Ducati Scrambler Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read on a thread about the high exhaust that one Monster 796 owner said something to the effect that since he had so much heat coming off the left side of his bike, he didn't need more heat on the right with the high exhaust.

I'm wondering if heat is a real issue with these models. I've owned 3 water cooled bikes and heat was definitely an issue and in one case caused me to sell the bike. But none of the 47 air cooled bikes I've owned including 3 Ducatis (all 900's) had any heat issues.

So what gives with the 796 ? Any other 796 owners out there who can shed some light on this ? I'd be bummed if the Scrambler turned out to be a hot box.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I read on a thread about the high exhaust that one Monster 796 owner said something to the effect that since he had so much heat coming off the left side of his bike, he didn't need more heat on the right with the high exhaust.

I'm wondering if heat is a real issue with these models. I've owned 3 water cooled bikes and heat was definitely an issue and in one case caused me to sell the bike. But none of the 47 air cooled bikes I've owned including 3 Ducatis (all 900's) had any heat issues.

So what gives with the 796 ? Any other 796 owners out there who can shed some light on this ? I'd be bummed if the Scrambler turned out to be a hot box.
I have owned both a monster 796 & hypermotard 796 never any oroblems with heat

·
Registered
55 Posts
This has been my primary concern with the Scrambler. I have ridden a friend's Monster 696 for about 100 miles and while moving it was fine. But stopped at a red light or traffic, your legs will cook! Another friend also has a Monster 696 and says the same. Loads of fun to ride but when stopped, it throws off serious heat. If the ride reports on the Scrambler come out saying the same, I may reconsider getting it. We shall see, hope those ride reports come out soon. I currently ride an BMW R1200GS (which I'm keeping, really like this bike) which has an air cooled engine, but the opposed twin throws the heat out and away, not an issue.

Here's to staying cool!

·
Registered
166 Posts
my 696 gets hot. Air cooled engines will get hot. I'll probably stick with the low exhaust because of that.

I guess you could take the shields off and wrap the pipes and then re-install the shields?

·
Registered
32 Posts
my 696 gets hot. Air cooled engines will get hot. I'll probably stick with the low exhaust because of that.

I guess you could take the shields off and wrap the pipes and then re-install the shields?

Yup, if I find it hot I'll probably wrap the pipes. At least wrapped pipes will match 'the look' of the Classic...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
40 Posts
Living in Florida, My old tube frame Buell Thunderbolt would constantly go in to 'overheat mode' (the spark would skip every other cycle). So imagine how hot that was! The later tank/frames had a fan for the rear jug. So, I bought a V-Strom, no heat, great bike but hideous suspension and plastic, it had to go to. If my new Icon doesn't like Florida, I'm hoping pipe wrap will ease it a bit. Or move north! There's so few crooked roads here anyway.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Ceramic coating will keep the heat in and look far better than that hideous pipe wrap. You can get the inside coated too and improve the flow through the exhaust.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts