Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

On Tuesday 4th September I did my second ever track day and once again did it at Donington Park Circuit.
Luckily the weather held out.
To prep for the track day I had reduced the width of the FT handlebars, installed EBC HH pads front and rear, reduced the preload by one click from maximum. My only concern was that the rear tyre, the original dual knobblies, was squared off.

The track day started well with the handlebars feeling more stable, the bike handled well, the rear tyre felt fine and the brakes were outstanding. The new brake pads allowed me to brake very hard and they didn't fade once!

On the third lap of the second session there was a red flag and as I was slowing down my lower back went.
That was the end of my track day.
My back was so bad I couldn't even take off my leathers and I could hardly walk.
Thankfully I had my dad with me who along with some kind fellow track day riders, my bike and all my kit was loaded into the van.
The pain was horrendous and luckily I didn't have to drive as I could barely get into the van to sit.

The back is slowly feeling better but I'm still recovering from the last time it went which was 2.5 years ago.

I have to really get my back sorted otherwise my riding days could be over.

Anyway back to the track day, it was still a great day out and I loved every minute on the track.

I managed a lap time of 2:20 which I know with a full day I would of knocked some time off.
Not sure if that time is ok for someone who's only been on track twice?

Enjoy the short video, it's of my second lap of the second session.... and for the record I overtook the sportsbike on the next lap just before the red flag came out. Thanks.

IMG-20180904-WA0002.jpg
View attachment 36129

·
Registered
255 Posts
Sorry to hear about your back...
I speak from experience having had a prolapsed disc which caused prolonged pain .. but Doctors advise was to tough it out and avoid surgery if possible.
I suffered pins and needles in backs of thighs, and feet which is a sign back issues are serious ... hoping you don't have the same?

Also .. visiting a chiropracter aggravated my condition .. I would recommend against this.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Do you wear a kidney belt when you ride? If not try one they give you a lot of lower back support (and have the added benefit of keeping your kidneys and lower back area warmer). I started wearing one back in the 1970s in MX and Enduro days and still regularly wear one on long riding days and always have a much better feeling in my lower back when I do.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Lower back ... been there. Core exercises worked for me and I've kept it doing them for 20yrs. At its worst it took a half hour to cover 20 feet to the toilet.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies guys.

I was very fit and strong prior to my back going so my core strength was good. Was doing lots of CrossFit before hand.
I spent over £1000 on physio and chiropractors in the first 12 months when my back went 2.5 years ago. I did extensive core work activating, strengthening and mobilising but didn't do much.
Actually my back first went 5.5 years ago, did some sit ups whilst wrapped around someone's waist! Idiot!
2 days after doing those sit ups where I obviously hyper extended my lower back it went at work. Within a month i was starting CrossFit so it healed quickly.
When it went 2.5 years ago I was still recovering from it before it went again on Tuesday.

I've had 7 MRI'S and 8 x-rays along with loads of blood tests, been diagnosed with fibromyalgia and that's the path everyone has been going down so I've not really seen a proper consultant that specializes in the spine.
They did say that I have some disc problems but that they aren't causing me the main problem.
L3/L4 dehydrated... L4/L5 torn... L5/S1 protruding.
Spoke to the Dr on Tuesday via the telephone as they hardly allow physical appointments anymore, the Dr wouldn't refer me again and said they've done all they can. I've since found out about other tests and as I've said I want to see a proper spinal consultant so there might be a heated telephone call today! Lol.

I get pins and needles in both hands and occasionally in my legs.

I've also been told recently that the vertebra bones in my thoracic are thinning so I need more blood tests for that.

Sorry to hear about everyone else's problems. It's not nice and I hope you all recover to.

Many thanks.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
That’s quite the story, sorry man!

Take your time recovering, and don’t do any silly stuff.

Mind if I ask, what is your age, and how physically demanding is your job?

·
Registered
733 Posts
Sorry to hear about your back.... I suffer ocassionally and just use Naproxen.. but its mild compared to yours..

What brake pads did you buy.. could you post a link please...

THANKS

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That’s quite the story, sorry man!

Take your time recovering, and don’t do any silly stuff.

Mind if I ask, what is your age, and how physically demanding is your job?
I'm 38 now...getting old lol.
I do renovation work which I've been doing for the last 6 years. Prior to that I was a care/support worker.
I've always had a strong back from training but hey ho.
The renovation work can make my back sore sometimes but often helps as I move around lots.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When your back gets better try Yoga, tell the teacher about your back and take it easy.

I should of started yoga way before...so I'm annoyed with myself tbh.
As soon as it settles I'm getting back to the rehab, physio and going to start yoga.
Treat myself like a project and get myself in a position where I can do track days next year.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Hi Spoke to my Ducati Dealer to ask about the brake pads on 1100 to be sure they are the same as on the 800

He confirmed that they are - but asked why I was looking so soon to change - so after explanation of more bite - AM pads - he said OK - no issue but do not by the EBC ones buy SBS brand - but stay with the HH.

He said they use them in their race bikes - do not need to warm up - good in wet and dry - no fade.

Price is similar to EBC - anyone tried them??

He said they are used by may of the TT racers and race teams...

Thoughts

·
Registered
733 Posts
He stocks just Ducati... he is a main dealer.. So no bias in his advise from that perspective... but I had not heard of them... So just asking if anyone else had experience...

Do you find they are much sharper at stopping? more feel?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
He stocks just Ducati... he is a main dealer.. So no bias in his advise from that perspective... but I had not heard of them... So just asking if anyone else had experience...

Do you find they are much sharper at stopping? more feel?

The very initial bite is around the same.
The next phase of bite is slightly better but where the EBC pads really excel are the next phase. The pads then bite hard and continue to do so. No brake fade at all.
In fact, they saved me a few times on the track where I braked too late but they just kept on braking.

·
Registered
733 Posts
OK - Fitted the EBC HH pads yesterday and took it for a ride today.

First few brakes - rubbish... then the pad must have bedded in and the pads stop incredibly well - maybe too well... just will take a bit of getting used to.. I have also adjusted the lever now for the next ride bringing it nearer the bar - because you do not need to pull these so much..

Got back and cleaned bike - rear - no difference.. front a bit more dust than the standard (I Think) - but nothing major.

However - when i turn the wheels - you can hear the pads drag at the high spots (as normal) but the sound is much more metallic... especially on the back.

Happy with their performance and will see how I get on with them over the next month or two..

Definately brake harder for the lever effort than the standard pads..

1 - 20 of 21 Posts