Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone out there fitted an Akraprovic system to their Scrambler. I am looking to fit the slip on silencers to my Full Throttle. Will this require a remap or not? Any help much appreciated.

Merlin

·
Registered
292 Posts
I put the catless Akrapovic slipon on my Icon about a month ago. It is a *wonderful* exhaust.

I weighed the stock exhaust that I removed and the Akra itself, and it is almost exactly the weight savings that they say it is.

As far as a remap goes... You don't *need* one, but the bike is much better with one. Much better. I rode mine without a remap a few times (because the Rexxer Evo unit that I had ordered hadn't shown up yet) and it ran just fine. I did notice a "dead spot" where the torque curve had dropped off a bit in the midrange, but it wasn't a huge deal. However.... once I got the Rexxer tune installed, along with a BMC "street" air filter, it's like a different bike. It rides SO well now, with a good noticeable power increase, and a nice smooth torque curve and power delivery all the way through the rev range.

I run mine with the baffles in, because frankly I think it would just be obnoxiously loud with them out. David at Rexxer USA says that it does make a noticeable tuning difference to take them out though, so if you're after ultimate power or whatever you might want to. As it is, I think it is plenty loud with them in and sounds totally awesome.

IMO this is how the bike should have been from the factory, and there's a reason Ducati is switching to Akrapovic instead of Termi for their optional exhaust systems. The entire thing just oozes build quality. It actually has me thinking about eventually putting the full titanium Akra headers on it as well...

·
Registered
292 Posts
Hahaha...

I was just about to re-post that very picture. I have some video (with crappy phone audio) of a before / after also, but it's sideways and I need to find a way to fix it before I post it.

Also:

It is worth mentioning for anyone else considering this exhaust that the clearance between the lower can and the swingarm is reaaaaaaallllly tight when the bike is on the sidestand. Like a millimeter or two. It's better when the bike is weighted, but I am considering bending the mounting bracket for the exhaust a little bit so the cans will have a tiny bit more clearance. It hasn't caused an issue or anything, but there's no room in there at all.

But it is a very well built, very light, very nice exhaust and I'm super pleased with it.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I've just ordered the catless system, supposed to get here 9/6. I'll update with pictures and videos.

I'm also going the tuneboy route since that's what my local tuner uses. I can get the cable, tune license and tuning software for $200. Worth it since it has some other functionality similar to the $500 rexxer system.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Nice! It's cool to see someone else with this exhaust fitted.

Tell me though - how close is your lower can to your swingarm when the bike is on the sidestand? Mine is *really* close - like a milimeter or two. It clears, but only baaaaaaaaaaarely.

You're right, though, these things are SO well made.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Nice! It's cool to see someone else with this exhaust fitted.

Tell me though - how close is your lower can to your swingarm when the bike is on the sidestand? Mine is *really* close - like a milimeter or two. It clears, but only baaaaaaaaaaarely.

You're right, though, these things are SO well made.
I would say I have about 1cm. Have you tried loosening up the mounting bolts and re-positioning?

·
Registered
292 Posts
I haven't. It was *really* tight to get mine mounted at all, actually. I had to put a fair amount of force on the cans to get the mounting holes to line up to get the bolts in to the rear support.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I haven't. It was *really* tight to get mine mounted at all, actually. I had to put a fair amount of force on the cans to get the mounting holes to line up to get the bolts in to the rear support.
Interesting. Mine was very loose and had lots of movement to line it all up.

Try loosening up the further forward section of the exhaust (where the headers go 2->1) and aligning the muffler first. Then tighten that section up after.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts