Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Let us name the child by its name... (does this make any sense in english language?)
- The long Plate holder thats on the Desert Sled isnt a beatuty... When i finally can afford the bike, that will be the first thing i gonna change... The rest of the design is pure love.
Now is question... Does the Plate holder from the 1100 pro or from the Icon match on the swing of the Desert Sled?

I think that kind of a plate holder will be look awesome... if it will work for the desert sled when you go off road is another question...

What do you guys think?
Plate Holder Icon.png Plate Holder Desert Sled.png

·
Registered
43 Posts
Both look pretty ugly in my opinion. Stick that thing were its visible just enough for the law not to complain.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I have a 2016 Icon. The 'mud-scraper' on the Icon is bolted to the swing-arm with two bolts on the top towards the back of the bike as you may be able to tell from the images you posted. The swing-arm on the DS is different, having been beefed up for more serious off-road riding. I don't know if the DS has those bolt holes but I'm thinking not.

That's not to say drilling and tapping is completely out of the question I guess but I'll leave that to the more mechanically minded amongst us.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have a 2016 Icon. The 'mud-scraper' on the Icon is bolted to the swing-arm with two bolts on the top towards the back of the bike as you may be able to tell from the images you posted. The swing-arm on the DS is different, having been beefed up for more serious off-road riding. I don't know if the DS has those bolt holes but I'm thinking not.

That's not to say drilling and tapping is completely out of the question I guess but I'll leave that to the more mechanically minded amongst us.
Let us name the child by its name... (does this make any sense in english language?)
- The long Plate holder thats on the Desert Sled isnt a beatuty... When i finally can afford the bike, that will be the first thing i gonna change... The rest of the design is pure love.
Now is question... Does the Plate holder from the 1100 pro or from the Icon match on the swing of the Desert Sled?

I think that kind of a plate holder will be look awesome... if it will work for the desert sled when you go off road is another question...

What do you guys think?
View attachment 45572 View attachment 45573
I think the NRC plate relocation works best with the DS. I opted for just the plate holder parts, not the NRC turn indicators. I have swapped out the stock turn indicators with the Ducati Scrambler “mini” LEDs since this picture was taken.
633CA23E-D2B6-4F64-BB7E-8ED6CE0FEAA1.jpeg

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hey @Kent

How did you mount the rear turn signals after removing the stock metal bracket that they were originally mounted to?

I think the NRC plate relocation works best with the DS. I opted for just the plate holder parts, not the NRC turn indicators. I have swapped out the stock turn indicators with the Ducati Scrambler “mini” LEDs since this picture was taken.
View attachment 45596

·
Registered
85 Posts
I didn’t completely remove that stock bracket. I actually just cut the back part of the bracket off just behind where the turn signals mount and the bracket attaches to the frame.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I just got rid of my serial plate holder at the Scrambler 1100 Sport and replaced it by an Evotech - looks much better now and no more "duck tail" in my eyes. No - this one does not fit to the 800 models and the fixation is different - you had to modify it.
I also installed the Evotech one for the 800 2019 ICON of my wife - cool look compared to the serial one. They also have one for the desert sled. Check their website.

Best Regards & Happy Weekend

Kurt

·
Registered
18 Posts
You can also hack the existing holder by cutting out that funky long section, welding the plate connection points back to the structural stuff, and repainting. The welds are clean and under the fender.

Plate Holder Hack.jpg

·
Registered
3 Posts
Both look pretty ugly in my opinion. Stick that thing were its visible just enough for the law not to complain.
I agree. The strange long poking out thing is pretty ugly.
I tried eliminating it completely with a home made tail tidy arrangement. This ended up looking too short ... and every time there was rain I ended up with mud all over my back.
So I went back to the drawing board. I first shortened the long Ducati tail light holder thing by cutting out 50 mm and welding it back together. I also bent the rear of it up by about 50 mm and ground off all mofnthe bits I did not want. After a coat of paint I came up with my own implementation of the plastic bucket rear guard extension (shown in another thread somewhere on this forum). Please don't laught until you look at it. The whole exercise cost me less than 20 bucks, looks reasonable ... and it stops the mud.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
I bought the New Rage Cycles license plate/turn signal relocator for two reasons. The first was to get rid of that ugly license plate boom. The second...because I ride off-road a bit. Every Ducati owner knows Genuine Ducati Parts are expensive. The thought of spending $$$ every time I put the Sled on its side or get a little too close to an inanimate object made spending the initial money for the NRC unit easier to handle. The holder is a good quality and pretty easy to install, particularly if your Sled came with LED signals because you won't need capacitors. There are YouTube videos available. The thing looks great on the bike. It really cleans up the lines. I have the NRC front signals on the way.

Some have wondered about the legality of the plate placement. As you can see in the picture, it is visible from the car behind you. Good enough that I don't think a Cop would cite you for it. Never say never, but I don't think so....unless it is covered with mud. Btw, I am a retired Cop.
20200926_103456.jpg
compliant in California.

·
Registered
49 Posts
You are lucky to live in the US respectively for this - in Switzerland you would have to pay a high penalty (driving without license plate) and the bike would get locked.... we have much stricter traffic laws here. Anyway - your bike looks good "without" license plate.... :) Have fun!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey Guys,
me, the discussion starter, have got out all my Microsoft-Paint-Skills ... Look what i did...

What would you prefer ? A or B ? Ducati DS Plateholder.png

1 - 15 of 15 Posts