Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 21 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just brought this crazy thing. Saw it on ebay. Saw that it was only 2 hours away and thought to myself, hmm I have a 998 Superbike that I'm not using, what if I offered a trade? Contacted the guy and ended up giving him the 998 plus a little cash. Made the trade yesterday.

20180704_093039.jpg
naked-speed-ducati-scrambler-1.jpg

It was featured here in 2015: Naked Speed Special: Bryan Fuller's Scrambler | Bike EXIF
It also has a sister bike that is polished and painted shown here: Look Again: Bryan Fuller's built another Ducati 250 Scrambler

So, I have some ideas. This bike was built before the new Scrambler was launched, so doesn't give any cues to the modern. I notice that the "finished" sister bike is done in a 80's style, but to me since this is a 60's engine and frame it should take some cues from that. So I think I'll finish it off in that style logo and paint scheme. Any ideas/thoughts welcome though.

I'll post some pictures with this next to my Urban Enduro on Saturday to show proportions.

naked-speed-ducati-scrambler-1.jpg

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It has a very strong motor (for a 250) and it's very light.
Kind of weird to ride because the gearshifter is on the right hand side and is a one-up and four-down. Kept hitting the rear brake when I wanted to shift down a gear!

·
Registered
734 Posts
Congratulations!, extremely nice old Ducati Scrambler:icon_thumbright:, now is time to buy a modern Scrambler:rolleyes::D

·
Registered
889 Posts
Looks to me like the only original parts are the engine and maybe tank. I hope you enjoy it but I think I would have kept the 998.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Congratulations!, extremely nice old Ducati Scrambler:icon_thumbright:, now is time to buy a modern Scrambler:rolleyes::D
I have a 2016 Urban Enduro. I'll post pictures of them together.

Looks to me like the only original parts are the engine and maybe tank. I hope you enjoy it but I think I would have kept the 998.
That's a fair comment! The tank is actually from a vintage Pelton (motorcross bike). Both the engine and frame are original, but pretty much everything is custom.
I already have a modern Scrambler, Multistrada, Diavel, Sport Classic (Paul Smart LE) and an MH900e. The latter two are really collector bikes valued in the $20k range, but I feel like I have enough riding options and the 998 was really nothing special to me. I was looking for a collector bike/project and this fits the bill perfectly.

My MH900e (red one in the pic) used to belong to Nick Cage, so it's kind of interesting. And this 250 Scrambler was used as a prop in Fast and Furious 8, so I thought that was mildly interesting too.

Anyway, the guy I swapped with thought I was crazy too!

20170923_125220 (2).jpg

·
Registered
240 Posts
Awesome love the Paul Weller poster! Loosk like a garage of smiles. WOuld love to pick up a small vintage dirt bike one day. Can we hear what your new bike sounds like?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Awesome love the Paul Weller poster! Loosk like a garage of smiles. WOuld love to pick up a small vintage dirt bike one day. Can we hear what your new bike sounds like?
I'm a big Weller fan and I stole that poster after a concert in Germany around 2004 I think. I have quite a few other original posters. It's not a flashy garage, but I love music and bikes, so it suits me well.

I was working on a 1973 Honda Scrambler for a couple of years that I picked up on Craigslist, but my fab skills are nothing like this bike. I'm happy that most of the hard work is done already here.

I'll take some pictures and video tomorrow. The exhaust is not what you'd call "baffled"!

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
If you ever want to trade the MHe 900 for a Suzuki DR650SE (with or without paying up), hit me up!

:adoration:

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Gutsy move to trade a 998 for this little beauty (and pay up).
It was 50% emotional, 50% rationale. Here's my calc....

998 Value. It wasn't a special or rare model like a 998S, 998SPS or 998R, just a regular version with no real service history. I had $6k in it and I gave $1.5k cash, so $7.5k. It might sell for as high as $8k.

Stock 1965 250 Scrambler Value. These were only sold in the US for a few years and less than 1,000 imported. Prob less than 500 total existing globally. Values are in the $10-$20K range. The engine alone would be in the $5-7K range.

This custom value. Built by a renowned builder with some mild providence. Has a sister bike that was polished and painted and sold for $19k. Unfinished I think this might sell for $10-12k.

Attachments

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
He it is next to my UE. Makes it look a bit chubby.

I took it for a ride around my yard. The suspension travel is wayyyy better than my UE and the tires are better for grass, that shifter on the wrong side is not intuitive
20180706_194847.jpg

·
Registered
889 Posts
The tank is actually from a vintage Pelton (motorcross bike). Both the engine and frame are original, but pretty much everything is custom.
I already have a modern Scrambler, Multistrada, Diavel, Sport Classic (Paul Smart LE) and an MH900e. The latter two are really collector bikes valued in the $20k range, but I feel like I have enough riding options and the 998 was really nothing special to me. I was looking for a collector bike/project and this fits the bill perfectly.

My MH900e (red one in the pic) used to belong to Nick Cage, so it's kind of interesting. And this 250 Scrambler was used as a prop in Fast and Furious 8, so I thought that was mildly interesting too.
Nice collectionI can understand the thoughts behind the buy but I would still have kept the 998. :D
Do you mean Penton for the tank rather than Pelton?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes, I meant Penton - my bad.

Totally understand about the 998, it really is a great bike. However, from a collectors perspective, I'm looking for a more special 998, like an SPS, or a FE. I have enough options with the SportClassic, Multi or Diavel for speed.

1 - 21 of 40 Posts