Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
my scrambler now has 6500 miles on the clock, would it be sensible to have the 7500 mile service now as the oil is over due and might be best before spring time lands? just been quoted £454 all in.

thanks

·
Registered
211 Posts
Prob somewhat depends on how hard a life the bike has had, but my view would be that doing it early, just forces you to do it early next time. Therefore no real benefit.

Note that I'm always a bit bullish on synthetic oil lifetime - others are not.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't thrash it to death but I don't hang around either, it'll only cost me a bit of mileage but piece of mind when the better weather comes. I'm still not sure as it needs it's first MOT, taxing, new back tyre, a legal reg plate and a service! Still worth every penny.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Hi
my scrambler now has 6500 miles on the clock, would it be sensible to have the 7500 mile service now as the oil is over due and might be best before spring time lands? just been quoted £454 all in.

thanks
Give your dealer a call and ask them.

Your dilemma is clear. Timewise, your oil is due for a change, but you still have 1000 miles to go for the 7500 mile Desmo service...

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
is it not fairly painless dropping the oil yourself?
Yes, I bought the motul 300v but when I spoke to ducati they said if I change the oil and not them when they checked the valves they wouldn't stamp the service book or knock off my service light. If I change the oil now i would have the oil changed again in a 1000 miles to have the book stamped etc so I thought it might be best saving my oil for the next std oil change and let them do this one.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Don´t worry about it, A thousand miles is neither here nor there for a decent oil.
Unless you do lots of 5 mile trips to the shops and back that oil will be fine. Short runs contaminate the oil quicker but if you do decent runs mostly it´ll be fine.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I still stay don't waste time/money changing the oil now or servicing early.

My personal feelings on this were validated last year while attending one of the Ducati Riding Experience events in Italy. If you're not familiar these events are hosted by Ducati test riders and pro-racers (or ex-pro-racers). I asked them the question of oil and filter change frequency and their response was very clear; the number one problem they see is chain maintenance, followed closely by tire pressure and tire selection. Their view is (backed by them actually riding these bikes 100,000 kms before launch) that the the manufacturers oil change mileage frequency is fine and has no benefit in increasing the frequency. They specifically mentioned that over-changing the oil filter probably does more harm than good.

In your case, I still maintain that servicing early has no benefit and will just kick the problem down the road when you'll be required to service early again.

Every thread needs a picture, so here's me looking like a stud in Italy on the Ducati DRE.
PB_DRE20170721_7589.jpg
PB_DRE20170721_7235.jpg

·
Registered
192 Posts
Yes, I bought the motul 300v but when I spoke to ducati they said if I change the oil and not them when they checked the valves they wouldn't stamp the service book or knock off my service light. If I change the oil now i would have the oil changed again in a 1000 miles to have the book stamped etc so I thought it might be best saving my oil for the next std oil change and let them do this one.
That really sucks. They're holding you up for ransom. I did my fist oil change and my dealer turned off the service light when they did the side stand recall. I've had 2 major warranty claims and there were no questions asked about the service. I didn't buy the bike from them either. I only discovered them after the fact.

·
Registered
734 Posts
guys, I just did my first oil service/filter yesterday (600 miles) and will have to buy a Rexxer to erase the service light.:BangHead:
no dealer in PR.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
IMG_6788.JPG
Booked in next week for the full monty, i couldn't be bothered splitting it or having the hassle of the service light on, plus it will help a little bit with the depreciation that's if I don't drop it on the way there as it's predicted snow. I agree we should post more pics.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just returned from my 7500 service, cost £449 only 1 exhaust shim needed and all good but the paper work is a bit lame, firstly I had it done at Ducati Leeds but the receipt reads triumph West yorkshire, they didn't tick the desmo service in the service book infact there' s hardly any evidence that they did it apart from a tick sheet (which I could tick if I was dishonest) and on the receipt it has an exhaust shim for £2. They couldn't even reset my service schedule on the dash as I'd done it 1000 mile early. I reckon I should of received more info on the valve gaps and maybe oil condition etc, maybe it' s just me been picky but I used to use Ducati John in leeds and he would present a full run down of what' s been done and replaced also gaps and condition and cheaper.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Service is in the eye of the beholder, so I think you should feel happy if you've spent 500GBP.
I really dislike it when they don't complete the service log. Seems such an easy thing to do and IMO it helps make the next owner feel a lot better about the bike.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts