Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Changing the air filter!
What a giant pain in the ass!!!!!!!
It’s time consuming enough, now I need to deal with stripped out nuts.
This happened on both of my Desert Sleds.
The Desert Sled is an on/off road motorcycle. The air filter should be easier to change.
I’m sweating Bullets hoping that I don’t drop one of over twenty bolts on the floor never to be seen again
086BF99E-D55F-47C2-BF02-15B981C1F873.jpeg

·
Registered
193 Posts
I feel your pain! I could not believe the pain in the arse this mess caused me when I changed my filter. No wonder they only specify it (stupidly) once every 2 years. What on earth were Ducati thinking?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Can you see a viable alternative? Wouldn't be too hard to 3D model a box to fit which is simpler and get it made up. I got mine serviced at a shop last time however I heard it was a real pain. Those shitty little placky bolts are a disgrace. Is it a big air filter once inside it?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Agreed, Getting to the air filter was a real pain and several of the nuts molded into the plastic stripped. Seems the thread locker they use is stronger than the nut in the plastic. Way too many screws to remove and the fit of the factory air filter in the box was very poor. Hopefully Ducati will address this in the future. I really enjoy the my 2016 Icon though. I have upgraded the suspension to full Ohlins front and back and got rid of the shite factory bash plate (one hit and it is toast). The image below has the factory bash plate. If you look close you can see the metal zip ties I had to put on it as the factory mounts busted on one hit on a dirt rut. I put a Touratech bash plate on it and works awesome. So far with several rock encounters and the plate worked awesome. Well worth the as the factory plate is a one hit wonder. The factory bash plate also does not protect the oil lines (found out the hard way as a branch wedged between the ground and an oil line and my ride for the day was over...)

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Agree with all above. Ducati makes street bikes and has no appreciation of off-road maintenance.
The've been making adventure tourers for 10 years or so and there's plenty of other off-road bikes to copy. It's not exactly rocket science.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Had a look yesterday is tight under there. One tip, get rid of that brick of a battery and swap it for those mighty mouse 240 cranking amp 1/3 the size and feather weight batteries. Piss off the usb under the seat (useless) and put a waterproof one on the bars. Getting closer to a proper ADV bit by bit (Desert Sled).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts