Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before I start, which way tightens the chain (pulls the wheel back)? Turning nut 1) clockwise or counterclockwise?

Capture.PNG

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Yes. My pea brain has to stop and think every time: Counter clockwise lets the wheel fall back and takes the slack out of the chain, clockwise pushes the wheel forward and puts slack in the chain.

Sarah

·
Registered
481 Posts
Before I start, which way tightens the chain (pulls the wheel back)? Turning nut 1) clockwise or counterclockwise?

View attachment 35361
I'm also going to check mine since I just had new tires installed...not sure if installation of new tires (wheel having to come off) would change the chain tension?

Anyway, do you have proper tools to measure the distance or are you like me and just going to use a regular ruler?

You following manual to leave bike in kickstand or propping it up on wheel stand?

Curious to also know how much you had to turn the nuts to get the proper tension.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I put the bike on the kickstand and use a short piece of an old broken ruler. Go easy on the adjusters, a quarter turn makes a big difference.

Sarah

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I put the bike on the kickstand and use a short piece of an old broken ruler. Go easy on the adjusters, a quarter turn makes a big difference.

Sarah[/QUOTE
Hi Sara,

Sorry to hijack the thread but you've done a load of miles on your scrambler and I think it would be great if you could share your experiences with others, how many services, tyre choice, still running ok, what you've changed, are you still on your original clutch? I would love to know if my scrambler would still ride ok 30,000 miles in without much hassle.

Thanks in advance

Armo

·
Registered
481 Posts

Sarah
Do you also roll the bike to find the point at which the chain tension is highest? This part seems a bit ambiguous?

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Do you also roll the bike to find the point at which the chain tension is highest? This part seems a bit ambiguous?
I try to be in the habit to, but I admit I've skipped it more than once. Overall, I probably tend to run my chain more toward the loose end of the range.

Sarah

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Hey Armo,

My bike kicked over 27,000 miles this past weekend, has required nothing other than routine maintenance. Original clutch, as far as I can tell it's holding up fine. I have 10,000 miles on the NG Brake front rotor, so far so good on that, too. I reckon my favorite road tires are Avon Storms, the best riding tire I think I've experienced so far. For a recent trip with gravel in the forecast I chose the Avon Trailriders, running a rear tire on the front, mounted backward. That makes for a beefy front tire with deep tread. I'm a wuss on anything remotely offroad, so I was looking for a tire to offer some bite but still provide good mileage.

Sarah

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Hey Armo,

My bike kicked over 27,000 miles this past weekend, has required nothing other than routine maintenance. Original clutch, as far as I can tell it's holding up fine. I have 10,000 miles on the NG Brake front rotor, so far so good on that, too. I reckon my favorite road tires are Avon Storms, the best riding tire I think I've experienced so far. For a recent trip with gravel in the forecast I chose the Avon Trailriders, running a rear tire on the front, mounted backward. That makes for a beefy front tire with deep tread. I'm a wuss on anything remotely offroad, so I was looking for a tire to offer some bite but still provide good mileage.

Sarah
Hi Sarah
That's BRILLIANT thanks for the reply, we should post a new thread "good stories of the scrambler" as all we post about most of the time are issues either with clutches or dealer problems. Yours would be a great read for those who are concerned about reliability. A pic of your bike with chunky tyres would be great.
Cheers
Armo

1 - 14 of 14 Posts