hours, it's not likely that you're going to rip off back to back 700 mile days. A single 6-700 mile day is pretty hard core for most people. Back to back 6-700 mile days for someone who has never ridden more than a couple hundred miles in a day is....formidable. I've done tons of 500+ mile days on other motorcycles but I'd plan on taking AT LEAST three full days to do your trip on a Scrambler. You're going to be riding into the wind on 10 and 8 the entire way. You'll have to stop every 90 minutes for fuel because you'll be lucky to get 40 mpg so at 75-80mph you'll stop 8-10 times a day if you shoot for 12 hours in the saddle. Absolutely, positively bring a Rotopax or MSR fuel bottle. Between Ozona and Fort Stockton there is only one gas station in 100 miles. People sometimes don't understand how big the West is or how far it is between towns.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts