Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how to remove the baffles on this model WITHOUT drilling holes into the unit? The side hex bolt seems to be a 4mm, but it won't budge and I don't want to damage anything.
Thanks.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
You either have to drill the rivets from the end cap out (which is a real pain to put/rivet back together).

Or drill a hole where the set screw is, and buy two Akra rubbers online to plug the hole afterwards.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You either have to drill the rivets from the end cap out (which is a real pain to put/rivet back together).

Or drill a hole where the set screw is, and buy two Akra rubbers online to plug the hole afterwards.
Ah, thank you very much for the info. I thought it would be more easily adaptable. Drilling holes is not my preferred go to method. I suppose I’ll leave them as they are. Thank you again.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm having the same problem. When i bought the exhaust i was able to remove the baffles by just removing the little bolt. It was too loud so i ran it with baffles for 3 years, now i wanted to try to remove them but after removing the bolt they won't budge. I'm going to try some other methods like heating up the exhaust (hopefully it expands) and using locking pliers to pull. I'm weary of drilling out the rivets so i may take it to a machine shop to see if they can pop it off if the heating doesn't work.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, I took them apart and separated them and IN FACT the 4mm hex screw comes out easily! No need to drill any holes. For future reference of anybody reading this: use a 4mm hex and don't let the inner bolt fall into the unit. It's a pain the ass to fish it out. Baffles pull out easily with pliers, it they do not do so then open the unit from the back and push/budge them out with a rubber ended stick or a mallet. Good luck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Pic of the hole where the 4mm was behind please?

What did you take apart?
Take the rubber thing out. It pulls out easily. In the hole you will find a 4mm hex. The best way to open it is not when the exhaust is mounted on the bike, but when it's disassembled. Again, this is for my specific exhaust (pictured) and don't let the hex screw fall into the exhaust. Also, it's really loud without the baffles, almost annoying Harley guy loud.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
You have one of the rare Akras that still have the set screw behind the rubber plug. You didn't take them apart, you simply took the screw out.

The Euro 4 Akras sold by Ducati (and other brands as well) have the end caps clocked one or two rivet holes. And that's when you either need to drill an extra hole, or drill the rivets out and take the end cap completely off to get to the set screw.

You had it easy. You could have told us there was a plug :p

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You have one of the rare Akras that still have the set screw behind the rubber plug. You didn't take them apart, you simply took the screw out.

The Euro 4 Akras sold by Ducati (and other brands as well) have the end caps clocked one or two rivet holes. And that's when you either need to drill an extra hole, or drill the rivets out and take the end cap completely off to get to the set screw.

You had it easy. You could have told us there was a plug :p

I thought my exhaust was the norm. I guess I have the exception.

Good luck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Leave them in, it sounds fine that way.
I tested them with and without. It’s easier on my neighbours with and it still sounds lovely. Also mechanic told me I would have to recalibrate the chip for without the baffle it can burn more lean.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts