Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Topic.

Got a buddy who wants to charge me 300 to paint my yellow icon to gloss black.

Then another friend hits me up and says his friend can charge 180ish. Just the 3 pieces for the icon.

Is 300 too much ? Should I go for the cheaper option?

·
Registered
941 Posts
Topic.

Got a buddy who wants to charge me 300 to paint my yellow icon to gloss black.

Then another friend hits me up and says his friend can charge 180ish. Just the 3 pieces for the icon.

Is 300 too much ? Should I go for the cheaper option?
I would want to see examples of their work before deciding

·
Registered
292 Posts
I would want to see examples of their work before deciding
This. The only thing that matters with paintwork is the quality of the job. I could tell you I'll paint the whole bike for $100, but I have no idea what I'm doing and it would look terrible. I'd much rather pay a little extra to get a quality job when it comes to paint.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
It cost me £320 for x2 mudguards x1 fairing + a café racer tank (already black). Also the paint work is cock on.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Call a bodyshop, better still, visit one.

You don’t want to loose a friend over a paint job that wasn’t as you expected...

·
Registered
18 Posts
I once had a car spoiler painted (many moons ago) by a mate, cheap, wish I hadn't, couldn't believe the orange peel. He sprays for a living too. Cost me extra to get it back to the start and then did my homework and got a 'proper job done.
Try and see their work first

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i picked up the pieces from my friend. he did a great job, although i did notice a few mistakes. very minor and don't seem to bother me. it will truely shine in the sunlight. i'll post pics when it's done.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Keep in mind that removing and reinstalling the tank on scrambler is not as simple an operation as some mechanics believe. I have heard first hand stories of fuel hose coming loose on the road and dumping a shitload of fuel on the riders pants. I would not let anyone other than a trusted mechanic or a ducati dealer to remove my tank.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts