Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

Thanks for all your posts. I've been lurking for a while and just got my 1100 Sport a few weeks ago. Love the bike!

Yesterday I fitted an Evotech tail tidy and tried to fit my Akrapovic slip-ons.

For those of you with these Akra slip ons; how tight of a fit were they on the stock mid pipe? I had a heck of a time trying to fit mine. The pipe diameter on the mid pipe is almost the same as the pipe diameter on the slip-on. So I'm really only able to rock it on sideways about 1/8" at an angle by hand and that's it. I tried some WD40, as well as some anti seize at the recommendation of Revzilla (online shop I bought them from), both with no luck, I took my heat gun to the left slip on and was able to get that on, but had to use a ton of force on the end cap with a rubber mallet. The cap is slightly bent at the db killer. The right slip-on really got over on me, and I ended up damaging/bending the end cap and it's still not on the bike.

I hope Akra or somebody sells new end caps.

Did anyone else have any issue like this with fitment? I've had many slip-ons in the past, none from Akra, but have never had issues like this getting them on.

I'm not sure what to do. I need new end caps, but that's still not going to solve my issues of not being able to get it on. I've emailed Akra to see if they have any suggestions. If any of you have any tricks I'd love to hear them.

Thanks!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Personally I didn’t have any issues when installing the slip ones with the stock mid pipe, but I know someone else here had a similar experience to what you are describing. I since replaced the stock mid pipe with the akra one, and for me, the hardest part was getting a good seal between the mid pipe, and the rest of the stock exhaust (was too loose, had to clamp down hard using stock clamp).

Sorry to hear about your issues, hopefully you get it worked out

Current:’18 xDiavel S, ‘18 1100 Sport
Sold: 16 Scrambler Icon, ‘15 Monster 1200, ‘14 Diavel Strada, ‘12 Monster 1100evo, ‘09 Monster 1100, ‘08 NM Hypermotard #7

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. Hopefully the person that had similar issues with read this and reply. I searched through the forums but didn't find anything like the issues I'm having.

How do you like that mid pipe? Did you do a tune? Or just the servo plug-in thing?

·
Registered
97 Posts
I wanted the old school sound of my ‘09 Monster 1100. Between the slip one, mid pipe, and figuring out how to remove the baffles, I found the right combination.

I am not running any tune, since when last I checked the only option required mailing your ecu for reflash. I simply run the servo plug unit to avoid getting error codes. I’ve had no issues with running without a tune. From what I can tell, the factory tune is a bit more forgiving in that sense.

Hope that helps, enjoy!

Current:’18 xDiavel S, ‘18 1100 Sport
Sold: 16 Scrambler Icon, ‘15 Monster 1200, ‘14 Diavel Strada, ‘12 Monster 1100evo, ‘09 Monster 1100, ‘08 NM Hypermotard #7

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hi Guys,
<snip>
. The pipe diameter on the mid pipe is almost the same as the pipe diameter on the slip-on. So I'm really only able to rock it on sideways about 1/8" at an angle by hand and that's it. I tried some WD40, as well as some anti seize at the recommendation of Revzilla (online shop I bought them from), both with no luck, I took my heat gun to the left slip on and was able to get that on, but had to use a ton of force on the end cap with a rubber mallet. The cap is slightly bent at the db killer. The right slip-on really got over on me, and I ended up damaging/bending the end cap and it's still not on the bike.
I'm not sure what to do. I need new end caps, but that's still not going to solve my issues of not being able to get it on. I've emailed Akra to see if they have any suggestions. If any of you have any tricks I'd love to hear them.

Thanks!
Try a tail pipe expander or spreader. They are pretty simple devices - a series of steel wedges formed into a cylinder, with both end topped by steel top cones, pulled together with a threaded rod. As the cones move inward, the wedges are forced outward. Buy one (or a set) that fits inside the tube you want to expand and even a cheap ($20ish) one will make the room you need for the new mid pipe. (If it doesn't you might need to heat the pipe.)

·
Registered
907 Posts
I had trouble with mine and ended up knocking them on with a heavy hammer and a piece of wood. The bigger problem was getting them off to replace the mid pipe as I didn’t put any anti seize on the joints. I ended up knocking them off with a lump hammer.
Now I’ve replaced the mid pipe they just slide on and off easily. Oh and I’ve remembered the ceramic anti seize compound

·
Registered
838 Posts
Sorry to hear you are having problems fiiting the end cans and that one got damaged in the process. Things like that will drive a person crazy.
Fitted mine a week ago and had no trouble at all, could just fit them by hand. I did put ceramic grease on the in and outside of the Akrapovic tube where it slides in the stock y piece. I put the heatshields on after I fitted the pipes(might help in the range of motion). The stock y piece connects to the Akra's with a dual walled connection like in the picture(not 1100 pipe but just as an example), so on part slides into the Akra pipe and the wider part slides over the Akra pipe and no hammers should be used just a bit of twisting. If you measure the stock end can pipe and the Akra pipe is there any difference? If not maybe the outer sleave on the Y peace got damaged preventing it from sliding in.
My endcans got damaged by the dealer when they where figuring out how to get the db killers out. They did manage to get a new end cap and inner piece but it took at least 6 months... It's also pretty difficult to get the end cap out(not just simply a case of taking out the rivets)when I look at my replaced parts they look to be cut and they had to have it welded back together. Only good thing is that I now only have the one hole to take out the db killers.

I hope you get your problem solved. Did you pay with a creditcard, if so maybe you can claim your damage to the endcans with them. Maybe you can load up a picture of the damage, maybe somehow it's possible to pull out the dent like they do on cars or somebody else might have some idea.
s-l300.jpg

·
Registered
838 Posts
Try a tail pipe expander or spreader. They are pretty simple devices - a series of steel wedges formed into a cylinder, with both end topped by steel top cones, pulled together with a threaded rod. As the cones move inward, the wedges are forced outward. Buy one (or a set) that fits inside the tube you want to expand and even a cheap ($20ish) one will make the room you need for the new mid pipe. (If it doesn't you might need to heat the pipe.)
I think that this could be pretty difficult as both the in and outside diameter should be just right with the connection Ducati uses on the y piece.

·
Registered
838 Posts
This is what the end cap looks like when its removed. You can see the cutting marks. Underneath is the other inner piece of the exhaust where the db killer is also connected to by a bolt. The endcap is pressed between the outer sleave of the exhaust and the inner piece. If you are planning on getting them apart I suggest you find an experienced exhaust shop. Hope this info can help you in some way.
20200105_225532.jpg
20200105_225451.jpg
20200105_225500.jpg

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys! I really appreciate the input. As Skippy said; it's maddening. You spend all this money and get excited about making some modifications to your bike only to have end with damaged parts and frustration.

Also - Skippy - thank you for all of the photos. Very helpful! I thought removing the rivets and replacing the end caps was a simple job. It looks like a bigger project seeing those images.

I had trouble with mine and ended up knocking them on with a heavy hammer and a piece of wood. The bigger problem was getting them off to replace the mid pipe as I didn’t put any anti seize on the joints. I ended up knocking them off with a lump hammer.
Now I’ve replaced the mid pipe they just slide on and off easily. Oh and I’ve remembered the ceramic anti seize compound
I did the same thing (hammer & piece of wood) and that's what damaged my end caps. The db killer didn't budge when I struck the piece of wood I was holding against it, but the end collapsed around it. The db killer left a ring mark in the wood.

So far I've got an email in to Akra, and spoke with Revzilla.com (online shop in the US I bought slip-ons from). Revzilla has been helpful so far. The guy I spoke with said he'll contact their local Akra rep and inquire about new ends caps as well as bring him up to speed on the issues I'm having. He also suggested I check with my Ducati dealer just to see if they know of any spec changes to the 2020 model bikes. He said maybe the pipe spec changed or something.

Are any of you guys with Akra's on a 2020 bike?

Honestly, I don't have high hopes of a great outcome. But we'll see. In the end, I know I damaged these pipes. So I'm prepared to shell out some more cash is needed. I'll keep you guys posted.

I did get my Evotech tail tidy installed. I had an issue there, but I'll start a fresh thread for it.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I can't wait for new exhaust from Ducati... anorher producer that is gong to put on sale a Low Faust is Mass from sicily..

·
Registered
838 Posts
Thanks guys! I really appreciate the input. As Skippy said; it's maddening. You spend all this money and get excited about making some modifications to your bike only to have end with damaged parts and frustration.

Also - Skippy - thank you for all of the photos. Very helpful! I thought removing the rivets and replacing the end caps was a simple job. It looks like a bigger project seeing those images.

I did the same thing (hammer & piece of wood) and that's what damaged my end caps. The db killer didn't budge when I struck the piece of wood I was holding against it, but the end collapsed around it. The db killer left a ring mark in the wood.

So far I've got an email in to Akra, and spoke with Revzilla.com (online shop in the US I bought slip-ons from). Revzilla has been helpful so far. The guy I spoke with said he'll contact their local Akra rep and inquire about new ends caps as well as bring him up to speed on the issues I'm having. He also suggested I check with my Ducati dealer just to see if they know of any spec changes to the 2020 model bikes. He said maybe the pipe spec changed or something.

Are any of you guys with Akra's on a 2020 bike?

Honestly, I don't have high hopes of a great outcome. But we'll see. In the end, I know I damaged these pipes. So I'm prepared to shell out some more cash is needed. I'll keep you guys posted.

I did get my Evotech tail tidy installed. I had an issue there, but I'll start a fresh thread for it.
We probably all been there. Bolts snapping of on your brand new bike, parts not fitting and other fun things like that...
Here's instruction on removing the db killer and even with the bolts removed it takes some effort as I found out on mine.
Here's my story. My exhausts where cut open and welded back together again so you could remove the db killer without making an extra hole. I probably would have gone fir the extra hole if I knew then what I know now ?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts