Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - I picked up a second hand Abba Superbike stand and purchased the Ducati Scrambler fittings from Abba after confirming with them via email that they will fit the 1100.

However, it's not possible to firmly seat the cups in the swingarm and the stand without being fouled by the footpegs (footpegs are raised using the supplied tags).

If I remove the rubber inserts from the footpegs I can (with a lot of effort) fit the cup in the left hand side, but the footpeg is jammed solid against the stand bar, and it's not possible to line up the right hand side.

Searching through the forum, I see someone has managed to use the stand with an 1100 (albeit fiddly). I'm wondering how it was possible - are the footpegs with the 1100 Sport different to the other variants, or perhaps the 2019 model different to the earlier ones? (or maybe they were non-stock footpegs).

Has anyone got any hints?
Many thanks

·
Registered
724 Posts
I use an abba stand with 800 fittings on mine and it works fine but with a bit of fidling. Do you also use the plates to angle the footpegs before you try to fit the cups? The plates will drop out but then I do manage to fit the cups deep enough on both sides. It doesn'tvtake much effort though and I use it all the time. I have the original footpegs with the rubber inserts taken out.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Here you see how I angle the footpeg with the plate fitted. When it's angled like that the cups will fit on both sides and when you pull the bike up the plates probably fall out but thats not a problem. Before letting the bike down again I angle the pegs with the plates again.Hope this helps.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for those photos, Skippy. Yes, I was using the plates to keep the pegs up, but no joy. I don't know if it will work, but here's a video (not easy holding the phone and the stand at the same time, so it's pretty shaky).

New video by Lee Smith

I tried without the rubber inserts too, which allowed me to get the cup in properly on the left, but the footpeg was wedged jam solid against the top bar of the stand, meaning the angle of the stand couldn't be manipulated to get the opposite side in. Also, chances are the stand would collapse when trying to lift and rotate it against the jammed peg.

Looking at your bottom picture, it seems your peg isn't as high as mine against the top bar. I wonder if the peg is shorter, or it raises at a different angle to mine.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Thanks for those photos, Skippy. Yes, I was using the plates to keep the pegs up, but no joy. I don't know if it will work, but here's a video (not easy holding the phone and the stand at the same time, so it's pretty shaky).

New video by Lee Smith

I tried without the rubber inserts too, which allowed me to get the cup in properly on the left, but the footpeg was wedged jam solid against the top bar of the stand, meaning the angle of the stand couldn't be manipulated to get the opposite side in. Also, chances are the stand would collapse when trying to lift and rotate it against the jammed peg.

Looking at your bottom picture, it seems your peg isn't as high as mine against the top bar. I wonder if the peg is shorter, or it raises at a different angle to mine.
At the bottem it looks like that because the bike is already pulled up on it's stand. When I start my pegs are jammed pretty much exactly in the corner of the Abbastand. I can insert the black part of the cup almost all the way into the hole of the footpeg bracket. I think you could do it to if you take the rubbers out. Just shove the left side as far in as you can(it's a bit in an angle) then do the right side and when you get that to fit flush you give the brass handdle a couple of turns so it's firmly locked. Then check if the left is still flush in there and you should be good. First try fitting the cups withoutcthe stand so you can get a feel for it. As I look at your video I'd say yiu should be able to do it.

·
Registered
724 Posts
When I say flush I mean the rear part of the black cup should be pretty much flush with the footpeg bracket hole. The front is going to stick out a bit.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've just received a message from Abba. They are sending me an extra spacer for the left hand side which replaces the standard fitting and gives extra clearance. They reckon this should resolve the problem. :)

·
Registered
724 Posts
I've just received a message from Abba. They are sending me an extra spacer for the left hand side which replaces the standard fitting and gives extra clearance. They reckon this should resolve the problem. :)
It would probably make it eassier. I had thought of that in the past to just put a coin underneath the left cup to bring it a couple of mm out but after a couple of times it was easy enough for me to just use the stand as is without any problems.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The spacer arrived this morning (full marks to Abba for their promptness). The left side fits perfectly now:

...unfortunately, the right side is now pretty tight:

Without the rubber footpeg insert, there's about 1mm play, which is fine, at least its not exerting pressure back against the peg bracket like it was before. (The tab to raise the peg won't insert fully and engage, but I don't see that as a problem here.)

What I don't like, is this:

Maybe that's not a problem, but I want to be sure its secure and not going to collapse on me. Without the new spacer, the black end cap sat slightly proud of the frame. The answer may be for me to get a new spacer machined, slightly shorter than the extension I just received.

·
Registered
724 Posts
The spacer arrived this morning (full marks to Abba for their promptness). The left side fits perfectly now:

View attachment 45177

...unfortunately, the right side is now pretty tight:

View attachment 45178

Without the rubber footpeg insert, there's about 1mm play, which is fine, at least its not exerting pressure back against the peg bracket like it was before. (The tab to raise the peg won't insert fully and engage, but I don't see that as a problem here.)

What I don't like, is this:

View attachment 45179

Maybe that's not a problem, but I want to be sure its secure and not going to collapse on me. Without the new spacer, the black end cap sat slightly proud of the frame. The answer may be for me to get a new spacer machined, slightly shorter than the extension I just received.
I don't understand why thete's so much difference between my situation and yours. This doesn't look good at all on the right side. I suspect the cup on the left side should still go a bit deeper in the hole in the footpeg plate. I haven't got anywhere near as many problems and I still have space left on the right side of the stand when it's screwed down. Maybe If I have time in the weekend I'll have a look and take some measurements.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The cup on both sides is fully and securely seated into the recesses. The Abba stand I have is about 15 years old, it's possible that the stand has been revised over the years - perhaps the supporting part of the frame is longer on the more recent ones?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
At the back, the black parts of the cups are about 0.5mm proud of the rear footpeg brackets.

The extension they sent is about 20mm longer than the original, so that could account for most of the difference at the bottom of the frame where yours extends beyond the right upright. From the centre of the pin to the end of the footpeg I have 108mm, and the width of the peg is 35mm just before it curves in at the tip.

·
Registered
724 Posts
At the back, the black parts of the cups are about 0.5mm proud of the rear footpeg brackets.
View attachment 45183

The extension they sent is about 20mm longer than the original, so that could account for most of the difference at the bottom of the frame where yours extends beyond the right upright. From the centre of the pin to the end of the footpeg I have 108mm, and the width of the peg is 35mm just before it curves in at the tip.
In this picture the cup is seated correctly. Just looked different in the other pictures I guess. If you could shorten the spacer a bit so that the right part of the Abba stand can slide further on the left part of the stand you will be fine.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have to say, Abba customer support have been very responsive and helpful on this. They have confirmed that the base of the stand has been made slightly longer over the years to accommodate longer fittings required for more modern bikes. They have come up with a couple of possible solutions for me.

Lord Farquaad, I'll let you know the outcome so you know what's needed if you decide to buy the fitting kit.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts