Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found this excellent instruction video wich explains how to remove the db kilkers the best and easiest way in the Akrapovic system.
The video is of the exhaust on the new Indian FTR 1200 but using the same steps to find the postion on the Ducati Akra's you can't go wrong.
On the Ducati pipes the new holes should be drilled at the 4(left side) and 8 o'clock(right side position) but please check using a wire like in the video.
1874e5d12da37865cc74cd02eb5a0d63.jpg

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Oh this is funny.

This has been discussed on the Indian forums for a while, and I recalled a post on this Scrambler forum where someone wanted the remove the baffles from his 1100 Akras. So I mentioned drilling an extra hole to get to that screw (because the end cap is clocked). On the FTR facebook group this has become known as the "Max Mod".

And now we're posting this here. :)

And yes, check before you drill.

PS, the rubber grommets you need go by the type GUV004

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh this is funny.

This has been discussed on the Indian forums for a while, and I recalled a post on this Scrambler forum where someone wanted the remove the baffles from his 1100 Akras. So I mentioned drilling an extra hole to get to that screw (because the end cap is clocked). On the FTR facebook group this has become known as the "Max Mod".

And now we're posting this here. :)

And yes, check before you drill.

PS, the rubber grommets you need go by the type GUV004
Yes the whole mod was already figured out a long time a go over here but was burried deep in the Termignoni thread wich made it hard to find. When I found this video on the ftr1200 forum(where you did the mod and explained it first) I thought it was time to make a seperate and easy to find thread along with this very good instruction video.

Love your Indian btw!

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Have you got you’re Akra’s yet Skippy. Not been checking the forum been in hospital just got out.
No nothing yet and frankly I think it is never happening. Don't see how the dealer is going to call after 8 months,without letting anything know before, that it is all fixed and ready.
And personally I'm over the whole thing, just enjoying my bike as is and looking forward to a trip to Germany and Luxemburg in a couple of weeks.

I was wondering where you've been not seeing any posts. I hope your well and get to ride and tinker with your bike soon.

·
Registered
898 Posts
My bike is stood in the garage with everything done that I can think of at the moment.
Probably won’t be able to ride for another 6-12 weeks. Won’t go on about my health but to give you an idea just had “major surgery” to re plumb the arteries from my aorta to both my legs as the old ones were blocked. You may see me replying to a lot more posts as I’ve got nothing to do at the moment.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My bike is stood in the garage with everything done that I can think of at the moment.
Probably won’t be able to ride for another 6-12 weeks. Won’t go on about my health but to give you an idea just had “major surgery” to re plumb the arteries from my aorta to both my legs as the old ones were blocked. You may see me replying to a lot more posts as I’ve got nothing to do at the moment.
Well I hope that everything goes well and you'll be enjoying your bike again at the end of august.

·
Registered
792 Posts
And I thought getting the baffles out the 800 Akra exhaust was a bit of a faff...

Took ages trying to fish the stainless bolts out of the shroud with a magnet!

·
Registered
898 Posts
Sorry not trying to be a know it all but, a magnet will not attract or stick to stainless. That’s how you can determine if a piece of metal or bolt is stainless, try to pick it up with a magnet.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Sorry not trying to be a know it all but, a magnet will not attract or stick to stainless. That’s how you can determine if a piece of metal or bolt is stainless, try to pick it up with a magnet.
I'm not sure about that. Feel free to correct me but my understanding is that most nuts/bolts/fasteners made from stainless will end up being magnetic due to the manufacturing process. Stainless steel itself isn't but will be by the time it's a bolt... It's been a long time since engineering classes at school though! but I'm sure it's got a lot to do with the structure of the steel, which is affected by being bent/stretched etc...

The encyclopedia of Dad informed me while I was fishing around for the bolt that barely stuck to the magnet... that it's usually 'better made' bolts that resist corrosion more that are less magnetic. Being an Akra supplied bolt, made sense as it's weathered much better than any of the standard Ducati exhaust related bolts did.

Bit of Google-fu to check his Dad facts, tells me that isn't strictly true but broadly kind of-sorta almost right. Lots of grades, some magnetic, some not, some very corrosion resistant, some not so much. It's common for the highly corrosion resistant grades to be less magnetic. So I'll give him that one. He does actually work for a Steel Company, so would have enjoyed him being wrong haha

·
Registered
792 Posts
Take the exhaust off you bike, and hold it upside down to get the shrapnel out through the grommet hole...
Easier said than done if the person fitting the exhaust didn't put any paste between headers & the back section. You're right though, would have likely been the easier option!!
I try to avoid removing anything from the bike when I don't have to though. I'm one of those people that has issues with stuff never quite going back the way it came off...

Long magnet, tiny screwdriver and some patience... (maybe a little swearing too) Glad I didn't have to drill anything though!!

Wish Akra would take the lead from Arrow. Baffle on my last arrow exhaust just needed a pair of pliers to remove a spring clip and a good tug to free it. Wayyyy better.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Here is my Scrambler 1100 together with my wifes Icon 800. I have installed tailtidy from R&G, and Bar end mirrors from CRG, Are also looking into replacing the grey sidepanels with Carbon and maybe change the turnsignals.
How do you rate the suspension on the sport? I am thinking of installing Ohlins on my standard 1100.
Thanks

1 - 20 of 31 Posts