Ducati Scrambler Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Ducati Scrambler 800 Classic
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
When I saw my bike I absolutely loved the look but was never happy with the rear, the classic fender/mudguard is too long and the number plate hangs out way too far. Doesn't fit the lines of the bike IMHO and I preferred the short fender/mudguard and plate mounted over the rear wheel.

I live in the city so it's a city bike with the occasional country road squirt, doubt it'll ever see anything but tarmac.

BEFORE:
Tire Wheel Vehicle Fuel tank Automotive fuel system

AFTER:
Tire Land vehicle Wheel Vehicle Automotive fuel system

The hardest part of this modification is the number plate light wiring as re-routing it from the tail to the arm requires you to remove pretty much all of the rear section body panels and hunt for the wires. I checked that the part numbers were the same before attempting this to be sure I didn't run into trouble.

I managed to pick up the plate mount with the arm on eBay, complete with all fittings but bought the fender/mudguard new from Ducati. It comes as a complete kit with the correct undertray section and fixings included.

The part is 97180751A "Ducati Rear Mudguard Cafe Racer - Glitter Ice" and fits in extremely well with the aluminium parts. It comes as a complete kit with the correct undertray and required fixings. Instructions are also provided.

The only part I hadn't realised I needed is the "holder" (8291F691AA) shown at "17" in the picture below; which attaches to the swingarm (with 77151278B) and further secures the number plate mounting arm.

Human body Gesture Organism Font Art

Without this part, the number plate mounting arm is secure so I'm not too worried about riding without fitting it but I have ordered this part from Ducati. It's expensive but at least the job's then been done correctly.

Because of re-routing the number plate light, the job took about 3 hours and was a real PITA but overall I'm really happy with the look of the bike now, it looks shorter and more purposeful somehow. I'm happy I did this modification.

I wasn't immediately happy with the soft panniers and planned to remove them but now I totally love them.

I've also replaced the number plate with a small, square, pressed metal plate (6.5" x 6.5") that's almost the same width as the rear tyre. I will have to trim down the plate mount as it's bigger than the plate but afterwards, it'll look excellent and I always use double-sided tape or velcro as I hate plate screws.

In the end; I think it cost around £300 to do this modification.

What do you think?

·
Registered
Ducati Scrambler classic
2 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts