Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my bike back from its 24,000 km Desmo service. It took a ridiculous five days but I'm happy with the result. They changed oil, oil filter, air filter, brake pads, spark plugs, sprocket retainer shim, the chain, timing belts and did a valve clearance adjustment. I also had the Multistrada foot pegs fitted on recommendation of this forum. They're a little bigger and have rubber insets with more grip than the standard foot pegs - good mod, thanks. I think I may also have an updated map as the bike feels smoother at low revs. Price? It only cost me about 90 US$ (70 Pound) for the pegs and labor to have them fitted. I was lucky enough to get the Ducati Worry Free programme for 4 years or 30,000 km when I bought my bike so the service and parts were all done for freeee!
Slide2.JPG

The spark plugs and belts still looks good for 24,000 km use. What are the little metal half rounds? Are they from the valve shims?
Slide1.JPG

·
Registered
182 Posts
Having my 12,000 km Desmo service in a couple of days. I believe the cost will be in the ballpark of AU$700+.

·
Registered
764 Posts
What are the little metal half rounds? Are they from the valve shims?
Yes. They are the half-rings that locate the closer shims to the valve stems. It is good practice to replace them at each Desmo service. They wear slightly and often simply replacing them brings the closing clearance back within spec. iI the closing clearances are left to get too large the resultant hammering can cause the half-rings to fracture and sometimes come out in 2 or more pieces.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Shouldn't be that much only an oil change.Oil filter
Aircleaner.Bout $270 mine was
The 12,000 km Desmo service includes;
Change engine and oil filter
Check and/or adjust valve clearance
Clean air filter
and a load of checks

I'd expect it to be a bit more than $270AUS.

Reactions: Max Kool

·
Registered
154 Posts
Yep and all that should take no more than 11/2 hrs .Oil 80 $Filter 20$ don't use ducati one it leaks.Valves won't need checking till 24000 .But if they do check ..yep it'll cost ya

·
Registered
764 Posts
Yep and all that should take no more than 11/2 hrs .Oil 80 $Filter 20$ don't use ducati one it leaks.Valves won't need checking till 24000 .But if they do check ..yep it'll cost ya
No. The valves are scheduled for checking every 7,500 miles (12,000 km). They may be able to check the clearances and do the rest within 1 1/2 hours, although I doubt it, but if the valve clearances need adjusting you will be looking at more like 4 to 6 hours all in, depending on how many shims need changing. Openers are easy to change, closers need a lot more work. I've worked on many Ducatis since the late seventies and do servicing for a local workshop on an as required basis, so I know what's involved.

Reactions: Max Kool
1 - 14 of 14 Posts