Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so it's spring and I pull the cover off my scrambler. I unplug the trickle charger, pump the tires, roll her out, turn the key, all checks out, no warning lights. I push the starter and it clicks once and nothing!! WTF? I bump started it no problem, ride around for a minute and shut it off. Push the starter again and all I get is one click every couple of seconds. Not sure what's happening. Battery is reading 14 volts.

Any ideas? There is no dealer in my area so I'm kinda on my own here. Anybody have a check list I could go through? Any help is appreciated.

Roch

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
Yes (a clicking starter typically means either the battery is bust, or your connection have too much resistance)

·
Registered
894 Posts
Ok, so it's spring and I pull the cover off my scrambler. I unplug the trickle charger, pump the tires, roll her out, turn the key, all checks out, no warning lights. I push the starter and it clicks once and nothing!! WTF? I bump started it no problem, ride around for a minute and shut it off. Push the starter again and all I get is one click every couple of seconds. Not sure what's happening. Battery is reading 14 volts.

Any ideas? There is no dealer in my area so I'm kinda on my own here. Anybody have a check list I could go through? Any help is appreciated.

Roch
A battery will read 14v when just disconnected from a charger. But leave it 1-2 hours to stand and a good battery will settle to approx. 12.7v this is a fully charged battery. It will show approx. 14.4v with the engine running and the bike charging ok.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
UPDATE.....bought a new battery and it fired right up! I guess the stock battery is only good for 3 yrs.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Ride on!

Roch
If your battery was showing 12+ volts then it was probably just a connection at the terminals, by removing and refitting them you have inadvertently fixed the connection.
I'd be curious to know if the bike would start with the old battery back in.

·
Registered
893 Posts
If your battery was showing 12+ volts then it was probably just a connection at the terminals, by removing and refitting them you have inadvertently fixed the connection.
I'd be curious to know if the bike would start with the old battery back in.
Possible but mostly likely the OEM battery is dead. The batteries are a 5 year design life item which typically means the service life is in the 3-4 year range. How long the battery lasts will depend on all sorts of circumstances including how regularly the bike is ridden and for how long and the ambient temps during riding (battery life degrades by 50% for every 5 degrees above 25C) to name two.
The static voltage of the battery is no real indicator of its condition. A battery can indicate 12 or 13v when measured across the terminals but can then collapse as soon as load is applied to it and not be able to start the vehicle. The batteries on Scramblers and fairly small in relation to what they are required to do when cold cranking so any weakness in the battery will not play out well when the bike needs to be started after sitting for a day or so.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Possible but mostly likely the OEM battery is dead. The batteries are a 5 year design life item which typically means the service life is in the 3-4 year range. How long the battery lasts will depend on all sorts of circumstances including how regularly the bike is ridden and for how long and the ambient temps during riding (battery life degrades by 50% for every 5 degrees above 25C) to name two.
The static voltage of the battery is no real indicator of its condition. A battery can indicate 12 or 13v when measured across the terminals but can then collapse as soon as load is applied to it and not be able to start the vehicle. The batteries on Scramblers and fairly small in relation to what they are required to do when cold cranking so any weakness in the battery will not play out well when the bike needs to be started after sitting for a day or so.
You'll need to excuse my lack of understanding as I've only been in the trade around 40 years. I have however in my short time lost count of the amount of people who have purchased a new battery and still came to me to have the actual fault found which quite often turns out to be a bad connection.
Our local parts suppliers won't take opened or used electrical returns which includes batteries therefore it can be an expensive self diagnosis.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I've never thought my Scrambler has started as well as my other bikes, so have kept it connected to an Optimate charger in between use no matter when or how often it's been used. I've never had a problem!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts