Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday at about mile 53 of a 60 mile commute I got a bad wobble on rt 95 coming into Providence RI , fortunately just as traffic slowed down to stop and go. I got myself over to the shoulder and got off to find that I had a flat tire on my brand new Pirelli Angel. At the same time I noticed my front headlight lens was smashed. Go figure, headlight was fine when I left work and I have no clue as to how it could have gotten smashed. Anyway, I ended up waiting there from 6 pm until 7:30 until tow got there. Took me and bike to my shop and I left it to get fixed and my GF picked me up. Then we left and stopped at the market and as I went in I noticed I had also lost my wallet. Went back to the bike shop (closed) and checked the parking lot and didn't find it. In total panic mode I took off to go back out to the highway on the slim chance that I might find it. As I pulled off on to the shoulder where I had been waiting, miraculously, there was my wallet sitting on top of the concrete barrier. I was relived to say the least. Turned out I got a nail in my brand new tire and bike was ready for me after work today. After a fairly expensive day, I now need a new headlight lens which is the point of this post. I was hoping a good story might help the cause. So if anyone out there has one they've taken off, let me know what you need for it. Be gentle, I'm an old guy. Actually finding my wallet took some of the sting out of it.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As it turned out the headlight worked perfectly although the lens was totally destroyed. Took it to the dealer and there wasn't a mark on the bike to indicate that the lens was hit by anything nor did i notice something hitting bike while riding. Anyway, the dealer (Rayzee in RI) got it warrantied by Ducati so a new one is on it's way.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Nice to hear a warranty story like that now and again, good for you!

Sarah

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just got a 2nd flat on my 3 week old Pirelli Angels. I picked up a piece of metal which looks like a spring clip embedded deep in the tire. Traffic is really bad and frequently I ride on the shoulder around traffic whenever I use my bike for work. I'm wondering if other people have had similar flat problems from riding on the shoulder.....or maybe Pirelli Angel was a poor choice.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I feel for your situation, but: You should never ride on the shoulder of the road for precisely this reason. The shoulder is where all the scattered detritus on the road tends to collect. Every time I've had a flat on a motorcycle or bicycle, and even most of the time in a car, it's been because I rode into the shoulder for one reason or another.

I picked up THREE nails in a practically new tire on my car that way about two years ago.. Luckily, only one went through and it was able to be repaired, but I would have been out another $200 or so if I needed to replace it.

I make a point nowadays of taking up space in a vehicle lane with either bicycle or motorcycle whenever traffic gets dicey. It keeps people aware of you AND is much safer with respect to tires and such as well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts