Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone started using their ABS system yet? Did you start with the rear brake to get a feel of the pedal?
I had a BMW GS 1200 and it saved my butt one rainy night. Lived in Missouri at the time. Had to really clamp down on both brakes to miss a tree that had fallen across the road. Live here in Tucson where there is a lot of sand on the roads and I guess I'll find a patch and start slowly with the rear brake then go to the front and see what happens.
Let you all know later.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Started using it...?

Not sure I follow what you mean. By all means test the feeling of it kicking in but you should aim to avoid that happening. If ABS kicks in, you've tried to brake too much. ABS is a last resort safety system, designed to try and help prevent you crashing. The best way to slow down is to never let the tyre lock up at all.

The ABS on the Scrambler is quite basic and not very subtle. It will prevent a lockup but it doesn't do a very good job of stopping you. You'll feel big pulses when it activates.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Started using it...?

Not sure I follow what you mean. By all means test the feeling of it kicking in but you should aim to avoid that happening. If ABS kicks in, you've tried to brake too much. ABS is a last resort safety system, designed to try and help prevent you crashing. The best way to slow down is to never let the tyre lock up at all.

The ABS on the Scrambler is quite basic and not very subtle. It will prevent a lockup but it doesn't do a very good job of stopping you. You'll feel big pulses when it activates.
The BMW worked really well. Sometimes you just have to really clamp down.

·
Registered
792 Posts
The BMW worked really well. Sometimes you just have to really clamp down.
It's quite easy to trigger the ABS, especially with the rear wheel but it's not something you want to happen, should be avoided. Unless you are just testing the feel of it...
It means you've braked too hard and lost grip, slowing down your actual stopping time.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Has anyone started using their ABS system yet? Did you start with the rear brake to get a feel of the pedal?
I had a BMW GS 1200 and it saved my butt one rainy night. Lived in Missouri at the time. Had to really clamp down on both brakes to miss a tree that had fallen across the road. Live here in Tucson where there is a lot of sand on the roads and I guess I'll find a patch and start slowly with the rear brake then go to the front and see what happens.
Let you all know later.
I first felt my ABS at my second motorcycle safety foundation advanced rider's course. Hard stop, 35-0, both brakes, clutch in, downshifting, check mirrors, evade traffic from behind if necessary. It was abrasive, much like ABS in my truck is abrasive.

Since then I've tested it at higher speeds including at the circuit rider's course. Now, the only time I feel it is if I get on the rear brake a little too much for the road condition (oil, water, etc).

I would never deliberately engage my front ABS on compromised road surface if I could help it. If you do, I hope you are wearing full PPE (since I know Arizona is a helmet free state!) and prepared to buy new pegs/ shifter/bar ends/mirrors.

From a former Tucson resident

1 - 6 of 6 Posts