Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I have an issue with my Scrambler Icon, I have too much air going into the engine.
I would like to know if it is normal to have a gap between the engine and the plastic air pipe.
If you can post a picture of yours, it would be great to compare (didn't find any picture of this part online).

Find below a picture of my bike.

Thanks a lot.

IMG_20180923_141231_01.jpg

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
The thing is that yesterday I went to a garage to do the inspection. They didn't want to give it because the throttle blocks sometimes (which is fair because it is kind of dangerous). So I had them inspect it. After 2 hours, they told me I have too much air going into the engine so it runs lean and the engine is super dirty. The issue is still not fixed after cleaning it (have to go back on Tuesday). They said it is because of the new air filter. I'm sure it is not because I've changed it 1.5 month ago and the throttle was blocking before.
Last year I removed the sliders, by doing so the motor felt like half an inch. I put everything back but the idle was at like 2200. I brought the motorcycle to a garage and apparently they fixed everything but according to what the other garage told me yesterday it is not the case.
I'm trying to figure out from where the extra air could enter from but my only clue was the pipe above.

·
Registered
151 Posts
What specific air filter did you fit?

Can you clarify what you mean when you say "throttle was blocking"?
What do you mean when you say you "removed the sliders" and that after doing so the "motor felt like half an inch"? Just want to clarify the terminology.

Is it backfiring more than before these changes were made? (a little is normal)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
What specific air filter did you fit?
this air filter: Amazon.com: K&N DU-8015 Replacement Air Filter: Automotive
Can you clarify what you mean when you say "throttle was blocking"?
when the engine is not running, if you go full throttle and release it by opening your hand, then you have to force to throttle up again. Never felt that while riding it. The garage told me, it is because of the dirty engine, they have cleaned most of it and it didn't change anything. Moreover the throttle was blocking before changing the air filter.
What do you mean when you say you "removed the sliders" and that after doing so the "motor felt like half an inch"? Just want to clarify the terminology.
I took off the sliders on the side, but I didn't know it was holding the engine, so the engine fell like half an inch, 1cm. The engine sound was very different so I put everything back in place but the idle was super high, like around 2200. A garage fixed it the next day, saying too much air was going into the engine.
Is it backfiring more than before these changes were made? (a little is normal)
I've changed the exhaust last year, the bike always backfires a lot, I didn't feel any difference at all after changing the air filter.

thanks for your help, I appreciate.

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
Throttle blocking: fix that first! Remove the grip, see if it rolls smoothly. Could be gunk built up, could be bent bars...

I took off the sliders on the side, but I didn't know it was holding the engine, so the engine fell like half an inch, 1cm.
You saying the front of the engine dropped like half an inch when you removed the slider? If that happened I wouldn't be surprised if the lower side of the airbox, or the lower end of the air filter popped off the throttle body leaving a gap through which extra (unfiltered) air can get into the "clean" side of the air filter.

That's where I would look....

·
Registered
151 Posts
That's helpful! I have another line of blunt questions for you if you can...

1) Is the following correct?:
-You changed the air filter and no performance issues were observed.
-You changed the exhaust and no performance issues were observed.
-You removed the "sliders" (post a pic of these if you can), the engine physically shifted. High idle was observed after this change. You attempted to correct the change and the high idle was still observed.
Is that right?

2) "Blocking" You are saying the throttle tube itself needs to be manually forced to open and close?
-You said "when the engine is not running". Please tell me it's the same, engine on or off.

3) If the answer is "yes" to everything above, here is my guess: The engine shifted and yanked the throttle cable in such a way that it damaged or caused something to stick in a) the throttle body or b) the throttle cam/tube area.

Have a look at and take pictures of:
- The cable routing from the throttle body to the throttle cam
- The inside of the throttle cam and tube
- The throttle tube...could be physically sticking.

I'm betting that the throttle tube's resting position is not all the way closed (as opposed to running lean or your engine "being dirty")

·
Registered
284 Posts
I've been running the K&N air filter for 4500mi... no problem. Too much air? Nonsense.

Sounds like the throttle doesn't snap back to idle stop: my guess, cable binding. If dirt caused this my Icon would be doing it. I hardly ever clean the thing.

Engine slipped 1 cm. I'd check cables, wire connectors to make sure nothing is loose or binding.

Backfiring: probably needs ECU map to match the changed exhaust.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Throttle blocking: fix that first! Remove the grip, see if it rolls smoothly. Could be gunk built up, could be bent bars...
according to the garage, it is not the cable nor the handle, it is inside the engine
You saying the front of the engine dropped like half an inch when you removed the slider?
Exactly
If that happened I wouldn't be surprised if the lower side of the airbox, or the lower end of the air filter popped off the throttle body leaving a gap through which extra (unfiltered) air can get into the "clean" side of the air filter.
ok ill tell them to look at that which makes sense for all the issue.
-You changed the air filter and no performance issues were observed.
Yes
-You changed the exhaust and no performance issues were observed.
just a way nicer sound, I've put this exhaust: Leo Vince GP exhaust
-You removed the "sliders" (post a pic of these if you can), the engine physically shifted. High idle was observed after this change. You attempted to correct the change and the high idle was still observed.
yes but I went to a garage and they fix the high idle issue by letting less air going into the engine (not sure how they did it but it was just a setting somewhere)
"Blocking" You are saying the throttle tube itself needs to be manually forced to open and close?
just to open. Basically, when you fully open the the throttle tube and release it by opening your hand, it is hard to throttler up again.
-You said "when the engine is not running". Please tell me it's the same, engine on or off.
haven't tried to do it with the engine running, with normal riding, it never blocks.
Have a look at and take pictures of:
I'll send you a picture when I get home

I've been running the K&N air filter for 4500mi... no problem. Too much air? Nonsense.
thanks for this info, it is super helpful
Engine slipped 1 cm. I'd check cables, wire connectors to make sure nothing is loose or binding.
okok
Backfiring: probably needs ECU map to match the changed exhaust.
the guy who gave it to me has the same and does not seam to have issues..

I'll keep you posted when I have news. Hope this issue will be fix soon so I can enjoy the bike before the snow!

·
Registered
151 Posts
I hope you aren't bringing it back to the guys that diagnosed it as "dirty". That is the biggest crock of shit I've heard in some time. Best part is that they cleaned it and didn't fix anything...and charged money for it. Where are you located?

If you can, a lot of this stuff the forum has asked can be sorted out DIY. At least snap some good pictures of the cable routing and post them so we can try to help.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I hope you aren't bringing it back to the guys that diagnosed it as "dirty". That is the biggest crock of shit I've heard in some time. Best part is that they cleaned it and didn't fix anything...and charged money for it. Where are you located?
I will bring it back to the same shop as I have a 30 days warranty but no way I'll pay anything else, I've already paid them 300 dols. They are located in Brooklyn.
If you can, a lot of this stuff the forum has asked can be sorted out DIY. At least snap some good pictures of the cable routing and post them so we can try to help
I'm gonna do that tonight for sure!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've tried to take pictures of the part around the engine. There is a pipe that seems a bit off.
Do you see anything strange?

IMG_20180924_190507.jpg
IMG_20180924_190554.jpg
IMG_20180924_191325.jpg
IMG_20180924_191526.jpg
IMG_20180924_191539.jpg
IMG_20180924_191609.jpg
IMG_20180924_191623.jpg

·
Registered
151 Posts
I don't see anything of note in those pictures.

Again, was looking for pictures of
1) throttle tube/cam area and cable routing out of there
2) inside the throttle body.

- How far does the throttle turn exactly?
- Remove these screws circled below in "picture A" and take a picture/post it here.
- With this plate off, can you see if the throttle cam "picture b" rests against the housing when the throttle is closed all the way? It should physically stop against the metal housing.
- Inspect the white plastic throttle tube and cam for any damage.

A)
upload_2018-9-26_7-7-59.png

B)
upload_2018-9-26_7-16-15.png

1 - 16 of 16 Posts