Ducati Scrambler Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Scrambler Forum - looking for some help on the rear brakes/ABS system for my 2016 Flat Track Pro.

Background:
I recently installed an SC Project full exhaust system (https://shop.sc-project.com/en-IT/4194_D16A-CL42A-Full-Exhaust-System-2-1.htm) on my bike. Looks & sounds great IMO - but it was a pain in the ass to get the factory vertical cylinder header pipe out and the SC Project header pipe on. For ease of access to the header & exhaust studs I removed pretty much everything under the seat (pictures below). As a result - the ABS module was completely drained and removed.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Rim Automotive exterior
Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motorcycle Crankset

My Problem:
To my surprise, everything went back together without much fuss and I thought I was in the clear. When it came time to re-install the ABS module I followed the service manual exactly...torqued the banjo bolts to spec and used new crush washers, etc.

When it was time to bleed the brakes I was able to get all of the air out and fully bleed the front brake without issue. Unfortunately I have not had any success with bleeding the rear brake.

To date I have tried the traditional pump the brakes and crack the bleed screw method, using a "Mityvac Bleeder" to pull fluid through the system, and even a syringe to try and push fluid through the system from the rear brake bleed screw...all without success.

I have confirmed that the rear master cylinder is operational as I have pressure in the hose when I pump it with my hand and cover the fitting with my fingers. I went a step further and Bled the ABS module itself for the rear as well...still nothing.

I spoke to my local Ducati Dealership and was told that there is a special Ducati tool required to purge the ABS module when it is completely drained and that I will have to take my bike in to them and have it performed. I have not been able to find anything out there in forums or on youtube confirming this so I am wondering if anyone has any tricks to fully bleed the rear brake system when it has been completely drained as I have done. Or is it accurate that a Ducati diagnostic tool or something like that needs to be hooked up to the ECU in order to tell it to purge the system of air??

I just can't figure out why the front would bleed without issue after also being completely drained and having to go through the same module...but here I am. Bike does not throw any CEL codes/errors and front brakes work fine.

Electrical wiring Gas Cable Motor vehicle Auto part
Tire Fuel tank Wheel Automotive fuel system Automotive lighting

Apologies for the long post but I wanted to be as thorough as possible to help with any possible diagnosis. Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

TLDR - Introduced air to the ABS system and cannot bleed rear brakes. Anyone run into and solve similar issue?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I just took a look at the service manual recently shared with me out of interest on this problem. It's not that clear is it about the process? But it does warn about not doing what you had to do. I see no mention of a special tool either, thus thinking you might have to bring it in if nobody knows or replies.

However, I was thinking about reverse bleeding the rear brake. It might be worth a shot, but I really don't know with ABS. Have you ever tried this on any motorcycle? It does work on rear brakes depending on the situation and never hurt anything. I know with non-ABS there are no risks reverse bleeding. Just a thought and hope you get a better response from someone more knowledgeable :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts