Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My bike, a Scrambler Classic, logged 24000 miles so service was required.
It underwent all the maintenance in the past following the Desmo service shedule.

The bike went to an official Ducati repair shop, the same shop as allways.
It is of interest to know that the engine runned smoothly BEFORE handing it over.

After they performed their Desmo magic they started the bike for a testride. Standard procedure.
But they immediately turned the engine off because of a rumbling and scary sound coming from within the engine. To use their own words: ' the engine banged like crazy'.

After close examination they found out that all 4 HALF BEARING RED, one BEARING 35X78X19, one BEARING 35X85X23 and one GASKET CYLINDER HEAD were completely destroyed and need to be replaced.

Their explanation:
Normal wear & tear. It can happen.

ButI can not help thinking WTF, the engine runned smoothly when I handed it over. What is happening?

I also cannot help thinking that the damage perhaps occured by an accidentally poor maintenance job.
But all the other Desmo's in the past were carried out 'tiptop' by the same shop.

I decided to let go, drop the emotions, look at it from a distance and get objective information and clarification from the Scrambler community.

My BURNING questions are these:
What causes these specific parts to break down all of a sudden?
With this amount of mileage, which -engine- parts normally need to be replaced?

Please share your experience with me.
Thanks in advance.

Ciao4now
Diemer

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
So the main bearings, and big end bearings.

These parts only break caused by running without oil, especially all of them simultaneously...

Lawyer up, someone ran it without oil.

These typically last an engine’s lifetime.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Did you ride the bike to the service location and/or have it running in their presence when dropped off? If so, I totally agree that they would have a very hard time defending the position that they didn't make a mistake.
Push back.
I strongly suspect that the tech made an innocent mistake, but doesn't want to admit it. Management are supporting the tech either in ignorance or otherwise.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Gentlemen,

Thanks for taking the time to sort it out.
Max Kool : your observation makes sense. Especially when you take into account that also the clutch discs were destroyed and need replacement as well as the starter engine.
I’am looking at a repair bill of $ 3700,- of which half of it are labour costs. The mechanic needs 20 hours to replace the bearings and gasket.

And yes, I had the engine running when I handed it over to, mind you, the shop owner. Sadly he is not a techy. But neverthess I will push back.
Thanks to you I have an argument to build up the case.

If you are interested I can inform you as to the outcome.

Ciao4now
Diemer

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Time to have a frank discussion with the shop owner. Good luck Diemer, please keep us posted.

Sarah

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Wait, what are we looking at?

Big end bearings
main bearings
starter motor (why does a starter motor suddenly fail??)
clutch
a head gasket

What about other bearings or surfaces they haven't discovered yet, like the camshaft bearings for instance? Or the camshaft itself and the followers, they need oil for lubrication else they pit, wear and get destroyed....

(serious, this topic kept me awake last night)

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
You posted something like 'after the Desmo magic........ the bike banged'.
What is the Desmo magic and could it have affected things?
Also you seem to have always had your bike serviced at this dealer. Who is the best person for you to talk to about this?
NB Max Cool has made a very very important point. What else is/could be fu...d?

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Desmo magic ain't nuthing magic. It's just inspecting the valve play, and adjusting it if needed. This works a bit differently than on non-Ducatis.

That said, getting to the vertical cylinder is a bit of a hassle.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Max Kool , I somehow feel guilty keeping you awake last night, for that I apologize. Replacement of the starter engine is a mystery to me. Since lubricant is of essence with regard to ALL moving parts you have a good point. I agree with philgoodscrambler.
philgoodscrambler , 'Desmo magic' is a bit of a cynical phrase I used for addressing the standard Desmo maintenance process. The best person to talk to would be the shop owner. In the end he is the 'DMU' or decision making unit.
greer , I've planned a visit on Thursday next. First I will discuss it with the mecanic individually. If that conversation turns out to be unsatisfactory, I will escalate and adress it to the shop owner.

As for my goal/ barganing position: I will settle for 2/3 of the bill on part of the shop. With 3000 miles maintenance warranty to cover for any follow up damage.

Again thanks to everyone for your support and out of box thinking.

The Saga is to be continued.
Ciao4now
Diemer

·
Registered
734 Posts
WoW, that's a BIG nightmare, taking the bike for a 24K miles service and engine needs a $3,700.00 service!!!, "Their explanation: Normal wear & tear."!!!
If this happen to someone else I might sell my Scrambler and buy any other bike...
Feel your pain, this engine should last longer if appropriate maintenance is perform.
Keep us posted

·
Registered
89 Posts
Holy shit. Is it bad that I want to sell my scrambler now? Due for 15k service in 2k miles and I'm scared.

Plus side Motocorsa is the most popular dealer in the country. Those guys are awesome.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts