Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my bike last week with 854 miles on it. It had a Dan Moto twin pipe exhaust that was way too loud for my old ears.

Well I got my parts and installed them yesterday. Leo Vince LV-10 muffler and Competition Werkes Tail Tidy 1DSCR. The muffler went on just like it was made for the bike. The Tail Tidy not so easily. Apparently it is for the Scrambler series but not the CR. It would not go on below the mount for the turn signals. I would have to delete them and I prefer not to. By luck I had a few of those spacers that came on the 1991 through 1998 Supersport fairings. The ones mounted on the outside that had a recess for the socket head bolts. They measured 7.5 mm and by placing them between the plastic turn signal holder and the tail tidy it solved my problem. I just had to drill out the hole because they were for 6 mm bolts and the bolts were 8 mm and filt a bolt about 10 mm longer.

The sun came out about noon today and was above 40 degrees F so I rolled out the bike and rode it for around 100 miles. It feels so light and nimble I was just grinning from ear to ear. Plenty of power for the roads I ride. Even did a short three mile stint on the interstate and it accelerated up to 90 mph faster than I thought it would and never felt under powered for the weight of the bike. I rode some roads I know well and found it easy to become comfortable with the bike almost immediately.

The Koso Apollo heated grips worked a treat and my heated jacket liner made it a fun ride until I accidentally unplugged the liner. Had to stop and fix that. The riding position is surprisingly comfortable and I am not sore the least from the position. The seat on the other hand got harder the longer I rode. I may have to look into what is available to fix this. I do have some Moto Skivies with a padded seat that I wil try.

The sound of the Leo Vince is pleasant on the loud spectrum. For day rides with stops periodically I think it will be fine. I did have a neck warmer on which cuts down on noise in the helmet so summer may change my mind but that is a research project that I will have to spend some time on. The sacrifices I make for data.

I did notice this is possibly the lowest gearing I have had on any of the Ducati I have owned. At 60 mph the motor is spinning at 4K rpm. Most of my 1000 and 1100 bikes have more like 75-80 mph at 4K rpm so this is a little different. It pulls well from 2K but shudders a little but not as bad as the bigger bikes. I do not know when the rev limiter cuts in as I am still below 1K miles showing.

All in all I would say this is a keeper and a fun bike to ride.

Here is a shot of what it looked like when I picked it up. Those "Mufflers" are really just straight through pipes and it was way too loud.

Jim

·
Registered
7 Posts
Great looking ride!

Desert Sled suffers from the same revs/low gearing at speed. Has anyone on Scramblerforum gone up a size on the main gear?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Anyone know where the rev limiter cuts in? I would hesitate to reduce the size of the rear sprocket to slow down the revs, it might cut into acceleration too. I still got close to 50 mpg on my first ride so I will leave the gearing alone for now.

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
"suffers" from low gearing? Just get used to it, it adds to the liveliness of the engine. It's not an 1100... keep it over 3k rpm.

Rev limiter cuts in at 9k rpm btw.

·
Registered
792 Posts
On my 800 I went up 1 tooth on the front sprocket and on my 1100 I have gone down 1 tooth. Both suited me fine.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I bought my bike last week with 854 miles on it. It had a Dan Moto twin pipe exhaust that was way too loud for my old ears.

Well I got my parts and installed them yesterday. Leo Vince LV-10 muffler and Competition Werkes Tail Tidy 1DSCR. The muffler went on just like it was made for the bike. The Tail Tidy not so easily. Apparently it is for the Scrambler series but not the CR. It would not go on below the mount for the turn signals. I would have to delete them and I prefer not to. By luck I had a few of those spacers that came on the 1991 through 1998 Supersport fairings. The ones mounted on the outside that had a recess for the socket head bolts. They measured 7.5 mm and by placing them between the plastic turn signal holder and the tail tidy it solved my problem. I just had to drill out the hole because they were for 6 mm bolts and the bolts were 8 mm and filt a bolt about 10 mm longer.

The sun came out about noon today and was above 40 degrees F so I rolled out the bike and rode it for around 100 miles. It feels so light and nimble I was just grinning from ear to ear. Plenty of power for the roads I ride. Even did a short three mile stint on the interstate and it accelerated up to 90 mph faster than I thought it would and never felt under powered for the weight of the bike. I rode some roads I know well and found it easy to become comfortable with the bike almost immediately.

The Koso Apollo heated grips worked a treat and my heated jacket liner made it a fun ride until I accidentally unplugged the liner. Had to stop and fix that. The riding position is surprisingly comfortable and I am not sore the least from the position. The seat on the other hand got harder the longer I rode. I may have to look into what is available to fix this. I do have some Moto Skivies with a padded seat that I wil try.

The sound of the Leo Vince is pleasant on the loud spectrum. For day rides with stops periodically I think it will be fine. I did have a neck warmer on which cuts down on noise in the helmet so summer may change my mind but that is a research project that I will have to spend some time on. The sacrifices I make for data.

I did notice this is possibly the lowest gearing I have had on any of the Ducati I have owned. At 60 mph the motor is spinning at 4K rpm. Most of my 1000 and 1100 bikes have more like 75-80 mph at 4K rpm so this is a little different. It pulls well from 2K but shudders a little but not as bad as the bigger bikes. I do not know when the rev limiter cuts in as I am still below 1K miles showing.

All in all I would say this is a keeper and a fun bike to ride.

Here is a shot of what it looked like when I picked it up. Those "Mufflers" are really just straight through pipes and it was way too loud.

Jim View attachment 44166
The rev limiter (two red lights on odometer) flash at around 9200 rpm's.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts