Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all !!! 馃榿馃榿 So last Wed the hubby & I bought bikes & I finally got my dream bike !!! This is my 1st Ducati. I had posted this in Scrambler talk - but thought would be more fitting under the Desert Sled thread.

Since purchase, (basically every time I ride) I've had problems starting bike on a cold start.
I'm up in Vancouver, BC - mornings are still a bit chilly .... However ... After riding the bike to work one day ... Came out to it in the late afternoon (after 8 hrs) ....sunny & warm .... Would not start .... Had to try several times ....with wait few min between each try .... & Finally started.
I'm told that Ducati's can be finicky on cold starts and that this is often normal ... But it's quite frustrating to say the least on a brand new bike. Add to that I have guys coming up to me going ... "Need some help there honey " ... "Give it gas" ... "i think your battery is dead" ... Yada yada ....
Starting to get a bit embarrassing & pissing me off.....
Has ANYONE had/have this problem of really hard cold start .... Any thoughts/info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks all :)

Registered
My 2019 Sled always sounds tired when starting regardless of weather, my old 749 kinda does the same but they always start.

If it did not start when it was warm it might be some tempsensor not working. So it assumes that is either really warm or really cold and gives the wrong mixture.

How cold is cold ? I have no reference of temperatures in Vancouver since I am located in Sweden :)

Registered
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Right now mornings are cool .... 6 Celsius .... But warm up during day ...
I rode into work this am .... This is the FIRST time she fired up 1st try .... So I'm gonna ride every morning for the next 3 days & see how she does ..

Registered
Have the bike been parked during winter ? Might be something that just needed to flushed away or just old fuel.

Hopefully it will be ok now :)

Registered
Agree! Take it to the dealer, there is warranty for a reason :)

Registered
My 2015 Icon: Always starts; but I've learned to leave the throttle alone. If I twitch the throttle like I would a carbed bike, the FI system gets confused and it doesn't want to start.

Registered
Got to agree: take it to dealer to fix. My Sled starts in cold wet winter weather, so far.

Registered
Hello!
Ranger Bob here...
Had starting issues when My 2015 Classic...
Exactly the same as My experiences...
Found the Charcoal Canister was the culprit!
Again, I realize that You have a Sled, but I believe they are similar.
Do a search on "2015 Scrambler Classic Starting Issues"
Documented all of My trials. The only thing that may be different is B.C.
may not require the Charcoal Canister (necessary in USA for DOT Pollution Regulations).
Once removed, bike starts perfectly! Read My posts and it is pretty much explained!

Registered
Hello all !!! 馃榿馃榿 So last Wed the hubby & I bought bikes & I finally got my dream bike !!! This is my 1st Ducati. I had posted this in Scrambler talk - but thought would be more fitting under the Desert Sled thread.

Since purchase, (basically every time I ride) I've had problems starting bike on a cold start.
I'm up in Vancouver, BC - mornings are still a bit chilly .... However ... After riding the bike to work one day ... Came out to it in the late afternoon (after 8 hrs) ....sunny & warm .... Would not start .... Had to try several times ....with wait few min between each try .... & Finally started.
I'm told that Ducati's can be finicky on cold starts and that this is often normal ... But it's quite frustrating to say the least on a brand new bike. Add to that I have guys coming up to me going ... "Need some help there honey " ... "Give it gas" ... "i think your battery is dead" ... Yada yada ....
Has ANYONE had/have this problem of really hard cold start .... Any thoughts/info would be greatly appreciated.

Registered
2012 Monster 1100 EVO no hard start issues. 2108 Scrambler Desert Sled no hard start issues. Temps would have to be really cold probably to the point you wouldn鈥檛 even be riding especially if the bike is in a garage or carport or something. Take it back to the dealer have them check the battery. Good luck.

Registered

I have a 2018 MY and the battery drains quickly (about 10-14 days) if it鈥檚 not on a trickle charger. I have a voltage/usb attachment and this past weekend I realized I hadn鈥檛 been charging it. The battery had dropped to 5.9v.
it鈥檚 been like that since I bought it. So I would Recommend using a charger every night and see what your voltage is.

Registered
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all your replies/suggestions. Will take all advice & recommendations. You all have been great - I appreciate it.

Registered

I鈥檝e had that issue with my 1100. Not on the first start of the day, but after it鈥檚 been sitting at work all day. It this k over 20 attempts one day. I talked to my service guy about the issue. He nailed it on the head. I was over filling my tank and it was goofing with the emission systems. No issue after this was discovered and I quit overfilling.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts