Ducati Scrambler Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Long time browser, first time poster!

I've been looking at a Scrambler for quite some time now and, after chatting with my insurance broker, ready to finally pull the trigger and buy a Scrambler. I'm currently debating between two Scrambler models - the 2017 Cafe Racer or the 2022 Nightshift.

A bit about me - I'm an "urban/city" rider who would occasionally take trips out to some local twisties on the weekends with some friends. I'm moving up from a Honda CBR500R after close to 5 years of riding.

About the bikes - I do like the overall look of the Cafe Racer, the Termi exhausts, handlebars and do understand that the model is no longer being produced. However, besides also having great looks, the Nightshift is appealing due to the tech upgrades such as the fuel gauge, gear indicator and hydraulic clutch. That plus I kind of dig the spoked wheels. Both are similar in cost at my local dealer as well.

To close this post off, I'm currently leaning towards the Cafe Racer but just wanted to check-in to see if there's something glaring that I'm missing or should steer clear of and purchase the Nightshift? Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I'm sure others will be along with the right bike (I have a 2015 Icon) but I'd say if they're priced the same go for the new bike over a 4 year old one. You know exactly where you stand with it, get a warranty, and of course the new tech you mentioned as well as cornering ABS as well.

·
Registered
230 Posts
End of the day get the one you feel best about. I'd only suggest removing gear indicator and fuel gauge from equation as they are both as useful as the proverbial ashtray on a motorcycle. Brand new bike better peace of mind if you are a new(ish) rider tho

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
If the cost is the same either the 2022 Nightshift is a great value bargain or the 2017 Cafe Racer, a 4 year old bike is a rip off. There is absolutely nothing about the Cafe Racer that justifies ir being the same price near enough as a four year newer bike.
Unless the dealer sees sense and offers you the Cafe Racer at a realistic price walk away from it very, very quickly.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm sure others will be along with the right bike (I have a 2015 Icon) but I'd say if they're priced the same go for the new bike over a 4 year old one. You know exactly where you stand with it, get a warranty, and of course the new tech you mentioned as well as cornering ABS as well.
2019 Cafe Racers have cornering ABS as well.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hi all,

Long time browser, first time poster!

I've been looking at a Scrambler for quite some time now and, after chatting with my insurance broker, ready to finally pull the trigger and buy a Scrambler. I'm currently debating between two Scrambler models - the 2017 Cafe Racer or the 2022 Nightshift.

A bit about me - I'm an "urban/city" rider who would occasionally take trips out to some local twisties on the weekends with some friends. I'm moving up from a Honda CBR500R after close to 5 years of riding.

About the bikes - I do like the overall look of the Cafe Racer, the Termi exhausts, handlebars and do understand that the model is no longer being produced. However, besides also having great looks, the Nightshift is appealing due to the tech upgrades such as the fuel gauge, gear indicator and hydraulic clutch. That plus I kind of dig the spoked wheels. Both are similar in cost at my local dealer as well.

To close this post off, I'm currently leaning towards the Cafe Racer but just wanted to check-in to see if there's something glaring that I'm missing or should steer clear of and purchase the Nightshift? Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!
If you have a particular Cafe Racer in mind that's OK but if you're just interested in Cafe Racer's in general you should also look at the last one (2019-) if you can find one nearby. I have one and love it, plus it has the extras you mention (fuel gauge, gear indicator, hydraulic clutch, spoked wheels etc.) Mine is coming up for three years old soon and I've had no issues at all with it. I tend to do short country trips and longer monthly rides with the local Italian motorcycle club and it always gets admiring looks from the others who come along. A much 'prettier' and more friendly bike than the 2017 I reckon.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have a 2018 Cafe Racer so I am prejudiced. The CR is more comfortable than it looks. At a little over 6 feet tall I really do not have to lean over very much so it is comfortable for all day rides. I am a fan of cast wheels because they weigh less which is a tremendous benefit for handling. They also take tubeless tires which if you get a flat will save your bacon. I also like the gold and black color combination. I am puzzled why they would be the same price though. The CRs are selling for around $8-10K I would think a new bike in the current situation of short supply would be a lot more. I think you would enjoy either one. Test ride them and see if you have a preference. That is the real test of what you should buy.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks all, I do appreciate all of your responses / advice. I should've specified a few things in the upfront... The '17 CR only had 1,000KMs and the dealer is replacing the belt for free (since it's been 5 years). The '22 NS is priced just over 1K more, which I think is priced low, but... no firm date on when it'll actually come in.

To close this story out, I ended up with the CR! I know both were extremely close and logically, probably made more sense to go with the newer model, but for my riding type I did like the road tires. I also liked the 17" front wheel, the clip-on handlebars and the overall look of the CR.

That said, definitely wasn't an easy decision but thanks all for your help! Looking forward to riding the "new" bike come Spring time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.