Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

As many of you know Ducati changed the place of the Evap Canister on the 2017 model Scramblers and put it on the right side of the oil radiator. They also changed the plastic side piece on the right that now covers the evap canister.

Because of an engine stalling problem during engine brake (try to rev-up before lowering the gear with clutch pulled and a "pop" sound and the engine dies) I had it removed by the service. I'm not sure if it solved my problem (The engine did the same thing after the removal) but it's no longer there.

I bought a 2016 model plastic side piece but because the connection points are also different, I can't put it on. Anybody know the item number for the piece that provides the old connection points? Or any other good ideas? Please help :) This way it looks as if a tooth missing :)

Cheers

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Hello All,

As many of you know Ducati changed the place of the Evap Canister on the 2017 model Scramblers and put it on the right side of the oil radiator. They also changed the plastic side piece on the right that now covers the evap canister.

Because of an engine stalling problem during engine brake (try to rev-up before lowering the gear with clutch pulled and a "pop" sound and the engine dies) I had it removed by the service. I'm not sure if it solved my problem (The engine did the same thing after the removal) but it's no longer there.

I bought a 2016 model plastic side piece but because the connection points are also different, I can't put it on. Anybody know the item number for the piece that provides the old connection points? Or any other good ideas? Please help :) This way it looks as if a tooth missing :)

Cheers
What about putting the canister back on but don't connect it up ?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maybe I'll ask a friend to 3D print an exact same sized empty box and use the rubber piece around the canister to put the secret stash box back in the place. However that's a long shot :) Requires 3D scanning, 3D modelling, 3D printing, and time consuming as well. If I could just learn the item number of the necessary part to attach the old side panel...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hello All,

Cheers
Glad to see they're still having this problem on 2017s after 3 years. Ducati NA tells me "This is the first we're hearing of this problem." Here's their number. 888-391-5446. Call and describe to them exactly what problem you're having.

·
Registered
42 Posts
What's the problem then?
Because of an engine stalling problem during engine brake (try to rev-up before lowering the gear with clutch pulled and a "pop" sound and the engine dies) I had it removed by the service. I'm not sure if it solved my problem (The engine did the same thing after the removal)
This problem has been documented on many pages of threads across multiple forums and ducati is keeping their head in the sand about it when they could likely solve the problem with a firmware update.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I dont think a charcoal canister is causing running problems (or changes how a bike runs), I mean its about fumes or fuel leaking out. Right?
Its usually a space gaining thing.
I pulled my canister out and yes I though of putting a tool kit in there. Which I'm glad you brought up the 3D printer thing as my 4x4 shop owner friend has one. Off to see him for a cure! Although I just got a badass small toolkit that will go in my tank bag.

The open area still looks better than a smog related pos in there.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Bad running can be caused by the evap container getting flooded with fuel, therefor not allowing the tank to breath which in turn restricts the flow of fuel out.
If it's really chocked then the tank itself can be crushed by the vacuum.
Don't overfill when fueling up to help prevent this. A give away sign is difficulty and also air rushing in when opening the cap.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Bad running can be caused by the evap container getting flooded with fuel, therefor not allowing the tank to breath which in turn restricts the flow of fuel out.
If it's really chocked then the tank itself can be crushed by the vacuum.
Don't overfill when fueling up to help prevent this. A give away sign is difficulty and also air rushing in when opening the cap.
Wow, that sounds like a worst case scenario. I could see a full tank on a hot sunny day having the fuel expand into the canister somewhat. As mine will piss slightly (very little) on the ground with the canister removed. ...Fuel expands.
But anything beyond that would be a terrible design. And I can't see a steel tank collapsing, but stranger things have happened.
Got a pic of that happening?
Still rather have the canister gone.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
If you have fuel venting out then you are filling it too far before parking it up. You maybe can't see it but many have. Believe me, there's been much stronger things than a Ducati fuel tank destroyed by vacuum and if your breather is blocked you could be lucky and the engine will stop through starvation, if not you will have the worst case scenario.
There should always be room for expansion in a tank. It's called Ullage.
If you google fuel tank collapse you can see any amount of photos there.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hello All,

Cheers

look at my post all done

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
look at my post all done
Hi Jules, very well done. Can I learn how you managed to get the necessary part to attach the panel there? I have got the 2016 panel but since you know already the piece that you're supposed to attach it on is different on 2017. Please help :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
remove the 2 allen screws and bracket , they are not needed reuse the 3 black orig allen button screws and fit the 2016 plastc cover , the 2016 holes are already there

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
remove the 2 allen screws and bracket , they are not needed reuse the 3 black orig allen button screws and fit the 2016 plastc cover , the 2016 holes are already there
Oooooh, that's great news Jules. Thank you very much. I'm on a different city away from my bike now, but the first thing I'll do will be applying your instructions. Thank you so much again. I hope it'll work for me as well. Cheers.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts