Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Something interesting happened the other day that I felt worth mentioning. I almost never will put my foot over a bike unless I am wearing some decent heavy riding boots and my Scrambler is no exception. Last week I decided to hop on and run a quick errand close to home and didn't throw on my regular riding boots.

It felt like I was riding a completely different bike shifting wise. The tennis shoes I was wearing definitely were not conducive to comfortable shifting on the bike at all and I could see were incomplete and false neutrals were a possibility where before I always wondered why so many people would report them.

So my advice to those that are having the problem. Switch to a heavy riding boot if you wear other foot wear when on the Scrambler. I know just that in itself was night and day to me.

·
Registered
214 Posts
It is especially sensible to wear heavy boots if venturing off Tarmac. I always wear boots but my old Frank Thomas Aquaboots did not save me from a nasty friction burn when I dropped it at low speed on a lane I know well but which had deteriorated, hence I am still unable to ride.
It is even more galling that I had left my new Sidi motocross boots at home, not expecting a fall, but isn't it always so? My foot should be healed just in time for the rain to arrive -------!

·
Registered
560 Posts
Hello

Of course, we should never ride a bike without bikes boots. Just imagine what may happen if, only, your bike falls down on your foot, with light shoes...

Your experience also tells us that the height of the gear shift lever is really sensible for a good gear shift. As it has allready been told many times, those who experience false neutral may consider setting up this lever height, rather than saying the Scrambler gearbox is bad. The Scrambler gearbox is, as many other Ducatis gearboxes, excellent, but when the gear shift lever is correctly set up.

·
Registered
199 Posts
So my advice to those that are having the problem. Switch to a heavy riding boot if you wear other foot wear when on the Scrambler. I know just that in itself was night and day to me.
I disagree with this, the type of footwear you have has no effect over how the gearbox functions.

It's how your foot interacts with the shift lever that effects the effectiveness of your gear changes.

For example, I wear a pair of Merlin G24 Enduro boots 95% of the time I ride the bike.
Because the leather is nice and thick, and the boot is reasonably chunky, I had to adjust my shifter in order to allow my foot to hook under the lever comfortably while the boots were new. As the boots have worn in I've readjusted the shifter again to the perfect position and the shifts are as sweet as can be every time.

Now ...

I ventured to the shop the other day for some milk or whatever, so just had a regular pair of vans on. In the space of 2 miles I probably missed about 4 upshifts. I put this purely down to my Vans being a thin canvas material, and therefore I needed to lift my foot higher each time in order shift cleanly.
Since changing gear is an almost thoughtless task, its more or less done via muscle memory. When you ride in footwear different to what you normally ride in, your foot needs to move outside of its normal range of movement.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
"It's how your foot interacts with the shift lever that effects the effectiveness of your gear changes."

That's what I was basically saying, a thin shoe or more flexibly material made a huge difference as others have mentioned. Glad you agree :)

·
Registered
81 Posts
I suspect that if you're used to riding with a heavier boot, you'll learn that you don't have to put in as much effort when shifting. So it shouldn't be a big surprise when you apply that same learned technique with a different shoe/ boot, that it may affect the overall process. I imagine that people who consistently wear lighter boots/ shoes have generally learned how much effort is needed to operate their own bikes, not unlike the way you've learned to work with your particular gear.

It certainly may be the case that people just don't know how to properly shift gears, but I don't see how presuming incompetence is the most plausible explanation in a case where a significant number of complaints from experienced riders are saying similar things.

·
Registered
16 Posts
When I was riding home today, midway through my ride, I was trying to shift up when for the first time I hit a false neutral. The service mechanic briefed me about the false neutral possibly happening with the bike when shifting to 4th or 5th gear. I was kind of surprised.

I also wear a pretty sturdy boot, I don't think it was my footwear that caused that false neutral.

·
Registered
57 Posts
First few hundred miles I hit 3 false neutrals, and I also wear boots when I ride. Last 500 miles or so I haven't hit any. I think that I have adjusted my technique a bit, stabbing the shifter differently, definitely not gingerly

·
Registered
182 Posts
Treat the Ducati gear shift like any Italian Mistress and she will be loyal to you forever.

·
Registered
4 Posts
It does seem like a very firm foot movement is needed to avoid false neutrals.
I've even had it a couple of times between "real" neutral and 1st gear, where I've probably been too gentle with my down-shifting approaching a road junction.
I've also, just once, had it jump out of 2nd gear (or it could've been 1st gear) into a false neutral, which was a little disconcerting.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
No false neutrals here (new bike), just neutral is hard to find. Well, it's not hard to find actually, I KNOW where neutral is. The gearbox is just terribly notchy from first to neutral.

Best way to get it into neutral is to gently slip in neutral from second gear while coming to a halt.

I'll get used to it.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
It does seem like a very firm foot movement is needed to avoid false neutrals.
I've even had it a couple of times between "real" neutral and 1st gear, where I've probably been too gentle with my down-shifting approaching a road junction.
I've also, just once, had it jump out of 2nd gear (or it could've been 1st gear) into a false neutral, which was a little disconcerting.
I've only had false neutrals when going from 6th to 5th which is extremely rare now, but it sometimes feels like it's a double notch to get down to 5th when in the lower rev range, blipping the throttle definitely helps.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts