Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went out on my bike today and the weather was quite warm. The bike said it was 22deg.C. The exhaust was popping like mad all the time on the overrun. Is this a sign of a rich or lean mixture?

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Could be totally normal. My 800 pops and garbles like mad (stock 800 engine, stock Termi, removed baffles). Popping is often a sign of running lean, but only on the overrun, it tells you nothing about how the bike runs in any other situation, steady speed, accellerating, etc.

You still have the cat? Stock ECU?

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No cat. Full Akra’s, stock filter, stock ecu.
I always assumed that popping in the exhaust was unburned fuel.
The bike runs well and pulls very strong through to the red line.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Popping is indeed unburnt mixture because it was too lean to burn in the engine. And I don't know the 1100 too well, but if it has an air injection system like the 800 has, the exhaust gasses are leaned off extra.

If you still have the lambada sensors installed I wouldn't worry much about it (they should take care the engine runs within range), although odds are it WILL run better with a proper reflash...

·
Registered
797 Posts
I think the Scrambler 1100 was designed to pop and crackke like mad all the time as it does it in stock form as well. It's also said(can't confirm this)to be the first Ducati with an tuned exhaust and ignition for sound(probably the input from the VAG as they also pull these tricks with there sport/super cars with the Lambo's even breathing fire to enhance the experience). I also heard another forum member saying that the ecu is dumping some fuel on the overrun, wich has basicly no function except from enhencing popping, and this kinda supports this statement.
So basicly I think your fine but if you realy worry, looking at the sparkplugs could give you some better info on the running condition.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Don’t get me wrong I’m not worried, or suffering performance problems. I just thought I’d put it out there for some rational discussion.
Maybe someone could talk me into a reflash or something when I’ve got nothing else to spend my money on.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Read the plugs. More than likely lean like most all stock tunes, and the mods run it even thinner. Mine runs stupid lean, personally I really dislike the all popping, still waiting for the Rexxer for weeks, annoying

·
Registered
64 Posts
Just one way to know for sure, true old school reading of the burn I can't plug into a laptop or anything, so looking forward to seeing some nice tan porcelain instead of white!

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Nope.

A spark plug doesn't tell you it's running too lean on decell, but too rich on accelleration below x rpms (or the other way around). Only a decent dyno operator with a wideband o2 sensor can tell you that...

·
Registered
64 Posts
Nope.

A spark plug doesn't tell you it's running too lean on decell, but too rich on accelleration below x rpms (or the other way around). Only a decent dyno operator with a wideband o2 sensor can tell you that...
True. I'm not only concerned about the decell (so maybe my comment out of place), I'm curious to see how it's burning at cruise, WOT, across the band, a dyno tuned map vs stock. The only way I know how to measure with no Dyno, besides my heat gun, is reading the plugs. Assuming whoever writes the file does a good job, the mix should be better across the RPM band, and will also pop less on closed throttle engine break. Also dealers and tuners have told me the aftermarket map cleans up alot of the popping, however not ALL... What I'm curious about is the suggestion that Ducati writes something into the ECU (fuel droplets, whatever) to produce some of the sounds. I have no idea if that's for real or not. Seems odd, but these days alot of thing sound odd to me.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Well actually, how the engine runs is also a very good indicator. Swift accelleration, throttle reaction, steady speeds, any surging...

·
Registered
64 Posts
Well actually, how the engine runs is also a very good indicator. Swift accelleration, throttle reaction, steady speeds, any surging...
Again true. And my bike runs surprisingly well considering the stock tune with mods, they've done a great job, no surging, or laziness, very liner acceleration, all that. I just know it can be better, and I hate the lean popping and all the heat. As long as the map not flawed, only performance to gain, and heat to be reduced. Good stuff in my opinion... Maybe not for everyone.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Is it even possible to reduce the heat of a hot engine to the point you'd actually notice?
The engine will definitely be running cooler, whether you as the rider can notice, people say so, but I cant say from personal experience on this bike. But as soon as I get the tuner I'll flash it and post an update.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I have the 800 and they do pump out some heat. Like any similar bike I guess, I only really start to feel the burn in heavy traffic. :)

·
Registered
209 Posts
Popping and crackling with Akra exhaust? I certainly hope so!

·
Registered
797 Posts
Popping and crackling with Akra exhaust? I certainly hope so!
Well lately the road legal Akra's are quiter then stock in more then one occasion(KTM, Indian FTR etc.). They really are making a point of this so I suspect that they are under some kind of scrutiny.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Of course they are, else they can close shop (in Europe).
Yes but other brands like Arrow and Zard don't seem to care to much even though they have to follow the same rules.
If Europe has it's way they should start looking into other ways to make money as all cars should be electric in 2029...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts