Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you may know, I've been working on these tank badges for a while. So here they are! But I wanted to do a brief walkthrough of these. First, they are quite pricey. At almost $200/pair and it doesn't come perfect. 3D printing still have its faults. I want to show its faults and my way of going around it. It may or may not be worth it but hey, I'm not making any money out of this so take it or leave it :rolleyes:

Ok diving in. I got these printed in the stainless steel option. As you can see, it came back quite rough. This is mainly because of the printer's resolution loss when an object has huge surface that is slightly curved. I think their "polished" metals takes those ridges away but I am not 100% certain. I never printed polished before and it's too much money for me to try it in various materials.
P1070261.JPG

To fix this, I used my orbital sander going through 80, 120, and stopped at 220 grit. I quite like the brushed metal look at 220 grit. I'm not interested in polished mirror. So that made it look like this.
IMG_20151107_162651701.jpg

I found a used bottle of Testor's Enamel paint in one of my drawers. Painting is easy since I am just filling in the grooves. Just need a little patience. Although if you're using a thicker type of paint, it should cover up those 3D print ridges completely. Then followed up with a few layers of gloss clear coat from a spray can.
P1070308.JPG

Some 3M automotive molding tape.
P1070309.JPG

And then finally on the bike.
P1070314.JPG

After knowing all that, if you still want it, here is the link for purchase from Shapeways.

Again, I do not know how the other materials effect the print. This is offered as is. I am not making any money from this. Prices are Shapeways' material and labor cost.

·
Registered
3 Posts
They look great finished on the bike - did you get the bronze infused stainless? It is the only stainless option I see.

Thank again for the through post

·
Registered
33 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
IMG_20160331_133112.jpg

I found these on eBay for $49, they are listed for $44 now. They are made in India, so the finish is not impeccable. But I'm happy with them for that price.

I'm not sure what the material is, but it's definitely not stainless. My guess would be some type of aluminum alloy - they are very light.

·
Registered
1 Posts
View attachment 4910

I found these on eBay for $49, they are listed for $44 now. They are made in India, so the finish is not impeccable. But I'm happy with them for that price.

I'm not sure what the material is, but it's definitely not stainless. My guess would be some type of aluminum alloy - they are very light.
Hi, i would like to put these wings on mine. How did you attach it? With crews or molding tape? Did you have trouble with the curvature?

Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
View attachment 4910

Hi, how did you get the alloy to bend with the curve on the tank?
Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
As some of you may know, I've been working on these tank badges for a while. So here they are! But I wanted to do a brief walkthrough of these. First, they are quite pricey. At almost $200/pair and it doesn't come perfect. 3D printing still have its faults. I want to show its faults and my way of going around it. It may or may not be worth it but hey, I'm not making any money out of this so take it or leave it :rolleyes:
Hi, how do you stick this flat on the tank (as the surface is slightly curved). Thanks.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts