Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I thought I'd give it a try here with you smart folks.
I have a 2015 Icon. Pretty much as long as I can remember I had engine surging at almost exactly 4000 rpm. I figured it was just the well discussed low rpm surging issue so I went ahead and got a rexxer remap a few months ago. That really helped the overall fueling but I still had the 4000rpm surging problem. I had the guy who did the remap try an edit but the surging is still there. It is only at 4k, not above or below. I brought the bike in to Ducati for 24k service (valves, oil change etc...) and asked them to take a look at the surging issue (I can set the bike in neutral and rev to 4000 and you can see and hear the surging on the tach).
The mechanic plugged the bike into the Ducati analyzer / diagnostic computer and he says it all came up green lights. He has no idea (or time) to figure out what it is.
So... wondering if any of you experts have some ideas.
It's annoying as 4000rpm in 2nd gear seems to be traffic speed for me. Also there is a dead spot as I accelerate through 4k.
Many thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
My answer: some bikes just do that, at least to some extent. A carb'ed Suzuki and an EFI BMW in my past come to mind. And my Scrambler always had a bit of surging around 4k, most noticeable when the bike is cold. I can't say I've noticed a dead spot though. I've never worried about it, but I can see it being aggravating in traffic. Wonder if re-gearing the bike with a sprocket change might make the surge less noticeable at the speeds you need to travel?

Sarah

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had something very similar with my 2015 Icon - nothing showed up on the diagnostics, but it was a faulty O2 sensor causing incorrect fuelling around 4000rpm - it was fine below, and fine above once you'd accelerated through the flat spot. Mind you, the way it took off coming out of the flat spot was a touch alarming!

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I had something very similar with my 2015 Icon - nothing showed up on the diagnostics, but it was a faulty O2 sensor causing incorrect fuelling around 4000rpm - it was fine below, and fine above once you'd accelerated through the flat spot. Mind you, the way it took off coming out of the flat spot was a touch alarming!
I've read a couple of posters with the same issue and turned out to be the same as jezh above ^^

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Hmm. I may need to pay close attention and check for a flat spot.

Sarah

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And thanks everyone... I did a bit of internet sleuthing and I may try cleaning the 02 sensors and see if that does anything before I go ahead and buy new ones....

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Have you decided on a particular method? A google search pops up everything from lemon juice to running the engine wide open. A slew of the things on Ebay, if you decide on new ones. Good luck, and hope you'll keep us posted.

Sarah

1 - 10 of 10 Posts