Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I live in North Vancouver Canada and bought my first ever road bike at the tender age of 54. Fitting with the number plate on the side of the Scrambler, right?

I got to ride it about 2,500km in the fall last year until it got too cold and wet to be enjoyable. I cannot tell you how hard it was to wait until the 1st of March when I re-licensed it and put it back out on the road.

I fell in love with the idea of getting a Ducati in the spring of 2019 when I was working in San Francisco and a work friend let me ride his 2017 black and gold Cafe Racer over the Golden Gate Bridge and back into the city. Amazing feeling and experience and I knew from that point I would buy my own.

General impressions so far:

1. LOVE the look of my bike, I would not change anything, even the exhaust (which I understand can make some significant differences) as I think she's perfect as is
2. LOVE getting so many nods, smiles, thumbs up and random people coming up to ask about my bike...she is a looker for sure!
3. LOVE the way she feels and responds on throttle and braking and cornering and for me as a first time road biker, its amazing for me to build up my skills and not kill myself
4. LOVE driving around the city on it, and also have done a few 4 hour trips on it, Vancouver to Whistler and back, which is one of the nicest roads in the PNW
5. LOVE the Ducati community, and bike community in general....everyone seems so chill and friendly and always eager to talk when you pull off the road for coffee or a stretch of the legs....
6. My 15 year old son, asked me this weekend to save the bike for him when he gets old enough to ride....

Tough decision now....I need another bike, and am torn between a 1260S MultiStrada or the Enduro...first world problems indeed!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
nice bike and welcome to the obsession that's motor cycling. Another bike as in a second one for the shed or a replacement?
Thanks Dr Walrus! Yours looks awesome too! That is an 1100 or 800cc?

I think I need two bikes, one for long road rides (i.e. the 1260s Multistrada) and I will keep my Cafe Racer for around the city and quick rips up to Whistler for coffee and back....

How about you? 1 or 2 bikes or more?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the bike is a 2015 icon 800. unfortunately I only have the one, but I do ride every day.
Looks like you live in Australia! Must be nice to ride every day. We have snow coming tomorrow and its Spring already! Anyhow drive safe out there my friend! And thanks for the comments.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have a 2019 (new rider too) Icon but my father has a 2018 Africa Twin and a 2019 Multistrada Pikes Peak... I dont have the required license to drive those two yet but let me tell you he is super happy with his 1260. He test drove the enduro before he got the PP and tells me that they drive pretty similar. However, he tells me that the higher capacity deposit and the slightly taller windshield makes the enduro better for longer rides. If he wouldn't have already had the Africa Twin, he would've gone for the enduro instead... thats just his opinion though!

In your situation, because you already have a great bike for twisty roads and the city, I would go for the enduro for those longer rides and in case you want to ever go on easy trails.

Good luck!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a 2019 (new rider too) Icon but my father has a 2018 Africa Twin and a 2019 Multistrada Pikes Peak... I dont have the required license to drive those two yet but let me tell you he is super happy with his 1260. He test drove the enduro before he got the PP and tells me that they drive pretty similar. However, he tells me that the higher capacity deposit and the slightly taller windshield makes the enduro better for longer rides. If he wouldn't have already had the Africa Twin, he would've gone for the enduro instead... thats just his opinion though!

In your situation, because you already have a great bike for twisty roads and the city, I would go for the enduro for those longer rides and in case you want to ever go on easy trails.

Good luck!
Great advice and thanks. Since I live in British Columbia, there are 1000's of KM of forest service roads all over the place and also not to mention Alaska and the Yukon. The Enduro might be the best bet for sure!

Enjoy your new Icon! The all black Pro Sport (?) for 2020 looks incredible....

·
Registered
57 Posts
Well done. It took me 25 years to get the 'courage' to start riding. 5 accidents later I am still hooked (I should stick to sports cars).

Nice bike. I originally looked at this one but then saw the black n gold and personally liked it more. Both great.
People do love this bike. The owner before me took of the Ducati Scramlber on the tank and changed the back end (losing Ducati name) so most people come up asking WTH it is.

Next bike? Big bike for distance. I recommend the Africa Twin. I bought the new one but the older ones are bullet proof too. Though nice to have two Ducatis.

Ride safe man. I am not much younger, though have a dangerous personality, and our reaction are not what they should be! :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Love the black and gold. Especially the rims. It’s the bike that got me hooked.

Drive safely out there.

Personally I think the CR is the perfect bike for older, new riders as it’s very approachable and exciting to ride.
I definitely am hooked on bikes now and will add a Multistrada 1260s this year and possibl

Well done. It took me 25 years to get the 'courage' to start riding. 5 accidents later I am still hooked (I should stick to sports cars).

Nice bike. I originally looked at this one but then saw the black n gold and personally liked it more. Both great.
People do love this bike. The owner before me took of the Ducati Scramlber on the tank and changed the back end (losing Ducati name) so most people come up asking WTH it is.

Next bike? Big bike for distance. I recommend the Africa Twin. I bought the new one but the older ones are bullet proof too. Though nice to have two Ducatis.

Ride safe man. I am not much younger, though have a dangerous personality, and our reaction are not what they should be! :)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Yeah, given my penchant for speed, I did kinda fancy a Tuono, Super Duke R or Brutale but they are mad bikes and bloody lethal. Ths CR is much more relaxed. In fact, in my world, it is a super slow bike. By that I mean that the take up and progression is very muted therefore perfect for new and older riders who don't want to be scared to death.

I really like the bike and it is a 'relaxing' foil to my Fireblade SP2.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, given my penchant for speed, I did kinda fancy a Tuono, Super Duke R or Brutale but they are mad bikes and bloody lethal. Ths CR is much more relaxed. In fact, in my world, it is a super slow bike. By that I mean that the take up and progression is very muted therefore perfect for new and older riders who don't want to be scared to death.

I really like the bike and it is a 'relaxing' foil to my Fireblade SP2.
I like how you call it "super slow bike" LOL I have not rode a "mad bike" yet and can't wait....but I am going to master this one first before I get my own "fast bike" which will likely be a 1260s Multistrada....

·
Registered
57 Posts
Ha, yeah, there are different versions of the word 'fast'.

Due to my WhichBike hobby I have ridden a LOT of bikes.
The Ducati 'feels' slow - it is just the delivery. Mind you, not as bad as a Harley/Indian.

The MT-07 feels faster, the MT-09 is a lot faster and then when you get to MT-10, Fireblade the word 'fast' means 'WTF am I doing on this bike'.

However, yes, my blade is super fast but it is not mad!
Mad means ridiculous torque with wheels popping up or one buggering a bend up coz you sneezed.
In this category I would put the Super Duke R, Tuono and Brutale RR.
They are not fun - at all. They are mad, dangerous and thrilling. :) You smile not because you enjoyed it but because you lived.

I have reviewed the 1260S - I did like it. Second hand it is a good buy.

Now I have been out on the Triumph Tiger XRT I think the Triumph is better.
You don't need 2 Ducatis! :)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Actually, ha, just watched the video myself.. My quality is a lot better now.
Yeah, that Multistrada was a fast bike, no doubt. Not BMW XR fast but very swift in the mid and top end.
It is faster than the Triumph - I'll give it that.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ha, yeah, there are different versions of the word 'fast'.

Due to my WhichBike hobby I have ridden a LOT of bikes.
The Ducati 'feels' slow - it is just the delivery. Mind you, not as bad as a Harley/Indian.

The MT-07 feels faster, the MT-09 is a lot faster and then when you get to MT-10, Fireblade the word 'fast' means 'WTF am I doing on this bike'.

However, yes, my blade is super fast but it is not mad!
Mad means ridiculous torque with wheels popping up or one buggering a bend up coz you sneezed.
In this category I would put the Super Duke R, Tuono and Brutale RR.
They are not fun - at all. They are mad, dangerous and thrilling. :) You smile not because you enjoyed it but because you lived.

I have reviewed the 1260S - I did like it. Second hand it is a good buy.

Now I have been out on the Triumph Tiger XRT I think the Triumph is better.
You don't need 2 Ducatis! :)
I really like and appreciate your response and the video too! Really good, cheers mate!

Well I will go ride the Triumph for sure beforeI buy. Any thoughts on the BMW ADV TOUR bike in this same segment?

Its so good people like you are on these blogs to share experiences with us newbs!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Well, you can't go wrong with a BMW to be honest. Likely better residuals. I don't know how the prices are in the USA and how they hold value. You'd need to go on all three to be honest and see which one has that magic touch. You need more than an hour. These are all superb bikes.

As it happens, although I bought the new Africa Twin AS with DCT the bike I actually liked the most out of all of the bikes mentioned was the KTM Super Adventure 1290S/ What a beast!!
However, I really fancied DCT for this type of riding PLUS the nearest KTM dealer was a long way away.
I suspect it would be the same problem over there.

·
Registered
36 Posts

Tough decision now....I need another bike, and am torn between a 1260S MultiStrada or the Enduro...first world problems indeed!
I would make sure I did some test rides first. The bikes are quite different from what you have and you may not like the change. First they will be top heavy in comparison and that is why I did not buy a 1200 Multistrada a few years ago. Also the performance increase will be huge and again might not be to your liking. A Multistrada 950 might be a better transition choice. I have a black and gold Cafe Racer and a 939 Supersport S which has the same motor and I can tell you it is a big difference. Always take a test ride to make sure it is the right direction. My personal prejudice is I do not like the ADV bikes. Sold my 800 Triumph Tiger just for that reason. I have a 1100 Air cooled Hypermotard that I use for touring and it is much lighter and for some reason much less top heavy. Of course I had to replace the stock 3.3 gallon tank with the California Cycle Works 6.4 gallon tank to make it work. Just be sure you get what will truly work for you. TEST RIDES

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I would make sure I did some test rides first. The bikes are quite different from what you have and you may not like the change. First they will be top heavy in comparison and that is why I did not buy a 1200 Multistrada a few years ago. Also the performance increase will be huge and again might not be to your liking. A Multistrada 950 might be a better transition choice. I have a black and gold Cafe Racer and a 939 Supersport S which has the same motor and I can tell you it is a big difference. Always take a test ride to make sure it is the right direction. My personal prejudice is I do not like the ADV bikes. Sold my 800 Triumph Tiger just for that reason. I have a 1100 Air cooled Hypermotard that I use for touring and it is much lighter and for some reason much less top heavy. Of course I had to replace the stock 3.3 gallon tank with the California Cycle Works 6.4 gallon tank to make it work. Just be sure you get what will truly work for you. TEST RIDES
Really great advice! Thank you for sharing sir. I am interested in trying the Monster with the same motor and see how the performance differs. BTW - can you help me convince my wife why I need two or more bikes? I told her its like hand bags, some events you need different styles. She said her bags don't cost $25k - thank god she does not buy bags that expensive LOL...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Really great advice! Thank you for sharing sir. I am interested in trying the Monster with the same motor and see how the performance differs. BTW - can you help me convince my wife why I need two or more bikes? I told her its like hand bags, some events you need different styles. She said her bags don't cost $25k - thank god she does not buy bags that expensive LOL...
Tell her I am 74 years old and have been married for almost 46 years to the same woman and I own 7 motorcycles. I have had 41 motorcycles over that time and only three of them before we met. 14 were Ducati so it represents the largest group. She made me build a Man Cave for my bikes so she could get her car back into the garage. I have had as many as 12 at one time but have been on a major fleet reduction plan over the last five years. The monster should be a little more comfortable than the Cafe Racer but not by much. It will depend on your height. The Cafe racer has lower bars but the tank is shorter. I am a little over 6 feet and find the Cafe Racer tolerable for long trips. I did a 360 mile day about two weeks ago with combined Interstate, had to get to the mountains, and then lots of tight roads. The only real problem I had was the seat is clearly a 250 mile seat. Here is my touring Hypermotard.

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Tell her I am 74 years old and have been married for almost 46 years to the same woman and I own 7 motorcycles. I have had 41 motorcycles over that time and only three of them before we met. 14 were Ducati so it represents the largest group. She made me build a Man Cave for my bikes so she could get her car back into the garage. I have had as many as 12 at one time but have been on a major fleet reduction plan over the last five years. The monster should be a little more comfortable than the Cafe Racer but not by much. It will depend on your height. The Cafe racer has lower bars but the tank is shorter. I am a little over 6 feet and find the Cafe Racer tolerable for long trips. I did a 360 mile day about two weeks ago with combined Interstate, had to get to the mountains, and then lots of tight roads. The only real problem I had was the seat is clearly a 250 mile seat. Here is my touring Hypermotard.
Special woman! Lucky you! Thanks again for the information and your Hypermotard looks so cool...great advice to check out one of those bikes.

I am going to take my Cafe Racer from Vancouver to Calgary in June - about miles, so a 2 day trip...have to see what she's like on a nice run!

Might come back through Montana, Idaho, Washington if the border is open....

·
Registered
36 Posts
Ride safe. If you are doing any highway riding you will see you have no wind protection. I use a large magnetic tank bag which blocks wind on my stomach only. Have fun and enjoy. As to Hypermotards they old air cooled have less power but more torque and at lower rpm than the newer water cooled ones. I think the air cooled ones are a little taller and I would prefer them but I already have so much time and money into this one it is hard to get rid of. 32K miles and still going.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts