Ducati Scrambler Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have owned my scrambler from new and has been an absolute dog!
Have always owned used bikes so thought I would splash out on something new and worth owning.
However it has been nothing but trouble and strife.
The fork seals went and leaked oil all over wheel spindle /brakes had to be replaced twice.

Brake reservoir is weeping from the top and now the inspection glass also.
Paint quality on the engine is poor.
For a new bike it is dreadful i wouldn't buy another nor recommend anyone to would have been better off with a Chinese scooter.
Should try and save up a little more and get a BMW something that can withstand a British winter.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Sad you had that experience. I actually love my Scrambler – I did fancy the NineRT but funds wouldn't stretch. Here in Sydney, it's been flawless, a badly adjusted clutch (me!?) resulted in an early clutch change and the battery died on the five-year mark. Other than that it's been very reliable and still looks good, other than one rusty washer on a heatshield I haven't yet found the energy to deal with, over the 6 years I've owned it. Maybe it's a climate thing, or a salt on the roads thing (ex-Brit here). Good luck with whatever comes next.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Like Deano968 I have no complaints what so ever with our Scrambler. It has been reliable and inexpensive to maintain. Unfortunately when there is a manufactured product there will always be a small percentage that prove to be not up to standard and you appear to have received one. You don’t say how old the bike is or give any details of its use so it’s really not possible to form an opinion based on one limited side of the story.
Don’t leap headlong into the grass is greener philosophy. Ask BMW owners about fork failures on GS products or shaft drives seizing and even breaking due to water ingress or rear sub frame failures on 800 series bikes or stand and frame breakages on the 310 series bikes. All of these issues were far more prevalent and potentially serious to the rider than anything I have ever seen regarding a Scrambler problem.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Sorry to hear that. What year is it? How many miles? Maybe it’s a lemon? My ‘21 Icon has been rock solid but just under a 1000 miles on it, so it should be solid. Best of luck with BMW.

·
Registered
6 Posts
What a bummer Natt. I did a lot of research myself before buying and the best I could find was a side stand recall from 2017 and a few complaints of snatchy throttle. Nothing to really write home about. The BMW R nine T had a recall on the swing arm from 2014-17. The bolt securing the swing arm pin could come loose. Both the1st and second generation r9t's were affected. That pretty much spoiled the idea of used for me and made the choice of a new Nightshift an easy decision. (trouble free so far) I hope your service department can make it right or basing your next move on who has a better service department and customer loyalty. I'm in Austin, Tx where the Ducati service reviews are almost 5 stars and the BMW service reviews are brutal. Best of luck on the next chapter🍻

·
Registered
Ducati Scrambler Mach 2.0
1 Posts
Hi, i have a 2018 Match 2.0, bought it a couple of months ago second hand with less than 3000 Km (1850 miles). Impressive quality build, paint job and parts. Mi only observations is about the front light; it could use a little more brightness. The starter sounds "tired".. slow.. mi other bike is a Yamaha Tracer 900 and the starter sounds much more quick, or car like if you want. I'm 1.85 meters tall (6 ft) and the bike feels slightly short, but feels veery nimble and agile. Happy owner
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system

1 - 6 of 6 Posts